How long does it take...

How long to apply a self-relaxer up to neutralizing?

• 5-10 mins

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 10-15 mins

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 15-20 mins

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • 20-25 mins

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 25+ mins

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

God's Anointed

for you guys to apply your self-relaxers? So, i'm finally doing my hair after a much needed relaxer and i was wondering, how long it takes for you guys to apply your relaxers, only up to the point where you neutralize. I know my scalp is sensitive so you best believe i will be basing the night before and the morning of, but when i practiced applying a relaxer with my henna treament, it took like 17 mins. Is that too long? Do i need to speed up or wait until i get more practice?

Last edited:
I am a newself relaxer as well. It tokk me 23 minutes to apply and I didnt rinse till about 30, i still was majorly underprocessed!! So... Im not sure if its based on your hair, the relaxer or both...I used vitale life and body for the first go round.

Between 20-25 mins. i use a mild lye dominican relaxer but i add caster oil to it to slow down the processing time. Hence very little burn if any. It takes me so long becuase I am nursing my edges and nape back to health so thats done last. I apply with a relaxer brush and smooth in with fingers and the back of a comb. After rinsing I apply a nice silk type conditioner for 5 mins, then rinse again and on to neutralizer. You will get a better result the next time becuase you wont be worried about it. I learned from ladies on the board about putting vaseline on my already permed hair to protect it. Works like a charm:D HTH!

It takes me a good half hour from the first application of relaxer up until wash out time. I'm slow because I like to be thorough.

God's Anointed said:
for you guys to apply your self-relaxers? So, i'm finally doing my hair after a much needed relaxer and i was wondering, how long it takes for you guys to apply your relaxers, only up to the point where you neutralize. I know my scalp is sensitive so you best believe i will be basing the night before and the morning of, but when i practiced applying a relaxer with my henna treament, it took like 17 mins. Is that too long? Do i need to speed up or wait until i get more practice?

That's sounds like a long time just to apply the relaxer. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems like you should be smoothing at 17 minutes if you relax for that long. But then again, I don't have resistant hair, so I get antsy at 15 min. Either way, you are going to have to watch your hair in the mirror to see when it "breaks down." After it breaks down, I would think you have about 5 min or so before you start overprocessing.

15-20 minutes for me, I was thinking about decreasing the percentage of my texlax but I am going to stretch for my full 6 months and see what I think then. Right now I am 12 weeks post and loving my hair. The texture is really nice when I treat it right.

Back