How to rollerset faster?

ichephren

My rollersets are taking way too long to complete and I want to start doing sets more frequently. Help me rollersetting divas!!! What are your tricks to rolling faster?

I think when you start rollersetting more frequently you will pick up speed. Practice makes perfect...

I roll pretty fast. The two things that help me the most are

a- use the rollers with the snap covers, especially in the hard to roll sections that take me more time to really secure the clips

b. Part your hair before you start. I part mine in the shower, using the running water to help me detangle each section. I use big plastic duckbill clips to secure each section. When I start rolling, I use a squirt of leave in on each section and roll it before going to the other.

My rollersets are taking way too long to complete and I want to start doing sets more frequently. Help me rollersetting divas!!! What are your tricks to rolling faster?

I can set pretty fast, but if I'm in a rush I'll use the ponytail method. Ever try that?

Gather hair into a ponytail high or middle and set with rollers. I get a different look if I use one roller or multiples. I usually leave some hair around my face out and roll that separately. Also, don't make the ponytail too tight or else you'll have a dent when you remove it.

I use this for my midweek sets, not right after a wash.

I can set pretty fast, but if I'm in a rush I'll use the ponytail method. Ever try that?

Gather hair into a ponytail high or middle and set with rollers. I get a different look if I use one roller or multiples. I usually leave some hair around my face out and roll that separately. Also, don't make the ponytail too tight or else you'll have a dent when you remove it.

I use this for my midweek sets, not right after a wash.

I was just about to say this. I rollerset normally, but when I'm lazy a ponytail rollerset is just as good.

I still don't understand why rolling up is easier than rolling down though. Maybe I've developed alot of muscle in my arm or something, because it all feels the same to me. :confused:

Sylver2 also has an alternative way to rollerset using a scarf for the front and just rollersetting the length partially. It works very well and is a lot faster. :yep: She does this for those stretching and want to keep the newgrowth flat.

I have been rollersetting for 3 years so I have been rollersetting fast to. Since it is important to have the hair soaking while setting I used to keep a spray bottle of water when I was learning to keep my hair moist.

Anyway it all comes with practice and over time you will instictivly know how to part your hair and put the right amount of hair on the roller.

Last edited:
As the other post said, practice makes perfect. I can now rollerset my hair in 25 min which is a far cry from what it once was. I'm aiming for 15 min.

Also, remember to keep your product use light (meaning one or two leave-ins, not 5! lol) on the sopping wet hair. That helps me not need to detangle each section after detangling :wallbash:. Oh, and serum cuts down setting time as well.

The last time I was at the Dominican salon, she rolled my hair like in 5-10 minutes and shocked the daylights out of me. She used the huge grey rollers. I thought to myself... no way in hell I'm going to get a nice set this way, because I felt too much hair was on each roller. I was wrong. My hair came out just as great as a smaller purple roller would get it, just with less curl.

If you don't mind having less curl, I would use the huge grey rollers.

Nice tips, ladies. My fastest is 20 minutes right after a relaxer and a few weeks after. As the new growth gets thick, it takes me longer.

Yeah, what's the deal on the rolling up? So, does your end hair style result in an upwards flip? Or is there a way to turn the upward look into a style with the ends bent under still once the rollers are out? I roll up on some of my hair in the front, but I've never done the whole head upwards. I tried it once in the back, and I couldn't get it to bend under with the rest of my hair afterwards. :nono:

Yeah, what's the deal on the rolling up? So, does your end hair style result in an upwards flip? Or is there a way to turn the upward look into a style with the ends bent under still once the rollers are out? I roll up on some of my hair in the front, but I've never done the whole head upwards. I tried it once in the back, and I couldn't get it to bend under with the rest of my hair afterwards. :nono:

your hair will flip unless you use a handheld dryer, or something else to change the curl the other way.

so in my siggie below, i rolled up and then blew the roots out only .I didnt want to put any heat on my ends. you can see it's flipped up but it's not condoleeza rice flipped.

But, if you look in my fotki, you can see straight hair. I rolled up and then blew out the whole length of hair. you can bump under with a brush and the dryer. but that's an extra step not worth it for me for every week.

plus i fool myself into believing this is protecting the ends because they don't touch my shirt.

Practice, practice, practice. It takes me 45 minutes now. When I began my hair was much shorter and it took a lot longer. Good luck.

your hair will flip unless you use a handheld dryer, or something else to change the curl the other way.

Oh okay. See, when I rollerset, I try not to use any other heat afterwards except maybe the flat iron to straighten NG roots (but only in later post-relaxer weeks). I wonder if wrapping would help the bend...?

I love your cute flip in your siggie! When my hair is longer, I'm going to try it. How do you maintain that at night? Do you use rollers nightly? Thanks for the tips!

Oh okay. See, when I rollerset, I try not to use any other heat afterwards except maybe the flat iron to straighten NG roots (but only in later post-relaxer weeks). I wonder if wrapping would help the bend...?

I love your cute flip in your siggie! When my hair is longer, I'm going to try it. How do you maintain that at night? Do you use rollers nightly? Thanks for the tips!

Be warned... do not roll up unless your hair is almost shoulder length or longer. I rolled up my ear length hair once, my mom laughed at me until I washed and reset my hair (think Woody Woodpecker with dark brown hair):wallbash:!

Using larger rollers helps me to roll my hair faster. I use a combination of gray (2 inch) and black (2 1/2 inch.) Yesterday I did a set in 25 min. :grin:

I roll up on the majority of my head, but the first 4 or so rollers I roll down. I find that with my current length of hair, when I blow the roots out the flip switches under on its own...It's no biggie, as I wrap it right afterwards. After that, it lays down like it's s'posed to.

Best tip anyone has ever given me. Saves me time and less stress on the arms!
:woot::woot::woot:

well i can only speak for my hair, but since I wrap at night, the next day my hair is usually straight (takes the bend out!) unless I pin curl it.

thanks! no i dont use rollers, if i want to maintain the flip or any curl i'll pin curl. or if i'm tired i'll cross wrap and just pin curl the ends of the two pieces under my scarf. does that make sense? you make two ponytails pocahontas style, but without bands. then you cross them and pin one over one ear and the other over the other ear, as if you're wrapping them in two different directions. then secure with a scarf. you can take the ends and make a little loop and that will give you a bump on the ends in the morning. geez i hope that's clear.

Last edited:
Back