Is your hair cut/growing in a V shape, U shape, cut even or uneven??? 2008 edition

What shape is your hair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Divine Inspiration

So today I noticed that my thread from September 2005 was bumped. My hair is not the same shape, and I'm sure this is true of many other members who voted in that thread.

So, let's update our current shapes and discuss.

I was a V shape when I made the original thread, and I did not like it. I preferred a U, but my hair grows in a V so it was a challenge to maintain. I am currently even with blunt ends...my hair is just past brastrap. I've been trimming every 2 months or so to maintain this length.

Your turn! :)

Re: Is your hair cut/growing in a V shape, U shape, cut even or uneven??? 2008 editio

My hair also grows in a V and I trim blunt at least ever 3 months. Its taken me longer to reach my length goals, but I can't stand the V for myself.

The M and W shape options are differnt. I hadn't heard of them before, but it makes sense.

Re: Is your hair cut/growing in a V shape, U shape, cut even or uneven??? 2008 editio

My hair grows in an upside down U :sad:
But since I rarely wear it down (and when I do, it's a braid out) I'll let it grow like that until the shortest part is past BSL....then I won't mind trimming it.

My hair also grows in a V and I trim blunt at least ever 3 months. Its taken me longer to reach my length goals, but I can't stand the V for myself.

The M and W shape options are differnt. I hadn't heard of them before, but it makes sense.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how many ladies struggle with hair that grows in weird or breakage in the middle or sides that results in the M or W shape.

My hair grows in somewhere between a V and U shape. I just let it grow how it wants because personally I don't like blunt cuts.

I keep my hair nice and even. I've always liked it like that (like in my siggy).

Mine grows into a u shape. See my avi

I always thought my hair grew in a U, but it's in a V now. I don't know if I trimmed it that way, or if it's just growing that way as it gets longer...

It naturally grows in a v, but I keep a long layered u-shape. I don't mind my layers. the longest in back as of saturday is literally midback and the sides are about bsl or so. Just trying to let it grow out.

My hair grows in a U and V shape. Its kinda complicated to explain, but right after I relax my hair looks V-ish, but after a few weeks it takes on a U shape. I like the U shape better. It makes my hair look fuller and thicker.:yep:

I'm a U.. I have just come to the realization that I will never be a blunt anything because I would have to cut the middle...

My hair is in a v shape, which is how I like it right now. I'm not particular fond of blunt cuts, but I think they are helpful when trying certain styles. I don't currently cut my hair at all. But when it's time to maintain, I will probably maintain it in a u or v shape. I just think that looks really nice with long curly hair. I've always admired that kind of hemline for curly hair since the beginning of my "journey". I always leave room for the possibility that I will change my mind, though.

It use to be "Even", "V" , and now its "Even" again.....

My hair grows evenly, which is great for me, because I plan to do a blunt cut in 2009. I love a thick, blunt hemline, and since my hair is pretty much even already, I won't lose too much length in the process. :grin:

ETA: I see there are a couple of votes for the W shape. A few years ago (before I found this board), I would have voted that way, too. But now I know that my hair only grew in a W shape because the center nape area was overprocessed, not properly moisturized and constantly breaking off on my collars/clothing. I hope this helps someone because it could be the reason for the W shape.

Last edited:

My hair grows in a U and V shape. Its kinda complicated to explain, but right after I relax my hair looks V-ish, but after a few weeks it takes on a U shape. I like the U shape better. It makes my hair look fuller and thicker.:yep:

Mine grows like this too! It's odd, but I keep praying:yep: the rest of my hair will catch-up to the tail.

its a " U " with layers in the front im growing out my bangs

My hair grows longer on the right side than the left. I really don't know why, I don't think I'm doing anything different to either side.

My hair typically grows in a V shape.

V and I like it.

I cut my hair into a U shape and love it! I love U's :D

My hair grows in a natural U shape sometimes it looks blunt cut somtimes uneven lol.

My hair naturally grows in a V. I'm growing it long enough to get it cut to a full, blunt APL then growing again from there to get a full, blunt BSL. For all I know I could change my mind though so I'll see

My hair grows in a V shape and I love it. I don't ever have to worry about my hair looking uneven. I can go a very long time without trimming :grin:.

my hair is naturally layered....is that natural?? LOL

My hair naturally grows in a V-shape...I used to obsess about cutting the V out, but now I think I'll leave it alone.

I think my hair does the same thing.

i def. have a U shape and natural layers since the front grows slower than the back.:ohwell: i can cut it even within a few weeks the U is back i don't mind it tho it looks good, that means ill reach a blunt APL faster than most.:grin:

I now understand what the V shape means. My hair does grow in this pattern. The sides are always always longer than the back of my hair. I guess that's why I always wear a bob. Are there any ladies whose growth pattern is like this and able to grow BSL. Please advise.:newbie:

Back