Cutting Natural Hair - Which Is The Most Versatile?

naturalmanenyc

Cutting on dry curly hair

Cutting on dry, straightened hair

Cutting on wet/damp curly hair

A friend who has been using Devachan for a while loves her curly cut (cut dry on curly hair) but says it look awful when straight (uneven).

The last few salons I called cut on dry, straightened hair although you can leave with a curly style.

I came across videos where natural hair was cut while wet/damp, albeit stretched for the cut.

Thoughts?

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
I cut my hair dry and "curly". I use the quotes because I cut my hair right before I shampoo it, which is usually day 6 and it's at its straightest. My hair gets straighter the more it's combed. So on day 1 it's curliest. By day 6 it looks like beach waves. I part it down the middle, pull each side to the front as straight as possible and cut it straight across. I use a body part as landmark to make sure it's even. Repeat on the other side.

This gives me a perfect "V" cut every time.

GGsKin

I've trimmed my hair dry and curly/coily and wet and coily- usually coil by coil. I wear my hair shrunken so it works for me. I still try to make sure each section is relatively even.

The only reason I haven't trimmed my straight hair yet is because I haven't used heat for almost two years and I'm waiting for my layers to grow out some more. But if I wanted it even, I'd definitely go the straight route.

ajargon02

I get a dry curly cut. My hair looks fine when straightened. It's in a "V" shape. Maybe she needs to find another stylist that can shape her up so she can start fresh.

naturalmanenyc

My BFF trims for damage, not shape. She clips off any pieces that seem damaged while twisting or styling (dry or wet doesn't matter).

LdyKamz

That dry curly cut is bogus. It looks nice if you never plan on wearing your hair straight. Because the shape is awesome when you're curly right but even though one would think it would lay in exactly the same way straight it looks lopsided as hell...in my experience. The last time I went to the salon the girl cut me while straight and was like it's better this way because it looks good flat ironed and you can still wear it curly and it will look just fine. The girl before her told me the exact opposite and gave me a very nice cut in my natural state but I looked a HAM when I flat ironed.