How Often Do You Trim?

How Often Do You Trim?

• More often than once a month

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Once a month

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Less often than once a month but more than once every 6 months (please specify)

Votes: 46 30.7%
  • Once every 6 months

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • Less often than once every 6 months but more than once every year (please specify)

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 28 18.7%
  • Never

Votes: 16 10.7%

• Total voters

Candycane044

Hello ladies,

I have decided to stop trimming my hair since March and it seems like my hair has been doing okay without it. I just wanted to get a sense of how many ladies do/don't trim, and if so how frequently?

Also, since I obviously don't have ALL the options in the world, if you click other or you don't see your frequency on there will you specify for me please? TIA!

I forgot to add once a year on the poll!! Sorry!!!

Last edited:

tinkat

I don't trim as much either. I only trim when it obvious that my hair needs it. I say it varies between 3-6 months, or sometimes even longer if I am being lazy.

Rezgirl

I trim only when I do a relaxer which is probably between every 3-5 months. I love the way my ends look from a fresh trim and with protective styling they stay fresh longer. I hate the bun but I love what is burrowed underneath. I may not even trim with every relaxer if I can keep them looking fresh with the protective styles. People are shook when it comes to having their hair trimmed but my stylist always said the ones who come into the shop and never want it trimmed need it the most. I'd beg her to trim me and she'd say I didn't need it. I guess it depends on the state of your hair. I hate raggedy looking ends. I think most of us take such good care of our hair we may not need it as frequently as many others but I still think every few months a trim is good to keep it looking good.

HoneyDew

As needed. I have no specific time. I try not to do it more often than every 2-3 months, though.

PuffyBrown

I was trimming every 8 to 12 weeks. With my last relaxer in September I did not get a trim. I have searched my head high and low and there is nothing going on in their and if there is a split end it is far and few between because I literally searched my hair to find them. My last trim was July and my next retouch will be in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I plan on trimming with this one so that will put me in the 4 to 6 month range. My hair gained significant growth during these last 3.5 months and this will be my normal routine from now on. I am thinking that this may equal out to 3 trims a year.

franknbeans82

my stylist used to trim only on the occasion that my hair really needed it. she's never been the scissor happy type, and she always respected me in how much or how little i wanted her to trim. however, this yr, i let her know my mission to grow my hair out really long, and the strangest thing has happened. she told me we would trim it less often, yet then she turned around and decided to start trimming it every other relaxer (or every 12 weeks), which was actually more frequent. recently, she even began trimming it every single relaxer!!! last time i was in there she even suggested that maybe we should cut a few inches off...wtf?? i reminded her that just last yr we cut 1.5in off, and she says that we didn't get off all the bad ends w/ that. when she gave me that cut, she told me back then that we got rid of all the bad stuff. not to mention, i used to ask her every relaxer if i needed a trim, and she would usually say no or to wait. why did she keep telling me my hair was in good shape and didn't need a trim, only to come back later and tell me that it was getting really bad on the ends and needed inches hacked off, lol? anyway, it almost makes me feel like she's trying to prevent me from reaching my length goal, now that she knows what i'm aiming for. :(

Last edited:

SEMO

I don't trim anymore. I copied this from my post in a thread on the same topic:

I went to Great Clips for a trim about a year and a half ago. The trim turned into a cut, but I wasn't that mad b/c I wanted to get rid of some bad ends. But I haven't felt the need to trim since then. I keep my ends in good shape and since I wear my hair mostly curly I don't concern myself with it too much.

Last edited:
I dust every every 6-8 weeks. If I some damage, I will trim every two weeks.

Junonia, you have beautiful hair. You should get one of those t-shirts with the ruler on the back and take another measurement. October looks longer to me, but the cameras position makes a difference also. I usually trim after every relaxer and that is 6-8 weeks. This time I might stretch. Not sure yet.

Last edited:

betty-boo

I don't trim anymore. I copied this from my post in a thread on the same topic:

I went to Great Clips for a trim about a year and a half ago. The trim turned into a cut, but I wasn't that mad b/c I wanted to get rid of some bad ends. But I haven't felt the need to trim since then. I keep my ends in good shape and since I wear my hair mostly curly I don't concern myself with it too much.

ETA:
The first pic in my siggy is from right after the trim/cut and the second is a recent photo. My hair hadn't been trimmed at all in between those photos.

Semo your hair is beautiful!!!!! I want to stop trimming too. You prove to me, like Flowerhair and Cichelle and others, that trimming is no-no if you aren't using heat. I don't use heat, so it should be okay.
I was trimming perfectly good hair.

SEMO

Semo your hair is beautiful!!!!! I want to stop trimming too. You prove to me, like Flowerhair and Cichelle and others, that trimming is no-no if you aren't using heat. I don't use heat, so it should be okay.
I was trimming perfectly good hair.
I really don't feel the need to trim and my hair doesn't seem uneven (though it's hard to tell when it's curly). I got it trimmed/cut that time b/c I had some ends that had been processed weirdly from my last relaxer and didn't get cut off when I BC'ed. I didn't need as much cut off as the lady ended up doing but I wasn't really mad. It grew back.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I usually go every 6 months when I relax, but I wanna up it to every 4 months and maybe I will dust myself in between on the 8th week.

bermudabeauty

I am such a scissor happy individual. The hardest thing for me to do is keep the scissors out of my hair. Seriously. I haven't had a trim since joining LHCF in June but I have "dusted" my ends a bit every time I feel I need to which is around 6wks. But if I could I would have a fresh trim with every relaxer, but I don't.

NYAmicas

Seeker
my stylist used to trim only on the occasion that my hair really needed it. she's never been the scissor happy type, and she always respected me in how much or how little i wanted her to trim. however, this yr, i let her know my mission to grow my hair out really long, and the strangest thing has happened. she told me we would trim it less often, yet then she turned around and decided to start trimming it every other relaxer (or every 12 weeks), which was actually more frequent. recently, she even began trimming it every single relaxer!!! last time i was in there she even suggested that maybe we should cut a few inches off...wtf?? i reminded her that just last yr we cut 1.5in off, and she says that we didn't get off all the bad ends w/ that. when she gave me that cut, she told me back then that we got rid of all the bad stuff. not to mention, i used to ask her every relaxer if i needed a trim, and she would usually say no or to wait. why did she keep telling me my hair was in good shape and didn't need a trim, only to come back later and tell me that it was getting really bad on the ends and needed inches hacked off, lol? anyway, it almost makes me feel like she's trying to prevent me from reaching my length goal, now that she knows what i'm aiming for. :(

From your description it sure sounds like it.:perplexed

cdixon

I just received a much needed trim after about 7 months. The stylist didn't chop too much hair off. IMHO, I think as long as you protect your ends, and make sure they're not splitting or looking raggedy you should be fine.

amara11

Sounds like that age old myth about stylists keeping their clients hair at a certain *length*.

I used to go to a stylist a few years ago who was great- everyone's hair was flowy, bouncy, shiny- really nice. but everyone's hair was also shoulder length :rolleyes:

Or if your hair was longer, she wouldn't cut it to shoulder, but you best believe under her care, your hair wouldn't grow out any longer than it was when you first started seeing her.

Once I got serious about growing my hair out, i nixed that relationship.

I now get trims as needed. And I am about to start doing them MYself. I can't trust stylists to do it. Period. :nono:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=5955331&highlight=#post5955331

ImFree27

I trimmed a few times this year.But I won't be trimming anymore until I reach waist length and then I may even up the ends if they need even..

foxieroxienyc

I didn't think I would trim anymore this year since my hack in May... Stylist's doing... But I just gave myself a little mini-trim to even off my ends because for me having hair that is healthy, vibrant and thick has become as important as length. For me there's no use in hanging onto one or two strands to claim length, I just prefer a more polished look. My ends overall are pretty healthy in any case so it's just maintenance so I don't have to cut too much. I'm going to stick to trimming once every 4-5 months.

betty-boo

I really don't feel the need to trim and my hair doesn't seem uneven (though it's hard to tell when it's curly). I got it trimmed/cut that time b/c I had some ends that had been processed weirdly from my last relaxer and didn't get cut off when I BC'ed. I didn't need as much cut off as the lady ended up doing but I wasn't really mad. It grew back.

It sure did grow back!!! Its beautiful.