Inspired by Sylver2 -- The Long-Term Stretch Challenge

45 weeks post texlax.

Trying not to look down but I feel a nosebleed coming on. Holy. Macaroni. :blush:

Dang NJoy! So seriously, you have not put any chemical in your hair in 45 weeks...almost a year. How do you ladies do it?

DDTex back...finally!:lol: I have been very busy running around. I did a JFM texture softner because I wanted an easier time straitening my hair. I have been scorching my hair trying to heat train. I have decided a chemical is less damaging than heat. This thread encouraged me to do a long stretch. The softner did not remove all my texture, so I can still do twists. It just takes me less time to do them. I no longer need heat to do my buns. I am also shedding less as well. It's a winner for me. I hope to get pics by the week end.

Dang NJoy! So seriously, you have not put any chemical in your hair in 45 weeks...almost a year. How do you ladies do it?

janeemat divachyk

No chemicals. I've been pretty much keeping my hair in Celie braids, which don't look so crazy at longer lengths with the ends curles. I usually have a scarf tied around the edges like a headband and the braids hanging or pinned up. Oh, and I finally realized that I can NOT detangle in the shower. I wash, DC and moisturize my hair in braids, put Crisco on the ends (which keeps the ends of my braids from tangling. A BIG issue for me) and let it airdry. Then I'm able to easily detangle. THIS is the thing that has been saving me from tangles and matting. :yep:

I tried curlformers for the first time and that worked very well. And I'm remembering to stay on top of my protein game.

I'm not having any shedding or major breakage issues like I was the first time around. Of course, I'm not under the same stress this time around either.

I went to see Diana Ross in concert last night and tried to do a twist out. My straight ends ruined the effect so I ended up putting my hair in a big, juicy bun. This is the first time that I've had my hair out of Celie braids or twists in a minute. But, because of a really good moisturizing DC, my hair is so friggen soft, fluffy and manageable now.

Check out my basic bun (with no forms, fillers or clip tricks):
028-1.jpg
:yep:

Taking my hair out of those twists after that DC (I did use Joico Kpak before the overnight DC), my hair looked so full and amazing! That's enough to keep me stretching. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a transition. It seems to be going very well right now.

I noticed that my bonelaxed ends like to tangle with my texlaxed/natural textures so, I Crisco after adding my moisturizers all of the bonelaxed portion. My hair after airdrying slides right out of any tangles.

janeemat divachyk

No chemicals. I've been pretty much keeping my hair in Celie braids, which don't look so crazy at longer lengths with the ends curles. I usually have a scarf tied around the edges like a headband and the braids hanging or pinned up. Oh, and I finally realized that I can NOT detangle in the shower. I wash, DC and moisturize my hair in braids, put Crisco on the ends (which keeps the ends of my braids from tangling. A BIG issue for me) and let it airdry. Then I'm able to easily detangle. THIS is the thing that has been saving me from tangles and matting. :yep:

I tried curlformers for the first time and that worked very well. And I'm remembering to stay on top of my protein game.

I'm not having any shedding or major breakage issues like I was the first time around. Of course, I'm not under the same stress this time around either.

I went to see Diana Ross in concert last night and tried to do a twist out. My straight ends ruined the effect so I ended up putting my hair in a big, juicy bun. This is the first time that I've had my hair out of Celie braids or twists in a minute. But, because of a really good moisturizing DC, my hair is so friggen soft, fluffy and manageable now.

028-1.jpg

Taking my hair out of those twists after that DC (I did use Joico Kpak before the overnight DC), my hair looked so full and amazing! That's enough to keep me stretching. Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a transition. It seems to be going very well right now.

I noticed that my bonelaxed ends like to tangle with my texlaxed/natural textures so, I Crisco after adding my moisturizers all of the bonelaxed portion. My hair after airdrying slides right out of any tangles.

NJoy
That bun is gorgeous! I can't wait till you're completely naturally. I'm right behind you at 41 weeks post.

Last edited:
Great job ladies NJoy it sounds like you have your transition on point.

I'm currently 24 weeks post but keeping my hair in protective styles (weaves) until I'm ready to BC. I'll continue to follow this tread because it gives me inspiration.

I will be 13 weeks post tomorrow and feeling like I need a henna treatment bad so I will give myself one tomorrow and attempt to stretch an additional 13 weeks afterwards and then texlax....hopefully!

@janeemat @divachyk

028-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing NJoy! You and that fat bun looks really nice. I guess you are hiding the ceily plaits under a wig....like when you got to work and out.

