for those that bc'ed themselves. or cut your own natural hair.....

silvergirl

how did you do it????
Im just gathering information.. Im not 100% sure if i will cut all the remaining relaxed ends off or not yet. but im wondering how you did your bc?

did you straighting it out first? or cut it while wet and curly?

the reason i ask is because the one person whom i trust to cut my hair ( my stylist mom) refuses to do it. lol. because on the odd occasion that i go to her church she requires that my hair be flatironed and striaght and.....long. so she can prove to everyone that yes her daughter does actually have the long hair she told them about... rolls eyes. I go along with it cause i only go with her like twice a year. ok that was totally ot

but im scared to cut it myself. i figure i could just cut it while wet and curly, but it could turn out soooo uneven (if) i wanted to wear my hair straight.

im not sure how to do about it. so that it looks good straight and curly.

any suggestions?

ladylibra

well... when i BCd, i only had 3 inches of new growth. my relaxed hair was also colored a reddish-brown and my new growth was dark brown so... it was easy for me. i cut it wet so it would curl up and i could distinguish the natural hair from the chemically-altered hair. i also cut it down to 2 inches because i had an inch of scab hair that was kinda dry and crunchy.

i'd suggest cutting your hair wet and curly so you are sure to get rid of all the relaxed hair. then if you like, you can press your natural hair and cut it in a style that looks cute when your hair is straight and when it's curly. HTH and good luck to you! :D

GoingNatural

If it is for a BC and not necessarily to style I recommend saturating your wet hair with conditioner so that your curls pop. It makes it easier to tell the relaxed hair from the curls and gives you a clear place to cut. Use REALLY sharp shears to avoid split ends.

If you are worried about even ends you should probably do it when your hair is straight, but that won't ensure all your relaxed ends are gone.

GoingNatural

ladylibra said:
i'd suggest cutting your hair wet and curly so you are sure to get rid of all the relaxed hair. then if you like, you can press your natural hair and cut it in a style that looks cute when your hair is straight and when it's curly. HTH and good luck to you! :D

good idea!

LadyD

I wore braid styles the entire time I transitioned. Every time I got my braids done I would blow dry straight first and then cut about an inch off. Towards the end of the year when almost all the relaxed hair was gone (maybe an inch or two left) I did the BC and just cut the rest of it off. I got single braids, started using Surge, oils and leave-in conditioner and when the braids came out two months later I started dealing with my own natural texture and it's been that way ever since.

When I did the final BC I could not believe how short my hair was. I can't ever remember it being so short but I was amazed at my natural texture. I hadnt seen it since childhood!:lol:

silvergirl

ladylibra said:
well... when i BCd, i only had 3 inches of new growth. my relaxed hair was also colored a reddish-brown and my new growth was dark brown so... it was easy for me. i cut it wet so it would curl up and i could distinguish the natural hair from the chemically-altered hair. i also cut it down to 2 inches because i had an inch of scab hair that was kinda dry and crunchy.

ouuuu ok,, that makes sense. thanks.

i just hope i dont totally, ruin my hair. :look: