***!!! ~ I'm a Survivor ~ !!! ***

aprils13

That's very encouraging, Gissellr78. I mean, that hair of yours convinces me!

Thanks for the hug. Here's one for you {{BIG HUG}}

I used Rogaine a few years ago for about a month...i became too hair on my face and began to break out. When I stopped using it, i had a TON of hair to fall out in clumps. Worse than before.

I've heard of those who are using it with great success. Every body is different and hopefully this works very well for you. Did your doc suggest cortisone injections or cortisone creams - I think those work well, too ( for some, that is).

She told me about different options but I decided to try rogaine first. I also prescription foam that is supposed to stop the spreading of hair loss.
We'll see how that goes.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Rockette,
Are you stressin' out? I ask because this is always a factor with alopecia, imo.

Have you tried MN?

Le sigh....I just detangled my hair and realized that although most of the bald patches are growing in nicely, the patches in the nape area have gotten worst and bigger in size. The hair is not growing in there at all, presently it's maybe 1/4 of an inch since I shaved my entire head a year ago...le sigh

mistee11

Bumping for 2010... I now suffer with this disease. It's very disheartening but I have to learn how to cope with it. I thank God for the remaining hair on my head. I haven't gone to a derm doc yet but that is in the works. I am using Triamcinolone Acetate for the severe itching and burning. So far it's helping tremendously. After all these many months I've been suffering with the itching and now the loss of hair (possibly permanent) I now have a name to this condition. I researched it and talked when I visited my hairstylist before I could even tell her what it was she told me what it was that I'm suffering from. I remain positive and I know that God is able to do all things!

Adaoba2012

Thanks for this thread OP. The only reason why I stumbled into this forum was not only to help my hair grow longer..but to help my mother regrow her hair which she has been progressively losing for about 8 or 9 years now. She has several large bald spots on her head. Her edges are completely gone too. I can tell that it really hurts her...especially since she used to have thick APL hair growing up and when I was a child. She never practiced healthy hair care though. That along with the stress of work and raising 6 children really took a toll on her hair and scalp. I haven't read through the entire thread but I will and hopefully I can find some things that can turn around her alopecia. I tried MN, Bee mine and MT but when I'm away at school she never remains consistent. I think it's because she has really lost all hope. She just wigs it and keeps it moving..le sigh. I'm definitely going to try and remain positive because I know that if some of you ladies can overcome this condition she can too just like mistee11 said above all things are possible through God. Thanks again for this thread and I will keep you all posted.

cutiebe2

Cutiebe2, I know it's tough but hang in there. Shoot, I have pictures of my hair in its worst state that would put that picture of yours to shame, so you are not alone in this. Stay strong!

Rockette are you still around??? How are things going??

I got the topical cream and it said to only use it two weeks at a time. So I just finished my two weeks "on" last week and will do another round starting next week. My hair is def filling in. One spot is lagging behind the other but it doesn't feel as bald when I touch it as it did before

I will post pics in another three weeks :yep:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

How are things going? Anyone have any progress to note?

Just wanted to reach out and say thank you to Mistee and Adaoba2012 for sharing.

I'll share.
Last week I had a colleague tell me that my hair "is back."
She explained how she felt so sorry for me two years ago when my hair just fell out. She commented how beautiful my hair was and it just hurt her heart to see me going through. She says, as Black women, that she believes it's stress-related. Which, I really believe is dead-on. She even accurately marked the time when my hair did it's shift for the worse. Geez. I thought that was really kind of her and it was definitely encouraging. So, Imma keep doing what I've been doing.

You guys, don't give up the fight.

And, yes, we always win!!!

mistee11

Just wanted to reach out and say thank you to Mistee and Adaoba2012 for sharing.

I'll share.
She explained how she felt so sorry for me two years ago when my hair just fell out. She commented how beautiful my hair was and it just hurt her heart to see me going through. She says, as Black women, that she believes it's stress-related. Which, I really believe is dead-on. She even accurately marked the time when my hair did it's shift for the worse. Geez. I thought that was really kind of her and it was definitely encouraging. So, Imma keep doing what I've been doing.

ITA -- I went to see a doctor whom I use to see two years ago. I showed her nurse my head and she said that it was stress related alopecia. I tried to talk to the doctor about it but she was very rude. She seemed more concerned with me paying my deductible than trying to concern herself with the reason I was there to see her. Talk about adding more stress to my load!!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Shake it off, Mistee, your body can't take it.

I'm the type of person that internalizes things - ya know? I become even more introspective and think about what I could have done to make things better...i don't lash out - I don't vent very much, either. I think it creates an overload for our bodies. I pray about what i'm going through, but I realized that I must have been carrying a lot more baggage than I realized.

I have to learn to truly let go and let God. I'm thinking now, that if I had really done this, I wouldn't have felt the repurcussions in my health. Ya know? Just something I've been pondering over...

mistee11

Shake it off, Mistee, your body can't take it.

I'm the type of person that internalizes things - ya know? I become even more introspective and think about what I could have done to make things better...i don't lash out - I don't vent very much, either. I think it creates an overload for our bodies. I pray about what i'm going through, but I realized that I must have been carrying a lot more baggage than I realized.

I have to learn to truly let go and let God. I'm thinking now, that if I had really done this, I wouldn't have felt the repurcussions in my health. Ya know? Just something I've been pondering over...

This is so true. I must begin to let it go and let God!

Sade'

I'll share.

I WISH I had some progress to report. I am taking care of the rest of the hair that I do have. I'm applying my EO's to that spot. Good luck to the rest of u ladies! And congrats on your progress B. B*mbsh~ll. :yep::yep:

cutiebe2

I am now on second round of appyling the steroid cream. I also apply my castor oil/metatek mix

I def progress. I should be posting that in another two weeks. I need to use my EO mix but I will start when I finish my megatek..can't use everything at once

Precious_P

I have all the ingredients to make to growth oil so I will be doing that tonight

Here is my starting pic. I am still in shock that this has happened to me. Tomorrow I have to make another appointment with the derm for another shot. After that I think that will be the last shot. I want to try and do this naturally. At least I am seeing little fuzzy hair in the spot area

That is exactly how my hair loss looked. Back in 2000 I asked my boyfirend (now my husband) to look at something at the back of my head. His response was "you lost your hair.". I had no idea. I had been shedding and breaking horribly from a relaxer (I allowed my friend to talk me into using a TCB super without neutralizing). The only culprit I could think of at the time was severe stress. I went to several beauticians and none of them helped me or gave me any good advice. I let one put in a sewn in to help my hair "rest" but I found out when I left that she had glued tracks in to the crown area of my head! I started lurking and found LHCF. I begin using the ORS system and massaged the temple balm in my bald spot along with Vitamin E oil. I internalize stress to the point that I can get chest pain. I eventually grew my hair back and i am a committed DIY.

Many ladies here have been through more severe situations than I could ever imagine. I encourage all of you to continue in your search for healthiness.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Thank you for sharing, Precious P!
I applaud the fact that you overcame hairloss. ORS worked for you, huh? Could you tell us exactly which product you used?

Precious_P

Bronzebombshell,
I used the ORS Fertilizing Temple Balm along with Vitamin E oil for my daily massages. I also used the uplifting shampoo, the hair mayo and the carrot oil. I also tried the scalp scrub. I don't know if that made a difference or not but, I truly believe the massaging is what helped. Initially I started with just the temple balm but I noticed new hair once I added the vitamin E oil. I also learned to redirect my stress and not hold it in.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Thank you for sharing what worked.

We gotta let go of the stress, Sistas. We can't put our health in jeopardy. I feel hair loss is the first 'real' sign that we're in the danger zone...

darlingdiva

Bronzebombshell, thank you for starting this thread.

I messed my edges up (particularly on the right side) from braids. Sometimes, the braids were too tight around the edges, and other times, there was too much extension hair and too little of my real hair being used for certain sections.

The attached picture is my edges on the right side. I feel strange posting it b/c it seems like nothing in comparison to some of the stories and pictures in this thread. It is frustrating, though. I'm using Bee Mine Growth Serum for my edges. I've been using it since January & I haven't seen a change yet. From some of the testimonials that I've read, it takes about three months for it to begin working. I saw the thread that Tiffers started about Claudie's Products & I was so close to ordering some, even though I ordered some Boundless Tresses on Friday. I talked myself off the ledge, though. My edges didn't get messed up overnight, and they're not going to come back overnight, either.

I going to finish the 2 oz. bottle of Bee Mine before I use the Boundless Tresses. I'm going to get some rosemary and/or peppermint oil soon. If neither Bee Mine nor Boundless Tresses works, I'll give Claudie's Products a try.

Congratulations to all of the ladies who have met their goals, and good luck to all of those who are still working on it.

Attachments

• DSCN0407.jpg
    DSCN0407.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 61

meiks718

I am sooooo greatful to find this post. I tooo am suffering from something...not sure what it is yet. I have a spot by my right ear that looks almost exactly like cutebe2's spot. The first time I saw it, I cried. It is soooo discouraging. Right now I am applying an mixture of castor, peppermint, and rosemary to it every night hoping for a miracle. Its comforting to know that others are suffering/dealing with the same thing.

TLC1020

Survivor here :yep:

My shedded and thinned out bad to where my hair do not feel the same.. My hair had been shedding for a while but I took it as normal shedding. However when I shampoo my hair that is when the hair would be noticeably shed really bad. I knew there was something internally wrong b/c I wasn't anything different than what I used to when I had thick healthy hair... Every time I went to the doctor & have my blood level checked they would say I am not anemic. :nono: Last year I was like somebody better tell me something b/c my hair had thinned out too much and I was nearly bsl.:wallbash: I went to see a dermatologist and explained what was going on & told her can she check my ferritin level :ohwell:. She took a complete blood, thyroid, and lupus test.

Derm called me a few days later to explain the results. She said that in healthy women their ferritin blood level should be 40ml and mine was 18, half of what is needed :wallbash:. She said my iron was not being stored and thus my iron level decreased over time, in which in term why my hair was shedding out from the root with the white bulb on the tip. She suggest that I take 365mg of iron and 65mg of elemental iron and take it for 3 months and see her for a follow up b/c it take some time for iron to get back to normal.

Just about the same time I became pregnant and was told to stop the iron and began taking prenatal supplements . I was like dang...:cry: While pregnant my darling daughter began taking my blood and iron, thus decreasing my iron level to 11 :cry3:.. Once I had her in December I begin doing research on low ferritin levels and hair loss. I found that liquid iron absorb better than tablets, soooooo I went to the vitamin shoppe to purchase a bottle... Hopefully my hair get back in shape.. I just came off a 5 month stretch while pregnant b/c I did not feel like relaxing my hair let alone doing anything else to it.. My hair still is thin and the density is thin as well but my newgrowth/newly grown hair feel healthier...

Not sure what I am gonna do at this point.. I already cut 3-4" off, no longer bsl or apl. I am thinking about cutting my hair to sl to start over.. I wear my hair in buns like 98% of the time to give my hair rest and to keep it simple.. I am still debating...

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Thanks Meiks and TLC, I pray you guys find recovery soon. Your posts were really touching. Please keep in touch and let us know of your progress.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Has anyone used Alter Ego Cren drops? I picked up some and have used it a few times. It sure has a stroooong tingle. It's designed to stop hair loss and shedding.

SelfStyled

Br*nze you are sooo good about keeping this thread alive. Sorry it took me all day to finally puts my progress pictures of my hairline.

As you all know- a hairline can be so challenging to regrow, I think the follicles there are the most delicate, for me anyways.

My hairline greatly suffered after the birth of my 3rd child, when the postpartum shedding was said and done, my hairline still looked something terrible.

I have been feeling so discouraged this week about my hair journey, but when I started looking at old pictures today I realized how much my hairline has changed for the better.

I am even starting to grow a widows peak, lol.

I didn't do anything special, just followed my regimen, of washing and DC'ing, I always cover my hairline with extra conditioner, moisturizer, and sealant oil. I make sure I stick with a silk scarf for night time.

Coincidentally, I whipped up a concoction just for my edges about 2 weeks ago with ingredients that I have laying around the house. A dollop of Trader Joe's nourish spa with castor, emu, argan oil and drops of peppermint and rosemary essentials oil. I am seeing new hairs sprout up from this mix in only 2 weeks. I will keep up with this mixture at least once a day, and report back in a few months.

quasimodi

Has anyone used Alter Ego Cren drops? I picked up some and have used it a few times. It sure has a stroooong tingle. It's designed to stop hair loss and shedding.

I purchased some from Bluebeez, but I'm at a loss as to how to use it. I don't think that dropper is going to work so well for application purposes. How do you apply yours?

Msmia

My story:

All my life I have had thick coarse hair. My mother was not a good hair dresser and would make my ponytails extremely tight, so needless to say over the years I finally developed traction alopecia on both sides of my head right above my ears. :cry:

I learned how to style my hair to cover these areas and went on my way. At the ripe young age of 30, I had my first child and the postpartum shedding was horrific. My hair never recovered from it and the shedding never ended, it decreased but never ended. I lost much of my thickness. Soon after giving birth to my first child I found I was pregnant again and the postpartum shedding from this childbirth sent my hair over the edge.