@NJoy what moisturizing dc did you use? Did you use heat? How long did you let it stay on your hair before rinsing?

I usually whip up my own DC concoctions. This last one, I used Suave Humectant as a base (I usually use plain Cholesterol conditioner) and added molassess, EVOO, AVG, JBCO, garlic extract and sage and rosemary EO's. The mixture looks like a pumpkin squash mask. I kept it in as an overnight DC with a plastic cap.

Thanks for sharing NJoy! You and that fat bun looks really nice. I guess you are hiding the ceily plaits under a wig....like when you got to work and out.

I do wear them under a wig if I feel like I need to. But mostly, I use scarves and other accessories to wear them up or let them hang down with the ends curled. To keep my hair from the cold weather, I've been wearing snoods a lot. I may or may not put on a plastic cap, covered by a black satin cap and then the snood (so that you don't see the plastic underneath). Also, I mostly work from home so it's no biggie.

@NJoy: You are doing so well with the stretching deal. Congrats! Do you intend to relax in the future?

afrochique

I don't know that I am. I haven't even thought about relaxing, even tho I have 2 kits in my closet...just in case. I think at this point, It's hard to tell the difference between the ng and the texlaxed hair so more than just wanting to be natural, I think I just don't want to mess my hair up. I said that I'd consider myself officially transitioning if I make it to 52 weeks. I'm sneaking up on 46 wks and starting to feel like I'm getting the hang of this so, we'll see. :spinning:

Thanks for the support. :yep:

I think i will definitely be trying to stretch for 5-6 months again on a regular basis instead of 3-4 months. I am already at 3 months post and my hair is still doing very well. I can defo do this:yep: :look:

54 weeks, headed to 60, maybe more. At the least, I should be fully WL by then since I was fully MBL after my last relaxer.

Haha NJoy, thanx!

I'm not much for posting, and I rarely take pics, but I will try. I am gonna use your Crisco idea for my relaxed ends as you mentioned doing upthread. And one day I will be joining you in transitioning. For now I'm keeping my hair in plaits and loving my new growth.

Just posted in the other thread 17 weeks post. Don't have a set goal, thinking to relax by May or when my hair seriously starts tangling. Thank you knot today.

43 wks post texlax tomorrow.

Last night I found myself questioning my plan to transition to natural. I mean, on the one hand, I love the thickness that I'm seeing now. But, I'm almost always going to have to flat iron to show my length and I'm not good at flat ironing.

Then I think about the chemicals in the relaxer actually breaking down my hair and how flimsy it looks in comparison to my natural hair.

And as far as my texlaxed hair, sometimes I think it's disturbed just enough to put it into a state that it doesn't know how to act.

And wait, I'm not done. Would my relaxed hair look as skimpy if it were all relaxed? I mean, by comparison, yes. But my relaxed hair never looked skimpy until I started mixing textures. Sometimes I wonder how I allowed myself to get caught up in change when my hair was still growing while relaxed.

Oh, this is a schitzophrenic day for me. What to do? What to do? :perplexed

I guess I'll do nothing right now. But I'm thinking. I'm ready to start wearing my hair long. How terrible would it be to relax and then keep my hair strong with henna? :ohwell:

This...again. :skitzo:

At 47 wks post, it's just a few weeks til 1 yr post. What to do? What to do?

I'm having no problems in particular right now. I don't have the breakage that I was getting with the last stretch. Just wondering which way to go at 1 yr post. BC? Continue transitioning? Or texlax?

What are your thoughts, ladies?

Dont fix what ain't broken--however I feel u on wanting to show your length. If your hair is healthy with the chems then relax.

I am not even sure how far long I am. I lost count. I think I am approximately 32 weeks. Still trying to hang in there.

48 wks post. Planning a yogurt/banana/coconut DC to try to loosen this ng. I haven't been doing much with it because I haven't been feeling well so, you can imaging how my roots are rebelling. :nono: He'p me lawd.

I did a corrective with Africa's Best relaxer. I will never use a different relaxer again! The relaxer was so gentle, I did not over process and I was still able to leave some texture in my hair. I can now use very low heat to smooth my hair out. Roller sets will be my main style as I stretch my relaxers. I am very happy with my progress, now. This relaxer had no color change on my hair. Usually, relaxers turn my hair a funny color brown. This didn't. No chemical smell, no bad effects. I just can't contain my joy.:yep:

Back