MSM Side Effects...

Poohbear said:
For those of you experiencing these side effects, are you all taking more than the recommended dosage??? :smirk:

I would like to know because I'm interested in just taking MSM for overall health for the recommended dosage...

No more side effects for me....... 10,000 mg

I've increased my dosage now to 1 full teaspoon (3,000 mg) a day. I don't have any side effects at all. I think I'm going to increase it to 4,000mg on Wednesday this week.

I have noticed that my clothes are looser on me. Pants that are my favorite don't fit the same. (I'm not upset, I'm jumping for joy :yay: )

Have anyone else experience this? Not only are my pants looser, but my bra, my blouses are too. Ohhhhh boy...if this is doing what I think its doing....I am one happy woman!

Has anyone else noticed that their scalp is very tender sice taking the MSM? I used to scratch my scalp all the time when I wasn't washing that often, but now it's a very rare occurrence. However when I am a bad person, and do scratch, I notice that my scalp is very very tender and does not like the scratch at all. It feels almost sore after scratching, even if it's just a little bit! I'm currently taking 3,000 mg of MSM and 2500mcg of Biotin, so I'm not sure if it's either or those or none at all, but it is very strange! Has this happened to anyone else?

Nice & Wavy said:
I've increased my dosage now to 1 full teaspoon (3,000 mg) a day. I don't have any side effects at all. I think I'm going to increase it to 4,000mg on Wednesday this week.

I have noticed that my clothes are looser on me. Pants that are my favorite don't fit the same. (I'm not upset, I'm jumping for joy :yay: )

Have anyone else experience this? Not only are my pants looser, but my bra, my blouses are too. Ohhhhh boy...if this is doing what I think its doing....I am one happy woman!

I've increased my dosage to 1 teaspoon as well. I too am noticing looser closer clothes mainly in the buttocks and thighs. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the MSM. I wish it would have the same affect on my stomach! :lol:

divinefavor said:
I've increased my dosage to 1 teaspoon as well. I too am noticing looser closer clothes mainly in the buttocks and thighs. I was wondering if it had anything to do with the MSM. I wish it would have the same affect on my stomach! :lol:

I think it is the MSM because I'm not doing anything different other than taking the MSM. My stomach is also losing some inches and so if that is any consulation, yours will too!

Nice & Wavy said:

YES gurl! I thought I was the only one! I don't even get the huge bloating weight gain every month that I usually get during that time of the month. I'm so happy! :D :D :D I think the culprit is MSM. I have lost about 5 pounds since taking it. Even though I exercise sporadically, I don't think it's due to exercise. Exercise helps, but MSM has really trimmed down my tummy area! I can't believe it! My stomach is almost flat now! :D

You should check out my other post on the fitness section. I addressed this issue of MSM and weight loss. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=81395 I thought I was the only one. Glad to see that I'm not!

Crystalicequeen123 said:
YES gurl! I thought I was the only one! I don't even get the huge bloating weight gain every month that I usually get during that time of the month. I'm so happy! :D :D :D I think the culprit is MSM. I have lost about 5 pounds since taking it. Even though I exercise sporadically, I don't think it's due to exercise. Exercise helps, but MSM has really trimmed down my tummy area! I can't believe it! My stomach is almost flat now! :D

You should check out my other post on the fitness section. I addressed this issue of MSM and weight loss. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=81395 I thought I was the only one. Glad to see that I'm not!

This is great news! I'm going to keep track of this and make sure that I'm not just seeing things. I'm getting too excited...I've got to calm down :lol:
Thanks for your testimony about MSM and your weight loss.

Nice & Wavy said:

Crystalicequeen123 said:
YES gurl! I thought I was the only one! I don't even get the huge bloating weight gain every month that I usually get during that time of the month. I'm so happy! I think the culprit is MSM. I have lost about 5 pounds since taking it. Even though I exercise sporadically, I don't think it's due to exercise. Exercise helps, but MSM has really trimmed down my tummy area! I can't believe it! My stomach is almost flat now!

You should check out my other post on the fitness section. I addressed this issue of MSM and weight loss. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...ad.php?t=81395 I thought I was the only one. Glad to see that I'm not!
Weight loss? That is a very interesting side effect. I am at my ideal weight so I'm not really noticing anything in that area. I'll read some more of the posts in the Health & Fitness section. Thank you both for sharing this.

Isis said:
Weight loss? That is a very interesting side effect. I am at my ideal weight so I'm not really noticing anything in that area. I'll read some more of the posts in the Health & Fitness section. Thank you both for sharing this.

You are welcome Isis. I thought the same thing, so I was amazed when I tried on some more of my clothes and the same thing happened. I don't know why its happening, but I'm not going to complain!!!:look:

SohoHair said:
Has anyone else noticed that their scalp is very tender sice taking the MSM? I used to scratch my scalp all the time when I wasn't washing that often, but now it's a very rare occurrence. However when I am a bad person, and do scratch, I notice that my scalp is very very tender and does not like the scratch at all. It feels almost sore after scratching, even if it's just a little bit! I'm currently taking 3,000 mg of MSM and 2500mcg of Biotin, so I'm not sure if it's either or those or none at all, but it is very strange! Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes, I also posted about my soreness which I believe is newgrowth. Since taking MSM, even at the very beginning of 1500 mg /day, my scalp became sore. I recognized this kind of soreness since I know this is how newgrowth feels. This is another good side effect!

I had some raised bumps on the bottom of my face. I also had a noticeable blemish on my cheek. Once that passed, everything has been great. :) I have been taking it for a month, and my skin is tighter.