I am still able to obtain length, but the shedding is awful! I have lost my thickness completely and my hairline has really taken a beaten. There are some areas that are completely bare :cry:.

And now I am at a crossroads about "treatments" because some things are stated to not be used on pregnant women and it is quite possible and I am pregnant again. Sigh. I go to the doctor this week to verify.

I decided to change my shampoo and conditioner to something much more gentle and get some essential oils to nourish my scalp and just keep a simple hairstyle utilizing wigs. I am also working to keep my iron levels up and eating enough protein.

I have heard that the anesthia (sp??) sometimes given to women during child birth can cause extreme hairloss and maybe that it is culprit. Don't know. I am debating on going natural, but the fact I have alopecia on both of my temples always deters me from doing that.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I use the dropper and i kinda just dab it all around my scalp and let it roll it's way around...oooh the tingle is soooooo good. ♥ it! We'll see how it works on the scalp - praying it's all it's claimed to be. Reminds me of Nioxin drops.

I purchased some from Bluebeez, but I'm at a loss as to how to use it. I don't think that dropper is going to work so well for application purposes. How do you apply yours?

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Welcome MsMia, {{{BIG HUG}}} to you. If you are in the 'Motherly Way,' here's an early congratulations.

My shedding/alopecia started after the birth of my children, as well - particularly my son. It was a nightmare, so I totally understand what you're going through. Have you tried Garlic oil/poo/conditioners? Also, coffee should be your best friend, if you can tolerate it. Pour it on your scalp, though, don't drink it. :yep: I'd start with garlic and coffee asap, if I were you. I wish i'd have known of these years ago...I would have saved myself pounds of hair. I also went natural and I know this has helped retain alot of hair. I'd hate to see my current hair had i continued to relax. :nono:

HTH!

Keep us updated on your progress. Your hair can return.

I wonder about our hormone levels being a culprit. I had endometriosis when I was younger and had an ovary removed. I am now on the iud, no longer on bc pills. I wonder if this triggered hair loss, you know, being free of extra hormones? I iud'ed after my son - which is when the real hair fiasco began...thinking out loud, here... if this could be the case, maybe taking supplements like fenugreek - (which i use in oil form and as a powder-mixed rinse could help long term) could help because it balances female hormones.

brainstorming, here...

any thoughts?

My story:

All my life I have had thick coarse hair. My mother was not a good hair dresser and would make my ponytails extremely tight, so needless to say over the years I finally developed traction alopecia on both sides of my head right above my ears. :cry:

I learned how to style my hair to cover these areas and went on my way. At the ripe young age of 30, I had my first child and the postpartum shedding was horrific. My hair never recovered from it and the shedding never ended, it decreased but never ended. I lost much of my thickness. Soon after giving birth to my first child I found I was pregnant again and the postpartum shedding from this childbirth sent my hair over the edge.

I am still able to obtain length, but the shedding is awful! I have lost my thickness completely and my hairline has really taken a beaten. There are some areas that are completely bare :cry:.

And now I am at a crossroads about "treatments" because some things are stated to not be used on pregnant women and it is quite possible and I am pregnant again. Sigh. I go to the doctor this week to verify.

I decided to change my shampoo and conditioner to something much more gentle and get some essential oils to nourish my scalp and just keep a simple hairstyle utilizing wigs. I am also working to keep my iron levels up and eating enough protein.

I have heard that the anesthia (sp??) sometimes given to women during child birth can cause extreme hairloss and maybe that it is culprit. Don't know. I am debating on going natural, but the fact I have alopecia on both of my temples always deters me from doing that.

mistee11

My former doctor told me about 8 years ago that I'd better get a hold of my stress because it could kill me. He wasn't lying. I am a true witness about what stress can do to the body. I too internal stress so much that I've lost a vast majority of my hair... all of my nape and crown areas and temples are balding ( the nape is almost completely bald) I was wearing wigs and weaves for a year and could not see the damage that was happening to my head. My blood pressure is high and I have anxiety disorder. I don't want to become dependent on anti-depressants or anxiety meds. I'm on enough meds now with my asthma. I went off my blood pressure medication in December of '09 thinking that it was the cause of my hair loss. What I didn't know is that for some people whenever you stop, start or change bp meds you can lose hair. I shouldn't have stopped taking the medicine. I was using Profective's Growth Renew Root Recovery prods. They didn't seem to be helping as much as I thought they would. I'm thinking about switching to the entire ORS system to get my hair back. I do take vitamins and excercise but I also started taking MagniLife Fibromyalgia Relief for the chronic stiffness and aches I suffer with. Great Product!!!