How Long Does it Take You to Straighten?

How long does it take you to flat iron?

• Less than 1 hour

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Longer than 3 hours

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I JUST straightened this evening.
it only took me about 20 min. to blowdry, and only an hour to flatiron-i was rushing and it still came out pretty nice.

Allandra, I noticed that your siggy pic was taken by someone named Reniece; is that the same Reniece in Rockville, MD that owns the salon named Reniece & Co. within Salon Plaza? By the way, your hair looks really nice in that pic.
Yes, that's the Reniece.

Thanks for the compliment.

Took me about 4 hours my first time.
Next time, I'll rollerset before using the flat iron.

I blowdry, then do a rough instyler brush though which cuts down my flat ironing time in half and leaves me with a straight/fluffy look. Then I follow up with my ceramic iron to get it sleek

here is how it breaks down:

Blowdry- 10-15 minutes
Instyler- 7 minutes
Babyliss ceramic lat Iron- 30 minutes

W/o the instyler its flat Iron- 60 minutes and it kinda looks :ohwell: I love my instyler.

I have BSL length hair and while it is not thin its not as dense as some heads

ETA: OOPS! Didn't see the poll. 2-3hrs? Thats alotta hair :spinning:

A student used the Instyler on a very small portion of my nape section (my first time every using heat so I was nervous then.) and it straightened pretty nicely. I'd consider buying one. Especially since the price is $14. When I used my flat iron in one pass and I'm wondering if the Instyler PLUS the flat iron is too much. Perhaps I can try only one appliance? Would it work without my blowdrying my hair first but instead airdrying? What are your thoughts? Can I control the temperature with the Instyler? What is the brush made out of?

Thanks!

Without adding the drying time....it takes me about 1 hour and a half to flat iron. I start off with 3 sections....(Nape and two sections in the front) but within those sections i end up with a lot more sections bc i do tiny sections at a time plus i comb each section out with a fine comb.

It seems to take forever sometimes.

The flat iron takes 45 mins to an hour. 10-20 mins to blow dry.

I don't know exactly how long it took when I was natural but it was hours, probably 2 or 3 hours.

ETA: I'm BSL, do 2 passes, use the Sedu 1.5 inch and a 2000 watt ionic blowdryer.

I'm really glad you started this thread. I've only ever done a real flat iron once and it took me about 1-1.5 hrs to flat iron small sections doing two passes everywhere except my fragile bangs. Blowdrying took about 30 minutes because my hair tends to have a mind of it's own. I was quite proud when I was done but 3 days later--POOF back to basics haha

It takes me like 30 minutes to flat-iron my hair (I'm APL). I don't do very small teeny sections, either. I do about 2 passes. I remember with my former roommate, it'd take her sister like 2 hours to straighten our other roommate's hair (and she was relaxed) :perplexed, but she would do very very small sections. IMO, it doesn't take all of that.

I straightened tonight and i timed myself. I started @ 8:30 and was finished by 10pm. But that include about 8 minutes of doing random stuff.

If I'm not including drying time, it takes me less than an hour to flat iron. I usually sit under the hooded dryer for 45 min. before I flat iron. My hair is no where near as long as a lot of the ladies here and it's fine so it really doesn't take long at all. I will say that when I was fully natural (a little past APL) it took much longer since I had to work with smaller sections I also didn't have the best flat iron then either. :nono: I really think that makes a big difference because if you only have to do one pass, it can cut down the time drastically. Here's a link to the iron I have: Jilbere de Paris - Ceramic Tools - Ion Tourmaline Series Flat Iron 2"

I have the 1" model

I voted 2 hours. It takes me about 1.5-2 hrs hours from wash to finish depending on what I am doing and how tangled my hair is. I DC (usually for 15 min or so), detangle (anywhere from 15-45 minutes) then blow-dry (about 10-25 minutes Liquid Keratin reduced drying time a lot!! :) ) and flat iron (about an hour or less) I do one slow pass and 2-3 quick passes on my roots/length.

I think the time it takes depends on how you dry your hair, detangling, dc, etc. I find that the longer my hair is, the less time I spend flat Ironing. Either because I can easily grip it and do larger sections, or because I have perfected a technique (from flat ironing often).

I think the more you flat iron, the easier it is to figure out a routine.

HTH

Back