How often do you use a fine tooth comb? Rollerset?

How often do you use a fine tooth comb? Rollerset?

• Total voters

SherylsTresses

I'm trying desperately to thicken my hair. :rolleyes: To do so, I feel I must avoid my rat tail comb and not rollerset as often as I do. I know a lot of you have thick hair and I was wondering how often do you all use a fine tooth comb and how often do you rollerset?

Last edited:
I rollerset and use a fine tooth comb twice a week. I always comb through my hair with a detangling comb and then use a fine tooth. I have to use a fine tooth comb to rollerset. Rollersetting is very healthy for my hair.

I rollerset and use a fine tooth comb twice a week. I always comb through my hair with a detangling comb and then use a fine tooth. I have to use a fine tooth comb to rollerset. Rollersetting is very healthy for my hair.

Thanks for your response janeemat. :yep: I also use a wide-tooth seamless comb and then follow-up with a fine-tooth. It just seems that I lose a lot of hair whenever I use a fine-tooth comb regardless. :ohwell:

Thanks for your response janeemat. :yep: I also use a wide-tooth seamless comb and then follow-up with a fine-tooth. It just seems that I lose a lot of hair whenever I use a fine-tooth comb regardless. :ohwell:

Yup...that's my story too. Thats' why I haven't use a fine-toothed comb in over 2years. I cringe and shudder just thinking about it...:perplexed

I use a fine seamless toothed comb weekly when I rollerset. I use a seamless Big tooth comb before to detangle first.

I rollerset once or twice a week and I use a fine tooth comb each time. If I lose 2 hairs, that's a lot. It's unusual for me to lose hair doing a set now that I know how to be gentle.

I lose hair when I detangle in the shower and that's it, unless there is a problem with my protein/moisture balance.

I use the fine tooth comb just to see how well my hair is doing and if I notice broken hair, I know something is wrong and I work quickly to correct it.

I rollerset once or twice a week and I use a fine tooth comb each time. If I lose 2 hairs, that's a lot. It's unusual for me to lose hair doing a set now that I know how to be gentle.

I lose hair when I detangle in the shower and that's it, unless there is a problem with my protein/moisture balance.

I use the fine tooth comb just to see how well my hair is doing and if I notice broken hair, I know something is wrong and I work quickly to correct it.

Wow, my hair must really be in bad shape. :perplexed

I usually rollerset every week and I use the fine tooth comb with each rollerset. Now that I've got all this NG from stretching, I haven't been doing it as often because my roots are always so poofy at the end.

When I comb my hair for each roller, I start with a wider comb first and then use my fine tooth comb. That usually helps to make sure that I don't lose any hair during the process.

I haven't texlaxed in 5 or 6 months, and I'm now leaning toward transitioning altogether. My natural hair is MUCH NICER than the texlaxed hair!
So...a fine tooth comb wouldn't be a good idea right now. :ohwell:
And rollersets? I don't have a clue. I'll need to watch some tutorials.

I usually rollerset every week and I use the fine tooth comb with each rollerset. Now that I've got all this NG from stretching, I haven't been doing it as often because my roots are always so poofy at the end.

When I comb my hair for each roller, I start with a wider comb first and then use my fine tooth comb. That usually helps to make sure that I don't lose any hair during the process.
I don't use a wide tooth comb for each section but i make sure to detangle my entire head with one first before i begin. I usually don't lose much hair either. In the winter, i rollerset weekly. I also use a fine tooth comb daily only to smooth down my edges.

I rollerset 1-2 times per week and I use a fine-tooth (rattail) comb every time. My hair is relaxed, VERY thick. I don't see any broken hairs in the comb, or on the counter, or my shirt, etc. (If I do, it may be a total of 2 or 3). I deep condition with heat, and I detangle very carefully with a wide-tooth comb and CSI, and I think that helps. I used to have one area on my hair that broke consistently, even that part has grown out nicely.

Maybe you can cut down how frequently you rollerset to limit manipulation...

Back in the day, before I started focusing on healthy hair care, I had broken hairs ALL OVER THE PLACE, every time I combed my hair. It wasn't the combs, it was the health of my hair....I don't use a fine tooth comb if I'm not roller-setting, though. I just use a paddle brush and my fingers.

Try using a smaller (but not fine-toothed) seamless comb. I use a small Kent or Mason Pearson comb and I lose a lot less hair than I would had I used a regular fine-toothed comb.

