Interfaith prayer?

Glib Gurl

What are your thoughts on interfaith prayer meetings and whatnot. I know that we are a pluralistic society and I definitely respect other religions and cultures. However, I don't know if I'm down for praying with people who pray to other gods . . . .

Anyone have any experience with these types of meetings?

SEMO

It's a no no for me. Christ and other gods don't mix. :nono:

2 Corinthians 6: 14,15
14Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?

PaperClip

What are your thoughts on interfaith prayer meetings and whatnot. I know that we are a pluralistic society and I definitely respect other religions and cultures. However, I don't know if I'm down for praying with people who pray to other gods . . . .

Anyone have any experience with these types of meetings?

How do you mean? Like a public service of some kind (like a prayer breakfast or open event) or like a specific prayer meeting where folk of different faiths are gathered?

If it's the former, I've been to such events and when representatives of other faiths get up to pray, I bow my head and close my eyes and meditate on Jesus!:grin:

If you mean a prayer meeting where folk of different faiths are gathering to specifically pray? Simply, I'm not there at all or I'm leaving.

14Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? 15Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever?

I agree..

momi

I do not agree - my husband is asked to pray at meetings on occasion where they ask in a round about way that the prayer be made "general". He always ignores this request and is sure to end the prayer in Jesus' name.

Edited to correct omitted word

shalom

How do you mean? Like a public service of some kind (like a prayer breakfast or open event) or like a specific prayer meeting where folk of different faiths are gathered?

If it's the former, I've been to such events and when representatives of other faiths get up to pray, I bow my head and close my eyes and meditate on Jesus!:grin:

If you mean a prayer meeting where folk of different faiths are gathering to specifically pray? Simply, I'm not there at all or I'm leaving.

I remove myself from the santuary.

blazingthru

I agree 100%

Ms.Honey

We can respect other peoples beliefs without disrespecting Jesus. Not praying to their gods is not disrespectful. I believe people respect us and the Lord when we chose not to compromise. Acknowledging others beliefs will not bring peace. We will not have peace on earth until Jesus returns.

Ramya

Yep pretty much. Generally if I can't leave the room politely or unnoticed then I concentrate on Jesus or my favorite scripture at the time. I won't let a person of another faith lead me in prayer. Nope not going to happen :nono: