Natural - The Most Effective Way to Cut Natural Hair - Straight? or Curly?

The Most Effective Way to Cut Natural Hair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheCoilWhisperer

Alright y'all, it's been a long time since I started a thread and I've never started a poll so we'll see how this goes. Also, I can't figure out how to use the search function since it's been changed so I apologize if this is a common question.... on the the thread. :)

I recently BC'd my hair (6/19) and I have had a total of 3 chops from then until now. All of these chops have resulted in the uneven afro.

My question is: What is the best way to cut Natural Hair? Straight? or Curly?

I've heard that the only way to get an even cut it is to straight the hair. However I've also heard if you are a curly girl who wears their hair curly 99% of the time then you cut it curly.

What has been your experience with cutting your natural hair? Do your prefer it cut on straight or curly hair?

Thanks in advance!

Ediese

I don't know what the right way is, but I will say that when I chopped the stylist did it on wet hair. She layered it too. After I straightened weeks later, it was cut well enough.

Eta: I really think it depends on the skill level of the stylist. My hair was pretty even after my cut. She didn't take off any more than she needed.

Last edited:

Mrs. Verde

Straight....if you cut your hair when it is curly it will probably be uneven. In the curly state it won't be as obvious. But when you straighten your hair it will probably be a HAM.

BillsBackerz67

Unless the salon is informed about how to cut afro textured hair in its curly state, your best bet is cutting it while straight.

TheCoilWhisperer

First, thanks all! And that's the thing, I'm talking to two different stylist with two different schools of thought, of course one straight the other curly and I don't know what to do. Both seems knowledgeable. That's why I'm coming to you ladies cause I can't afford any more mishaps... FOR REAL!

I was thinking, besides heat damage... which is real... what would be downside(s) of cutting natural hair straight?

BlackMasterPiece

I always straighten my hair prior to a trim. I feel its the best way to get the most accurate assessment of my ends and its the best way to get a fully even cut. My hair shrinks like 70% so if you tried to trim the ends while coily you might accidentally cut off like 3 inches. So straight is the way to go for me.

BillsBackerz67

yeah I made that mistake and had to look like george washington for almost 6 months :nono:
I always straighten my hair prior to a trim. I feel its the best way to get the most accurate assessment of my ends and its the best way to get a fully even cut. My hair shrinks like 70% so if you tried to trim the ends while coily you might accidentally cut off like 3 inches. So straight is the way to go for me.

TheCoilWhisperer

AAAH... So, I'll be going straight???

Well what about this DevaCurl cut (I hope I'm calling it by the right name) when you cut the hair wet with conditioner. While waiting to get my hair done I saw someone getting a "DevaCut" and her hair came out too cute. BTW, the person's hair pulled straight was probably BSL whereas I have 4 to 5 inches of hair.

Anyone ever get the "DevaCut"? What was your experience?

natstar

I just got my hair shaped/cut and the stylist cut it curly (stretched-combed out braidout) since I wear my hair in a braidout/twistout 99% of the time. The cut is awesome! She knew exactly what she was doing.

I think you should get it cut in the style that you are going to wear most often-maybe stretched out too.

Last edited:

JaelJael

I had a curly cut done by a Deva trained stylist back in February and it was great! I previously had my hair pressed/curled and "trimmed" by a stylist, who unbeknownst to be cut layers into it which looked ridiculous when curly. Seriously, I had a curly mullet! I found a Deva trained stylist locally who cut my hair curly but dry. She really gave shape to my hair and it translated well when straight. I would post pics to show you but I can't figure out how (sorry)!

TheCoilWhisperer

This is your first post... YAY!

See that's one of the things I heard about cutting/trimming curly hair straight is that it can look crazy once you go back curly. AAAH!!! What to do!

JaelJael

Okay here goes, did a search to try to learn how to attach pics. Hopefully this works!

1st: Hair just after cut. She styled it curly then cut it dry, so as not to cut off too much.
2nd: 2nd day after style/curly cut
3rd: Straight hair 1 month after curly cut

JaelJael

thanks so much! She styled it with CurlKeeper - which I wasn't really that crazy about - but it served it's purpose. So, I guess you can say that my vote is for getting your hair cut curly (and dry). Hope all goes well with your decision.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
OP, one thing to keep in mind is that each stylist has different methods and of course levels of skill. When there is a difference of technique, there will also be a different in approach. While I have had the best success with a dry (straight) cut, I have also received trims while wet. What looks great wet might be uneven when dry.

For this reason, I try hard to find one person to work with because jumping around will yield different results since each person will have different techniques (and fixes for problems) which lead to SHS (scissor happy stylist).

I recently visited a natural hair salon and interviewed a stylist regarding a few hair problems that I had. She explained how and why we may get totally different results altho we give the same set of instructions to different stylists which comes down to training, technique, skill and experience.

TheCoilWhisperer

I agree each stylist will have different training, technique, skill and experience. Would you say the curly cut/trim is a budding art?

Qtee

I think it depends on how u wear ur hair mostly..i wear my hair my hair curly mostly so I would care more about the shape curly as opposed to str8..

laurend085

Okay I'm confused now. I posted a while back about how my stylist wanted to do my bc. She wants me to come in with my hair already straightened and she'd do it that way. I was adviced that she should do it while wet, so it's okay to do it while dry and straight???

WyrdWay

Okay I'm confused now. I posted a while back about how my stylist wanted to do my bc. She wants me to come in with my hair already straightened and she'd do it that way. I was adviced that she should do it while wet, so it's okay to do it while dry and straight???
laurend085 I would be afraid of the stylist leaving relaxed/texlaxed ends on if she cut it straight. Se could always cut ir curly and then straigten you and even it up if she needed to. But I have no experiance with bc-ing that's just how it looked in my head. :)

starfish79

I've had my hair cut both ways and definitely got a better dry cut. One of the times I got a wet cut it was so uneven that you could see it even curly!

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i'm relaxed but with a lot of shrinkage. the other day i planned on cutting about 1-2 inches off and it was actually about 4 inches when i examined the pieces i cut. i vote straight.

prettyinpurple

My stylist does a blow-out then trims my hair. My hair doesn't end up perfectly straightened, just stretched out. I leave with a huge fro LOL. She just trims to the natural shape of my hair. I never wear my hair straight so I don't need a style intended for straight hair.

I think the technique for your hair will depend on your hair type and level of shrinkage. My hair shrinks up like nobody's business, so a dry curly cut would end up a mess. It just works better when the stylist can clearly see my ends and what needs to be trimmed.

I have had a trim on wet curly hair, and I still prefer the blow-out method. Cause once it dries, my hair looks completely different.

Aviah

I've had two cuts while curly/kinky. they were very well done, but cut too much off for my taste. I may straighten for the next TRIM (and it will be a trim this time)

LongLeggedLife

I think it depends on whether you are cutting for style or trimming for health of ends. Seems virtually impossible to just do a light dusting while curly.

As far as BC's...use clippers with a guard, its so easy and it's perfectly even.

luckiestdestiny

Okay here goes, did a search to try to learn how to attach pics. Hopefully this works!

1st: Hair just after cut. She styled it curly then cut it dry, so as not to cut off too much.
2nd: 2nd day after style/curly cut
3rd: Straight hair 1 month after curly cut

This cut is too cute. I love it. Especially since it looks great both straight and curly.:yep:

Diva_Esq

:yep::yep::yep::yep: Yep, what she said is true for me too!

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I prefer to trim my hair while in twist by just cutting a little bit of hair at the tips. I want to get that deva-chan cut one day, but I rarely need to trim my hair since I don't use heat.