"GOOD HAIR CARE PRACTISES" What are they?

Mandy4610

I know, I know...I have been on here long enough and I should know what most of them are, but I just want to hear from yall....

When you attribute you hair's health and length to good hair care practices, what exactly are you talking about? What are the good hair care practices that have contributed to your hair's health and length?

please excuse my spelling error in the title.

Last edited:

msa

Watering my hair like a plant.

Frequent DC'ing and moisturizing.

Detangling gently instead of raking a comb through my hair like I don't have any sense.

Protective styles when necessary.

Covering my hair at night.

Eating healthy/exercising, drinking water.

Keeping my hair stretched to avoid knots.

Not braiding or putting on headbands too tight.

Never letting a stylist in my head.

Simply_Kelz

Cowashing.

Frequent DC'ing.

Protective Styling.

Regular moisturizing. And sealing.

Lack of trims.

Stretching relaxer.

Treating my hair like silk.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
If there's one thing I can contributed to my healthy hair practices, that I learned from LHCF that I didn't know before is protein and moisture balance. I think once you master this, your hair goals are unstopable!

larry3344

learning to keep my hair covered (HEADWRAP) during the winter I have done this only once so far and already my hair seems to hold moisture longer!!

wheezy807

Limited/no heat
Stretching relaxers
Deep conditioning with every shampoo
Daily moisturizing
Scarfing at night
Air drying
Protective styles
Applying leave in conditioner

The Princess

What exactly does "stretching a relaxer" does. I thought that it helped your hair grows. What the benefits of stretching?

Mandy4610

What exactly does "stretching a relaxer" does. I thought that it helped your hair grows. What the benefits of stretching?
I THINK it helps with avoiding overlapping, I am no sure, but I think that is one of the benefits. I don't think it necessarily helps your hair grow. I am not sure.

gissellr78

Covering my hair at night

Washing weekly and Deep conditioning weekly

Rollersetting

Good quality products

Relaxing every 3-4 months

Watering my hair like a plant.

Frequent DC'ing and moisturizing.

Detangling gently instead of raking a comb through my hair like I don't have any sense.

Protective styles when necessary.

Covering my hair at night.

Eating healthy/exercising, drinking water.

Keeping my hair stretched to avoid knots.

Not braiding or putting on headbands too tight.

Never letting a stylist in my head.

Took the words right out of my mouth!:yep:

Ivy Santolina

All of the above plus:

Be patient and don't rush. Now I take time to take care of my hair. If I am impatient or rushing then I make mistakes. If I don't think I have enough time to do what I need to do then I don't do it. I wait until I have enough time. So far, the longest I prolonged a DC or co-wash is 2 days. I've been pretty lucky.

Keep a hair journal. That way, if my hair starts misbehaving, I can go through my journal and see if I need to tweak or drastically change my regimen.

T-shirt dry my hair. I no longer use towels on my hair. My SO gives me his old worn out t-shirts and they "towel" dry without roughing up my cuticles. I like his old t-shirts better than the specialty hair towels I bought.

Mandy4610

All of the above plus:

Be patient and don't rush. Now I take time to take care of my hair. If I am impatient or rushing then I make mistakes. If I don't think I have enough time to do what I need to do then I don't do it. I wait until I have enough time. So far, the longest I prolonged a DC or co-wash is 2 days. I've been pretty lucky.

Keep a hair journal. That way, if my hair starts misbehaving, I can go through my journal and see if I need to tweak or drastically change my regimen.

T-shirt dry my hair. I no longer use towels on my hair. My SO gives me his old worn out t-shirts and they "towel" dry without roughing up my cuticles. I like his old t-shirts better than the specialty hair towels I bought.
See this is why I love LHCF and the ladies on here. I can learn a new trick everytime. Good idea.

Girl do you have a fotki or something that I can stalk...I mean check out? I am loving your hair!

Ivy Santolina

Thanks so much. Unfortunately, I don't have a fotki. I've been meaning to set one up though. LHCF has been such a big help in such a short amount of time.

msa

I totally forgot about t-shirt drying. I LOVE it. I use to always find my coils stuck in my towel fibers...whole strands that had been broken off because of the towel. Now I just wrap my hair in a t-shirt just like I would a turban. It's perfect. Gets the water out quickly without breaking my hair.