SHOULD YOU CUT NATURAL HAIR THAT IS..........?

TCT

does natural hair that was previously not tangle prone, but all of a sudden gets thick matted tangles every time the hair is wet equal damaged hair? i am really puzzled. i have wet my hair in the shower for @ least once a day the whole of last yr and most of this yr. now all of a sudden my hair is tangled everyday. especially on top.( i mean like the whole crown is tangeld into two balls. one fat one on each side of my center part.) i cut 3 months ago, and was so impressed with the condition of my hair, now it is woarse than when i cut it in the first place. i have broken soooo many hairs i fell like i have to cut again, all though i wasnt wanting to cut so soon after the one i mentioned above. i have to do something though cause my hair is so fine that when i have too many broken or damaged hairs mixed in with good ones they wrapp around the good ones and start breaking them too.

@ first i suspected too much moisture, then i think i over did the protien and now my hair has been havock stricken, im soooo confussed.

oh sorry! my question is when all this breakage happens is it better to cut or what?

I think you need moisture. The tangles and matting are a result of dry hair, could be an OD on protein...Think super deep moisture-enfused conditioners.

My hair recently started tangling, and I think it had a lot to do with excess protein. After I washed with baking soda, I applied the Aphogee protein treatment. Then, I used the Silk Elements cholesterol to deep condition. I had no idea that was too much protein. Since then, I've been cowashing alot and deep conditioning overnight with Lustres Cholesterol. My hair seems to be doing better.

I hope you get to the bottom of this. I don't think it was too much moisture. If you over moisturize, your hair tends to get limp and mushy. It's probably too much protein.

What do you do to your hair before bed at night? If you just leave it out, that could be causing the tangles. I suggest you braid or twist it and then wear a bonnet. Also, you should probably finger detangle it before you wet it in the shower becuase the water will only make the tangles worse.

I can't help you, just wanted to commiserate and say that this is the story of my natural hair life. My hair seems to tangle worse the longer it gets. I usually just cut mine off at this point. :sad::sad::sad:

Have you tried washing your hair in sections? That might help. I don't think you should cut yet, trying using more moisturizing products/DC for a while and see if your hair recovers.

You might just need a trim. My hair starts to tangle when I need one. I would up my DCing first to see if that helps. Then if not, I'd get a small trim.

First, I'd try salt - a teaspoon of it to about 8 oz+ of conditioner - use it as a DC. That should help if the problem is moisture or over-protienated.
If that doesn't work, I'd try acid - heavily diluted ACV (2 tbsp to 2 cups of water). That should help if the problem is lifted/raised cuticles.
Thirdly, how are you wearing your hair and how often are you detangling? Your hair just might have hit a new length, and what you used to do just plain isn't working anymore.

Good luck!

First, I'd try salt - a teaspoon of it to about 8 oz+ of conditioner - use it as a DC. That should help if the problem is moisture or over-protienated.
If that doesn't work, I'd try acid - heavily diluted ACV (2 tbsp to 2 cups of water). That should help if the problem is lifted/raised cuticles.
Thirdly, how are you wearing your hair and how often are you detangling? Your hair just might have hit a new length, and what you used to do just plain isn't working anymore.

Good luck!

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE, i usually wear it in a poytail, or braided in two braids. i am the same lhcf'r that had the issue with my hair not curling/kinking up in the front and didn't know if it was due to me always wearing a ponytail and a scarf on top of that or if it was just naturally that way. i don't know if its longer, but its deffinately fuller. i cut from a longer length than i am right now, because i had broken so many hairs when i was learning that the old raggady hairs were wrapping around good ones and causing me problems.i don't really know what to do cause the moisture from the co-wash really helps me , but it seems that once again i am in the middle of a set back. i really dont want to cut again, but if this hair is gonna act anything like the last hair that i had cut away. i'll have to or suffer an even woarse set back. :sad: to cut another 3 or 4 inches will amount to between 7 and 8 inches in 4 months. :wallbash:. i'm totally going in the wrong direction here:sad:.

Have you tried washing your hair in sections? That might help. I don't think you should cut yet, trying using more moisturizing products/DC for a while and see if your hair recovers.

well i have done this but, i havent done it in @ least 1 and a half 2 years, and i hadnt needed to, who knows maybe this may help some. i have to revisit this and see.

What do you do to your hair before bed at night? If you just leave it out, that could be causing the tangles. I suggest you braid or twist it and then wear a bonnet. Also, you should probably finger detangle it before you wet it in the shower becuase the water will only make the tangles worse.

i almost never sleep without a scarf. i can probably count on my hands its so far and few in between.

Don't cut!!!!
try super moisturizing
be patient and detangle gently while hair is saturated w/ condish
do you sleep with your hair covered?
if not, you should start.
If so, maybe braid it up before you put your scarf on?

Good luck, but don't resort to cutting!

Don't cut!!!!
try super moisturizing
be patient and detangle gently while hair is saturated w/ condish
do you sleep with your hair covered?
if not, you should start.
If so, maybe braid it up before you put your scarf on?

Good luck, but don't resort to cutting!

WELL, it seems that the reaccuring advice from you ladies is to seek out moisture. so the next question from me is what suggestions do you have for super moisturize my tresses. currently i use he ltr with heat, and i like that. occasionally i used mega silk deep conditioners from sally's. can anyone suin my relaxed days nothing worked better for me than cholesterol (queen hellen) but now that i'm back to natural it doesnt do a thing for me.

Good luck!

GREAT ADVICE!!! :yep:

That happened to me last week...and all I needed was more moisture.

Basically...what they said. :grin:

Hope your tanglies get better!

cj

Back