How soon after using MSM did u feel the side effects?

The week I started using msm, within three days my nails were stronger. I was using 1000mg a day, lots of water. The next week i up-ed it to 1000mg twice a day and now i'm taking 2000mg twice a day. My skin is clear, my muscles ache less after a workout, i feel fabulous, and my hair appears to have growth. So far i've had no negative side effects to msm

Negative side effects? Within 2 days, I had a few cystic pimples. They went away within a week, though.

Positive side effects? Stronger, whiter tipped nails in a week. Clearer, brighter skin in 2 weeks. Increase in hair growth in a month. My knees no longer hurt when I play DDR (Dance Dance Revolution).

I take 1500 MG a day, tablet form.

I got a cystic on my forehead. Thank God it doesn't hurt anymore and my nails are already stronger. Can't say anything about aching muscles or knees because I'm a lazy slob and I don't work out.

I started with 800mg a day and upped it gradually....currently on 3,200mg (3.2g?) per day.
When i started,(after about a week) i had a couple of massive spots... they disappeared quickly though.
Now every one says i look younger. My skin glows and my nails that used to break off at any excuse are now very strong. My hair has been growing like mad (about a quarter inch per week) but i dont know whether its just because of the MSM. I have loads of energy and my digestion (of food) is better.

My fiancee has started taking it as well cos the health benefits are near unbelievable.

I take 2000mg a day in tablet form. I had a huge cystic pimple about two days after I started. It's since dissapeared. Also, I tend to get spots anyway, so I wasn't sure I could entirely attribute this to the MSM. HOWEVER, my skin actually glows now (and I don't cleanse in the evenings as regularly as I used to), I think my hair is growing out softer (but it's too early to tell as I've only been on it for two weeks now), my nails are growing fast, and generally I am feeling a little less tired. But I think you really need to give it time - and drink lots of water.

When I first started taking MSM, I had one large pimple on face. I had an energy surge as well. I took it every other day.

I skipped 2 weeks and started taking it again, but then I got a headache and got a cluster of bumps on my forehead.

I still take it every other day, but I will be more consistent. No skipping weeks.

Good Luck!

Oh, by the way,

I haven't seen much change in my hair, but it has tightened my skin considerably!

I couple it with EVOO facial washes and my skin is great (with the exception of the pimples, which are fading!)!

I just started taking it about 2 weeka ago. I usually have clear skin, but have noticed small, fine pimples since taking MSM. Nothing more than that though. Maybe I am not drinking enough water.

My nails usually grow soft and fragile, I have noticed that they've firmed up a bit. I'll give it a good month to see if anything is noticeable with its influence on my hair.

On MSM powder/crystals, you should start seeing, feeling results within the first week to 10 days. Some of the rougher side effects, like horrible headaches and cystic pimples will go away with lots of water and slightly decreasing your intake just a little and then moving slower to increase your dosage in the future. If you go off for a couple weeks and go back on, you may have to start over cause if you try and start back at a high dosage, you will hurt yourself. (Lawd) My new growth is softer but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't feel MSM has led to faster growth? My skin is amazing. It looks airbrushed even when I have no makeup or moisturizer on. I suppose I have good joints but, as another poster mentioned earlier, I'm a lazy slob so, I wouldn't really know. :lol:

Other side effects...better digestion, more flatulence :D (not the stank kind), better energy, healthier blood (this is my theory...I had a series of blood work done to monitor for cholesterol/diabetes/high blood, etc)...My blood levels were not even on the charts they were so good. They were the lowest in all the right places and the highest in all the right places. The nurses were shocked and amazed. I know it had to be the MSM cause both my parents have cholesterol, diabetes AND high blood pressure. So...it's well worth it.

I was taking 1000 mg for about two weeks when I noticed horrible dark spots on my face and shiner hair coming in. I upped my water intake and the spots didn't go away. I had to give it up. I was taking a drug store brand, if that makes a difference. I may try a smaller dose from GNC in the future.

BrownSkin2 said:
I was taking 1000 mg for about two weeks when I noticed horrible dark spots on my face and shiner hair coming in. I upped my water intake and the spots didn't go away. I had to give it up. I was taking a drug store brand, if that makes a difference. I may try a smaller dose from GNC in the future.

Wow! You guys are making me reconsider this MSM thing. I was taking it with glucosymine and condroiten for knee stiffness consistently a few months ago with no side effects. Just yesterday I bought more with higher doses of MSM 1000 mg each for my hair regime. Should I take half that for starters. I do not want skin eruptions!:eek:

Royal Glory said:
Wow! You guys are making me reconsider this MSM thing. I was taking it with glucosymine and condroiten for knee stiffness consistently a few months ago with no side effects. Just yesterday I bought more with higher doses of MSM 1000 mg each for my hair regime. Should I take half that for starters. I do not want skin eruptions!:eek:
I am taking about 1400 mg this way as well , no bad side effects yet. I will slowly up the dosage.

My nails are growing like crazy so it's either the biotin, MSM or both. But I notice the MSM has helped my knees when I do squats and other lower body exercises. I'm a retired gymnast and my knees are shot so that's a wonderful result for me. I've been taking it for a little over a month, 1500mg twice a day. No pimples, heavy periods, cramping or any negative side effects so far.

I am going to have to get me some MSM soon. I need something to help out with my skin since I am getting of Birth Control. Congratulations on all the success you all have had with this MSM!

Im on week 2 of taking msm...I have a no side effects at all so far...no neon urine or nothing. However, my mom mentioned that my skin looks brighter/lighter. It looks clearer. I also noticed my new growth seems straighter...it sticks up in the hair like somewhat weavy hair texture.

Today, I'm on day 7 and my scalp tingled a bit. I hope its a sign of growth to come.:look:

After reading all the post on MSM i want to try it but will wait until the first of Nov...will take it for an entire month and see the positive and negative results. If i like what i see i will add it to my list of supplements.

I've been taking it for about a week now (6,000mg's a day). I'm also taking Country Life Hair vitamins. My hair is growing like CRAZY! I got powdered MSM from www.vitacost.com for 13 bucks! Well worth it. I just did a fresh relaxer last thursday and already look 2-3 weeks post. Feels like I need a touch up in the crown area already!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've dealt with a lot of skin problems and a lady at church mentioned it looked like my skin was clearing up fast!:D I have "good nail" genes so my nails naturally gorw long and thick but now it's ridiculous! I have to trim my toe nails and fingernails a lot more often.

Now if only I could get that weight loss side effect someone else was talking about.:( No matter what I do, diet, exercise, cleanse, I always stay around 187.5!:mad:

kbragg said:
I've been taking it for about a week now (6,000mg's a day). I'm also taking Country Life Hair vitamins. My hair is growing like CRAZY! I got powdered MSM from www.vitacost.com for 13 bucks! Well worth it. I just did a fresh relaxer last thursday and already look 2-3 weeks post. Feels like I need a touch up in the crown area already!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've dealt with a lot of skin problems and a lady at church mentioned it looked like my skin was clearing up fast!:D I have "good nail" genes so my nails naturally gorw long and thick but now it's ridiculous! I have to trim my toe nails and fingernails a lot more often.

Now if only I could get that weight loss side effect someone else was talking about.:( No matter what I do, diet, exercise, cleanse, I always stay around 187.5!:mad:

wow? really how tall are u...your face doesnt even look bad at all i have bad acne so im ready for it to help clear up my skin!

Dannygirl said:
wow? really how tall are u...your face doesnt even look bad at all i have bad acne so im ready for it to help clear up my skin!

I'm 5'8" (definately did't get that from my mom's side, they're all barely brushing 5'0'!)

I had make up on in that pic (I only wear make up for pics because I hate how it feels on my skin) but I've had REALLY bad hyperpigmentation as a result of a very emotionally painful acne outbreak during my second pregnancy. I've tried so many things to get rid of the brown spots on my face and nothing ever worked except Mama Lotion (and it works, but after a while it slows down and it's soooo sticky and stinky!:( ). I definately notice a lightening in the brown spots especially on my cheeks!:)

M J said:
Oh, by the way,

I haven't seen much change in my hair, but it has tightened my skin considerably!

I couple it with EVOO facial washes and my skin is great (with the exception of the pimples, which are fading!)!

I haven't noticed any changes in my hair because I am wearing a weave but my face looks fab. The EVOO and baking soda scrubs have been a great help as well.

Back