kimmaytubes new line, who will try?

I'm sure plenty of people will support her. Folks have been waiting for this. I just don't order things online. I'm am DIY'er and I love making my own things. I also only get things on the ground. All the best for her though. :yep:

I also make my own concoctions(emulsions)
And I'm surprised to say that I don't see anything special in her ingredient lists.
Even the shampoo/cleanser has a petrolateum-derived(cocamidopropyl betaine)

And I'm surprised to say that I don't see anything special in her ingredient lists.

Cocamidopropyl betaine is can also be derived from coconut oil.

Last edited:
Yes Cocobetaine, just like Cetyl Alcohol, can (often) be derived by coconut and not by petrolatum.

Sodium Benzoate can cause cancer and produce benzene only if it is combined with vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which doesn't happen in her products.

A plus that she mentioned and that I noticed is that she does not use preservatives like the usual phenoxyethanol and optiphen. It is more difficult to preserve products (long term) this way and it takes testing, but you don't have the usual toxins that preservatives have. I like it.

Yes Cocobetaine, just like Cetyl Alcohol, can (often) be derived by coconut and not by petrolatum.

Sodium Benzoate can cause cancer and produce benzene only if it is combined with vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which doesn't happen in her products.

A plus that she mentioned and that I noticed is that she does not use preservatives like the usual phenoxyethanol and optiphen. It is more difficult to preserve products (long term) this way and it takes testing, but you don't have the usual toxins that preservatives have. I like it.

Thank you soooo much for clarifying!

Why don't a lot of yall like glycerine? And like any other line, if I keep hearing good reviews on it, Imma wanna try it. Well, if the prices ain't too wild!

Why don't a lot of yall like glycerine? And like any other line, if I keep hearing good reviews on it, Imma wanna try it. Well, if the prices ain't too wild!

Glycerin can sometimes make the hair hard, sticky, or dull. This happens to my hair when I use too much. That's why I use 1/2 teaspoon of glycerin to 1 cup water when making my own spritz.

When highly diluted or used in the right combination, my hair thrives on glycerin. I get very soft hair in all seasons and climates.

I'll be honest...I've been waiting on this line to come out. I'll definitely make a purchase.

ETA: Ouch...this line is a bit pricey :ohwell:.

Cocamidopropyl betaine is can also be derived from coconut oil.

That's called having various origins. but only in this case, cocamidopropyl betaine is mainly from petrochemistry, due to its propyl part.
checking on internet can be good, but I think it's better to ask to someone who knows well chemistry. Cause it's not because something has a organic origin that mean it's natural. hydrogenated oil used to be organic but the hydrogenated process makes/transforms them totally synthetic.
kinda hard to not explain that in my mother tongue, but I think now it's up to you to think cocomidroproply is "natural".
an other idea : in Europe every cosmetic product that contains cocamidopropyl betaine won't have the "organic" certification. but I know in USA, certifications aren't important.

@Krystle~Hime
Thanks for clarifying, this may change the relationship between my soap making supplier and I, since she basically gave me this information when I was trying to make my shower gels, etc. I bought cocobetaine, thinking it would be a different ingredient (=no propyl). I am now wondering if the 2 are just called differently, because if I discover that they are the same stuff I'm going to laugh first, and get annoyed after.
It would be like discovering that petrolatum tomorrow can also be called "MANGOSTUFF" because there's 1% mango in it :lachen:, and the vendor would tell me "it's mango derived, you know". It would NOT be pleasant.

I don't have a need for any of her products. I'm pretty much set with what I have. But they look nice and I like the names and descriptions.

That's called having various origins. but only in this case, cocamidopropyl betaine is mainly from petrochemistry, due to its propyl part.
checking on internet can be good, but I think it's better to ask to someone who knows well chemistry. Cause it's not because something has a organic origin that mean it's natural. hydrogenated oil used to be organic but the hydrogenated process makes/transforms them totally synthetic.
kinda hard to not explain that in my mother tongue, but I think now it's up to you to think cocomidroproply is "natural".
an other idea : in Europe every cosmetic product that contains cocamidopropyl betaine won't have the "organic" certification. but I know in USA, certifications aren't important.

that's why i love you:yep:!

I never said cocamidopropyl betaine was "natural". 99% of products marketed as being natural are not (Aubrey, giovanni, nature's gate, the new natural "homemade" brands such as afroveda, hairveda, etc...). I don't fall for the hype. Most of the "natural" butters are just hydrogenated oils. I have an understanding of chemistry and cosmetic chemistry.

I tried making my own emulsions but have failed most of the time. Do you have any links to recipes by chance?

Why do people dislike her?

I would like to know too. I know there was a YT drama fest between her, Taren916 (Guy), AfricanExport back in 2010, but I don't know if people are still fuming over it.