I rollerset 1-2 times per week and I use a fine-tooth (rattail) comb every time. My hair is relaxed, VERY thick. I don't see any broken hairs in the comb, or on the counter, or my shirt, etc. (If I do, it may be a total of 2 or 3). I deep condition with heat, and I detangle very carefully with a wide-tooth comb and CSI, and I think that helps. I used to have one area on my hair that broke consistently, even that part has grown out nicely.

Maybe you can cut down how frequently you rollerset to limit manipulation...

Back in the day, before I started focusing on healthy hair care, I had broken hairs ALL OVER THE PLACE, every time I combed my hair. It wasn't the combs, it was the health of my hair....I don't use a fine tooth comb if I'm not roller-setting, though. I just use a paddle brush and my fingers.

Solitude, can you PM me your hair regi and products. Someday my hair will be as healthy as yours. Someday. :rolleyes:

UUhh, I have NEVER used a fine-tooth in my life to COMB my hair. :perplexed :nono: I've never owned a fine tooth comb outside my rat tail comb that I use for sectioning my hair. I've only used wide-tooth combs. I'm actually sitting here confused right now because I would think you would pull your hair out with one of those things.:sad: Anywho, I didn't vote because I don't do either but, it's not because I think it's high manipulation. I already stated why I don't use a fine-tooth comb and I don't rollerset because I can't sit for that long under a dryer waiting for my hair to dry.

UUhh, I have NEVER used a fine-tooth in my life to COMB my hair. :perplexed :nono: I've never owned a fine tooth comb outside my rat tail comb that I use for sectioning my hair. I've only used wide-tooth combs. I'm actually sitting here confused right now because I would think you would pull your hair out with one of those things.:sad: Anywho, I didn't vote because I don't do either but, it's not because I think it's high manipulation. I already stated why I don't use a fine-tooth comb and I don't rollerset because I can't sit for that long under a dryer waiting for my hair to dry.

Fyb87, I just PM'd you.

I'm texlaxed 4a/b and I generally use a wide tooth comb to detangle and then I use a medium sized comb to rollerset. Whenever I use a small rat tail comb I lose lots of hair. My hair is pretty fragile when wet, so I try to be gentle with it and treat it like silk.

Not combing my hair between washes has helped it maintain it's natural thick texture. I finger comb and put in a bun after my style wears out. Then I detangle before washing and after. :yep:

I'm 4b texlaxed and rollerset weekly, using a wide-toothed comb only. Well, I know I'm not getting all of the shed hairs out doing it this way, so every 3 months, after a texlax touchup, I use a wide-toothed comb, followed by a fine-toothed comb when rollersetting in order to "clean up" all the shed hair to prevent matting.

I don't mess with fine tooth combs, I only use my rattail comb for the tail end to part my hair.
for rollersets I use wider spaced combs such as the cricket comb it detangles well.
http://www.marlobeauty.com/cricket-combs-silkomb-pro-25.html

or the proglide comb
http://www.frommonline.com/itmDefault.aspx?id=6029

they are both similar in style. even for rollersets I use combs with this kind of spacing and my rollersets still come out smooth. these are a bit more hair friendly.

for my rollersets I use one of the styling combs attached, but first detangle with my jilbere showere comb, then detangle again with my bone comb and then use my styling comb for smoothing works like a charm less shedding and I don't have any protein or moisture imbalances, my hair just doesn't like fine toothed combs, I don't think they are good to use anyway they are hair snatchers. You don't have to use a extra fine tooth combs for rollersets.

I hate fine toothed combs. When I used to rollerset, I did use them on the ends only, but then I found that a wider toothed comb worked just as well. During the week I use my shower comb for everything: wrapping, combing, the whole deal.

I use a fine toothed comb for my rollersets. My hair is prone to tangling because I am working with three textures now, so I need to make sure I get rid of all the shed hair weekly.

Glad I read this thread...I was just going out to get another fine tooth comb.

But to answer the questions, I was using one weekly when I rollerset. Sometimes I'd use it to smooth my bangs out if they weren't acting right. I didn't lose any hair with that, but with rollersetting, I did lose a little bit of hair.

I'm 4b texlaxed and rollerset weekly, using a wide-toothed comb only. Well, I know I'm not getting all of the shed hairs out doing it this way, so every 3 months, after a texlax touchup, I use a wide-toothed comb, followed by a fine-toothed comb when rollersetting in order to "clean up" all the shed hair to prevent matting.

Thanks again Prospurr4! That sounds very logical! :yep:

Back