CantBeCopied said:
Seriously? WOW! Well, ladies....it's official then....that stuff must really work! Because my breasts have been swollen and slightly sore consistently since October (and no, I am not pregnant). I couldn't figure it out! ****I'm in shock right now**** Never realized I could make my "girls" grow! :p
Well this alone will keep me from buying this...boooo. I'm a 32F...no way do I want it bigger. Maybe I'll just stick to what I'm taking now. I wanted faster growth..I wonder if what I take plus topical Megatek will be enough...hm

Okay so I took evening primrose oil only a week or 2 because i was afarid how it could affect my hormones. I have been taking MSM 500 mg for years (part of my glucosamine/chondroitin formula) now due to arthritis and tmjd that are both very severe. Since I lost tons of hair due to a daily. Now I hear it can cause increase in breast growth!??!? And it makes sense it could if it is messing with peoples periods because that is a hormonal issue too. Ugh. I hate my current size C and always wished I was smaller. I am very petite and so large is not good for me. Now I am worried they have grown but cant say for sure since they fluctuate anyway from water retention, pms and so forth. Ugh, I dont want them bigger than they already are! :( I can stop taking it but worry the damage is done because my friend who got off BC, her breasts never did go back to their normal size and she has been off BC for years :(

ekomba said:
Hey Vevster, for me the side effects were softer , straighter and more manageable hair. It did alter the texture of my hair but it made it combable (i dont know if i can say this hahaha) i was able to comb it dry :grin: and from the roots to the tips and i m a natural 4b. but i advise to start low like 500-1000mg of msm or 1/4-1/8 teaspoon and to increase gradually else your body will go in detox. you will feel sick and nose runny as if you caught the flu but in fact you detoxing so not only that another side effect is if you consume too much i know i reached my limit which is 12,000mg but if you take a lot and then start to notice a sharp pain in the body around the abdomen or the side that kinda paralyze you for one minute and its a sharp strong pain, lower your consumption till you dont feel it or cut it completely for 2 days and restart gradually till you comfortable. i first noticed the hair was getting straight in the front and curlier in the back when i m a 4b and then when i went overboard i had the pain i know i tried 20,000mg so i went back to 12,000mg and dont feel nothing except softer and more manageable hair

Thank you for posting this ekomba. I felt that pain about a week ago.:eek:
I was sure it was my appendix. :lol: But then the pain went away. It only lasted for about a minute or two.

ekomba said:
I take 9000-12,000mg daily

Whoa whoa, I've been taking 1500 mg daily and am thinking of changing to 3000. But 12,000 :eek: how do you know this isn't too much? I know that MSM has the same toxicity as water, but economically, how do you know your body is absorbing all of this and not just flushing it all out and "wasting" your money?

Vicki in Oregon said:
Okay so I took evening primrose oil only a week or 2 because i was afarid how it could affect my hormones. I have been taking MSM 500 mg for years (part of my glucosamine/chondroitin formula) now due to arthritis and tmjd that are both very severe. Since I lost tons of hair due to a daily. Now I hear it can cause increase in breast growth!??!? And it makes sense it could if it is messing with peoples periods because that is a hormonal issue too. Ugh. I hate my current size C and always wished I was smaller. I am very petite and so large is not good for me. Now I am worried they have grown but cant say for sure since they fluctuate anyway from water retention, pms and so forth. Ugh, I dont want them bigger than they already are! :( I can stop taking it but worry the damage is done because my friend who got off BC, her breasts never did go back to their normal size and she has been off BC for years :(

I did not know that about breasts! Mine actually have gotten fuller but I did not know why. As a matter of fact, Saturday I wore a strapless bra that I used to have problems with because I did not quite fill in it. It fit great that night.

They have not gotten way bigger, just fuller.

I take 8000mg grams daily and I have been for several months now.

HighlyFavored1 said:
Whoa whoa, I've been taking 1500 mg daily and am thinking of changing to 3000. But 12,000 :eek: how do you know this isn't too much? I know that MSM has the same toxicity as water, but economically, how do you know your body is absorbing all of this and not just flushing it all out and "wasting" your money?

That is a lot, but I read in an MSM book that most people don't really experience the benefits of MSM usless they are taking 2,000 to 8,000 mg daily. And even more for those with severe problems like arthritis and such.

I don't knwo if anything has been posted like this before, but here are some suggested use charts: http://www.a1msm.co.uk/msm-suggested-use-charts.htm

There are many like this all over the place but they are all pretty similar.

A lot of you ladies mentioned increased hair growth. Has there also been an increase in the thickness and/or rate of growth in body hair and facial hair?
This would be the only deal breaker for me on whether or not to start taking MSM.

I stopped taking it because of facial hair growth. I was already getting 1-3 fine chin hairs that I would pluck. but after MSN they multipied and fast and thicker and darker! I talking I would pluck in the morning & at night.:perplexed BUT I do have to say My nails were very strong, and my face became more even. These are all hormonal changes we are experiencing. everyones body is different and will react differntly so I say try it and if you don't like the sideeffects then stop.

bumping this thread...I'm on my third day of MSM, and I feel like death. The flu-like symptoms are no joke. I'm chugging even more water than usual now, and it's getting a little better, but wow...

bumping this thread...I'm on my third day of MSM, and I feel like death. The flu-like symptoms are no joke. I'm chugging even more water than usual now, and it's getting a little better, but wow...

Flu-like symptoms?????? Please stop..

Back