Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Both are needed

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • Neither! I fingercomb ONLY or don't comb at all

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

preciouslove0x

So I decided to experiment with my hair instead of just agreeing with the "wide tooth comb is the only way" philosophy. For the last two/three weeks instead of using a seemless wide tooth comb I decided to use a seemless fine tooth comb. This is because lately I've realized that when I use a wide tooth comb it doesnt seem to get all of the "kinks" "knots" what-have-you out of my hair. My hair is extremely fine so I decided to go ahead and try a fine tooth comb for a few weeks. Mind you I only comb on wash days which is once a week. I fingercomb when needed.

Results:
The breakage and shedding has significantly decreased. I couldn't believe it. :spinning:

So I was just wondering what the rest of the LHCF ladies think about the whole fine tooth vs. wide tooth comb belief... Are wide tooth combs really best??

i use both wide tooth to detangle ...and then finish of with a smaller tooth comb to remove more shed hair etc

i use all three: fingers, widetooth, & finetooth. it really depends on what my hair needs at the moment.

I'm relaxed so I use both... wide tooth to detanlge, fingers to diffuse knots and finetooth for roller sets.

Last edited:
I can't start off with a fine comb if I do decide to use it I first finger detangle then work my way through gradually smaller toothed combs.

Good question, OP! I use all three: Fingers when my hair is dry, wide-toothed to detangle damp hair and fine-toothed to rollerset.

This is one of those different strokes for different folks things. I use fine tooth for finishing touches. I just use the wide tooth to comb. I make sure I "scratch" my scalp with the wide tooth comb (it's blunt).

i always get breakage with a fine toothed comb. i have fine hair as well. the wide toothed comb is the only option for me until i'm totally natural.

I use everything! :lol: Wide tooth comb, medium tooth comb, Denman, fine tooth comb.

^^ me too! I'm a relaxed 4 and my hair is v thick. I use a wide tooth comb to detangle my hair when its wet, and I also use it every morning to comb down and style my wrap.

I keep a medium sized seamless comb in my makeup bag for afternoon touchups.

At night I use my denman paddle brush and my denman boar-bristle brush 2 wrap it all back up.

On wash day, I use my fine tooth to part/section my hair for flatironing, also using it to detangle in small sections :yep:

it my natural state I use a shower comb when wet, I don't comb it otherwise. When its flat ironed I use a medium sided comb or a wide tooth comb. Fine tooth combs scare me.

i use both combs. fine tooth comb to detangle roots and for roller setting wide tooth when i dont feel like touching the new growth

i use both wide tooth to detangle ...and then finish of with a smaller tooth comb to remove more shed hair etc

This is what I do as well. I think it REALLY helps me get all of my shed hairs out, etc.!

Otherwise, it can be hard to get them all out, especially when many weeks post.

This is what I do as well. I think it REALLY helps me get all of my shed hairs out, etc.!

Otherwise, it can be hard to get them all out, especially when many weeks post.

Stupid question. . . but is there a reason you need to get shed hairs out? I have been using a very wide toothed comb recently and I feel like I have more knots. Is that the reason?

I take small sections. finger detangle first, then wide tooth comb, and finish with a smaller fine tooth comb. Although the fine tooth comb I use is not incredibly tiny.

But I find this is the only way i can get all tangles out to "stretch" my natural hair. I just started doing this now that my hair has gotten a lil length.

I do not notice breakage so this works fine for me.

Stupid question. . . but is there a reason you need to get shed hairs out? I have been using a very wide toothed comb recently and I feel like I have more knots. Is that the reason?

Not a stupid question at all. Shed hair that is not removed contribute to tangles and matting by entangling with the strands that are still intact.

Not a stupid question at all. Shed hair that is not removed contribute to tangles and matting by entangling with the strands that are still intact.

i think this is exactly why i was getting more knots. the wide tooth comb wasnt getting all of my shed hair out. im glad i realized this before it was too late :yep:

bump so that the lhcf ladies realize that the culprit for tangles/knots COULD possibly be from not getting all shed hair out of their hair after detangling with a wide tooth comb !! thanks ladies!!

Would the denman brush be considered the same as a fine tooth comb? I use my shower comb, then finish with my denman brush to get the shed hairs...is this enough or should I use a fine tooth comb as well?

I used to use a rat tail to part my hair but that's not necessary IMO. Wide tooth FTW! If only I could find a seamless comb out here I'd be set.

I use both because it seems that the wide tooth comb does not catch all my shed hairs and I have fine texlaxed strands so sometimes I follow up with a fine tooth comb.

I use wide, medium and fine-toothed combs. Wide tooted for in shower detangling, medium for an actual detangling session (I steam for 20 minutes, detangle, add more conditioner and steam for another 10), and fine toothed to comb trough hair when twisting. I will get terrible knotting and tangling if I don't use the fine-toothed comb.

Back