Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

janeemat

16 weeks in with 16 weeks before I relax. Keeping my hair braided right up with extensions. I DC weekly with WEN and Joico GVP. Every three to 4 days, douse my hair in braid spray and at night, using a sulfur mix on my scalp.

Had a set back last stretch, so I'm not taking any chances with this stretch....

Beans please share what happened during your last stretch. Didn't you stretch a year???

janeemat

Ladies please help me, i am seeking feedback/advice.

I am really considering my stylist's proposal to me. She quoted me a discount price to visit her every 6 wks to get my ends in shape including a deep conditioning and blowout.

My concerns are she's ALWAYS wanted me visit her frequently in the past, which i feel like this is one reason it's self. Plus when i comes to my hair i am a plain jane, i don't flatiron or blow dry my hair at all. By going to my stylist every 6 wks i will be getting it blown out and flat ironed. Which is non negotiable (we had that talk in the beginning) and who's to say necessarily if it will be an over kill?

I am very frustrated at this point. I have been on this board (which seems like forever) and seen you lovely ladies transition, bc, start from a bald head and reach your goals like twice. I've even seen plenty of women who start their journey after or at the same time as me with a shorter length than myself reach WL and beyond.

Sorry for ranting but i feel like i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and dunno what to do. What would you do? I have not had any real setbacks but my first stylist being scissor happy with me for a few years. Also not always being consistent places a major part, too. Are my ends really holding me back? Something has to give. TIA.

Dang this sounds like me. I could have written this because I have NEVER been able to reach full BSL. And I won't reach it now because I flat ironed over the weekend and wacked off 2 inches horrible ends of hair. I am right at 12 wks post. I guess I will just keep on keeping on.

beans4reezy

[/B]

Beans please share what happened during your last stretch. Didn't you stretch a year???

Yeah girl! Stretched a year and a half actually. When I finally relaxed, I was expecting, BOOM, BANG, BSL-POW..and all I got was meh....:look:

I just wasn't deep conditioning like I should. I thought the better thing to do was little manipulation, so I'd go as long as four weeks w/o washing & DC'ing...huge mistake.

This time around, I am only stretching to 32 weeks AND weekly washing and DC'ing. I'm also keeping my hair in braids...moisture and retention is the name of the game.

Last edited:

janeemat

Yeah girl! Stretched a year and a half actually. When I finally relaxed, I was expecting, BOOM, BANG, BSL-POW..and all I got was meh....:look:

I just wasn't deep conditioning like I should. I thought the better thing to do was little manipulation, so I'd go as long as four weeks w/o washing & DC'ing...huge mistake.

This time around, I am only stretching to 32 weeks AND weekly washing and DC'ing. I'm also keeping my hair in braids...moisture and retention is the name of the game.

Well at least now you have learned what your hair needs. Good luck on your journey!

MsDee14

beans4reezy What was your reggie during that stretch? Did you moisturize a lot while in the PS's? Just asking because I keep my hair in twists for 3 weeks at a time and only wash and dc every 3 weeks while moisturizing and rinsing my scalp in between.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Peeking in at 60 wks post. How are you ladies hanging?

janeemat

Peeking in at 60 wks post. How are you ladies hanging?

Wow! Are you still officially transitioning? If I could stretch that long and keep my hair on my head, I'm sure I would go natural. I am almost 4 months post only because I did a demi color 4 wks ago. So I did not want to take it chances and relax. And I am also experimenting with my regi some.:look:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Wow! Are you still officially transitioning? If I could stretch that long and keep my hair on my head, I'm sure I would go natural. I am almost 4 months post only because I did a demi color 4 wks ago. So I did not want to take it chances and relax. And I am also experimenting with my regi some.:look:

There's not turning back at this point. Once I fought thru the detangling issues, I think I have a handle on it....for now.

wheezy807

Anyone still doing this? I feel like i'm at a crossroad with my hair. Very dissatisfied and confused. I just saw a thead about Macheriehair that made me even more confused. I need a change and I don't quite know what. Maybe stretching for a year will help me figure out if I wanna be natural or not.

Incrediblehairgirl

Anyone still doing this? I feel like i'm at a crossroad with my hair. Very dissatisfied and confused. I just saw a thead about Macheriehair that made me even more confused. I need a change and I don't quite know what. Maybe stretching for a year will help me figure out if I wanna be natural or not.

I do. Just came off a 33 week stretch in January

Amcd

I'm about 44 weeks post. Not sure what I'm doing. Not sure if I'm going natural or not. I'll wait until school (I'm a teacher) is out to decide. I've conquered detangling between the two textures so I will figure out what I'm doing in June. If I don't stay natural I will texlax instead of relax to help keep some of the thickness.

Smiley79

I dunno, i think im bored. I'm sitting there thinking of relaxing and becoming a long term stretcher. I've tried that before but still hadn't nailed my haircare regimen as relaxed head....I dunno what I want. Just thinking out loud.