In short, glycerine dries my hair out when the weather is dry and dew points are low.

I am going to try all 4 on my fine, 4b hair and my daughter's thick 4b hair and my son's 4a/3cb mb dreads that I take down every 3 months.

I have sensitive skin and I have to be careful of the preservatives in my hair products. She doesn't use the ones that I am sensitive to. I am allergic to avocado too and none of her products contain them.

I am not a fan/Stan and I watched her kimmaytube leave-in recipe video once.

I will put any issues I have with her personality aside to buy a product that I won't have a reaction to. I think she has done her research and I believe her product has been tested for safety.

I received my products today and plan on using them this weekend with a henna treatment..... What a way to try them. They do smell good and have a creamy consistency..... Will report back.

I tried all 4 products several weeks ago. I'm a big fan of Kimmaytube and I love her YouTube leave-in recipe. However, I did not care for this product line in it's entirety.

Unfortunately, I felt the commercially produced leave-in was nothing like the original recipe. This leave-in left my hair sticky and stiff and it smelled terrible! It has an overwhelming strawberry fragrance that made me want to gag! I was heartbroken because I had high hopes for the product and my hair.

The detangler was an equal mess to the leave-in. I get so much more from a homemade concoction or cheaply conditioner.

The shampoo was reasonable and met my expectations. It was very cleansing and did not strip my hair at all. It had just the right amount of moisture and slip! I wouldn't leap to purchase it again though because there are a number of readily accessible and fairly priced alternatives that work well for me (no sulfate, no sillicone).

I LOVE THE CONDITONER!! It was Amazing!!! I would definitely purchase "if" it came in a larger size. This product gave me an excellent deep moisturizing treatment and my hair loooved it! I may consider buying multiple bottles to meet my needs if any of my staples get discontinued.

If anyone cares: I'm natural, thick 4bc...

HTH HHJ

Last edited:
Philosophy said:
I tried all 4 products several weeks ago. I'm a big fan of Kimmaytube and I love her YouTube leave-in recipe. However, I did not care for this product line in it's entirety.

Unfortunately, I felt the commercially produced leave-in was nothing like the original recipe. This leave-in made left my hair sticky and stiff and it smelled terrible! It has an overwhelming strawberry fragrance that made me want to gag! I was heartbroken because I had high hopes for the product and my hair.

The detangler was an equal mess to the leave-in. I get so much more from a homemade concoction or cheaply conditioner.

The shampoo was reasonable and met my expectations. It was very cleansing and did not strip my hair at all. It had just the right amount of moisture and slip! I wouldn't leap to purchase it again though because there are a number of readily accessible and fairly priced alternatives that work well for me (no sulfate, no sillicone).

I LOVE THE CONDITONER!! It was Amazing!!! I would definitely purchase "if" it came in a larger size. This product gave me an excellent deep moisturizing treatment and my hair loooved it! I may consider buying multiple bottles to meet my needs if any of my staples get discontinued.

If anyone cares, I'm a natural thick 4bc...

HTC HHJ

Aw, now I am not so excited. What was wrong with the detangler?

Aw, now I am not so excited. What was wrong with the detangler?

It was way too thick as a detangler and despite its ingredients, it didn't have enough slip. It was however, a decent moisturizing conditioner. I may consider adding a something to give it slip so that I may use the rest of it as a conditioner (should I ever become desperate). The detangler has a HORRID strong scent of an orange creamsicle! I don't like orange creasicles so maybe I'm biased. Tis all...

pookaloo83 said:
Why would you order 3 of something and you don't even know if you'll like it? :look:

Because I have 3 naturals and I live in ALASKA and shipping is a rip off. pookaloo83 we have to buy in bulk up here. If no one in my household can use it I include it in a box of stuff when I mail to family. If I buy anything online I make sure the shipping is worth the cost. Shipping is crazy high.

Last edited:
So y'all don't think I am crazy. Flat rate shipping for a medium box is 11.35 add on del.confirm and insurance it is over 16.00 for shipping. If I buy one or two items it will cost 40.00 to ship for product and shipping.
In a couple of weeks I need more and will cost 16.00 in shipping again. So far that is 32.00 for shipping alone. I looked at the ingredients and figured one of the 3 of us would like it. I would rather buy enough than throw away shipping costs by turning around and reordering and having ti wait forever for the product.

I tried the detangler and the leave-in. My hair loves these products. The leave-in made my hair manageable, soft and moisturized. I was impressed with the ingredients list before purchasing, since my hair loves slippery elm, and glycerin. I predict her product line will be a winner in the future.

as more product reviews come about and if she decides to make 16oz sizes i may give it a try. the ingredients look great my hair is not that picky so they would likely work well.

Back