How long does it take...

How long to apply a self-relaxer up to neutralizing?

• 5-10 mins

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 10-15 mins

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 15-20 mins

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • 20-25 mins

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 25+ mins

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

God's Anointed

for you guys to apply your self-relaxers? So, i'm finally doing my hair after a much needed relaxer and i was wondering, how long it takes for you guys to apply your relaxers, only up to the point where you neutralize. I know my scalp is sensitive so you best believe i will be basing the night before and the morning of, but when i practiced applying a relaxer with my henna treament, it took like 17 mins. Is that too long? Do i need to speed up or wait until i get more practice?

Last edited:

VirtuousGal

I am a newself relaxer as well. It tokk me 23 minutes to apply and I didnt rinse till about 30, i still was majorly underprocessed!! So... Im not sure if its based on your hair, the relaxer or both...I used vitale life and body for the first go round.

eajaye2u

Between 20-25 mins. i use a mild lye dominican relaxer but i add caster oil to it to slow down the processing time. Hence very little burn if any. It takes me so long becuase I am nursing my edges and nape back to health so thats done last. I apply with a relaxer brush and smooth in with fingers and the back of a comb. After rinsing I apply a nice silk type conditioner for 5 mins, then rinse again and on to neutralizer. You will get a better result the next time becuase you wont be worried about it. I learned from ladies on the board about putting vaseline on my already permed hair to protect it. Works like a charm:D HTH!

pistachio

It takes me a good half hour from the first application of relaxer up until wash out time. I'm slow because I like to be thorough.

CAPlush

God's Anointed said:
for you guys to apply your self-relaxers? So, i'm finally doing my hair after a much needed relaxer and i was wondering, how long it takes for you guys to apply your relaxers, only up to the point where you neutralize. I know my scalp is sensitive so you best believe i will be basing the night before and the morning of, but when i practiced applying a relaxer with my henna treament, it took like 17 mins. Is that too long? Do i need to speed up or wait until i get more practice?

That's sounds like a long time just to apply the relaxer. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems like you should be smoothing at 17 minutes if you relax for that long. But then again, I don't have resistant hair, so I get antsy at 15 min. Either way, you are going to have to watch your hair in the mirror to see when it "breaks down." After it breaks down, I would think you have about 5 min or so before you start overprocessing.

Radianthealth

15-20 minutes for me, I was thinking about decreasing the percentage of my texlax but I am going to stretch for my full 6 months and see what I think then. Right now I am 12 weeks post and loving my hair. The texture is really nice when I treat it right.