Flax Seeds?

soulchild

Has anyone tried actual flax seeds as opposed to the liquid oil or softgels?

If so, how did you take it? Can it be mixed well with cereal? The oil is really hard for me to take (even mixed with apple juice). The taste is too much
Also, from what I understand, the actual seeds have more health benefits and are cheap.

BTW, I have the Puritan Flaxseed oil, I'm not sure how the taste compares to other brands.

Thanks in advance

Nonie

Soulchild, mix the oil in fruit yoghurt or a fruit smoothie. It's so much better when taken that way.

I haven't tried the nuts but that's my next plan when I ran out of the bottle I just bought. Like you, I have a hard time taking it unless it's in a smoothie or yoghurt. (I am considering buying one of those syringes you give babies or cats medicine with and using it. That way, I can drop it down my throat and bypass my tastebuds.
)

I don't know about the PP brand but someone said that the one from Barleans ( www.barleans.com ) tastes nice. (I think nice is a relative term but if you don't mind being my guinea pig, I'll cheer you on while you give it a test run then report back your findings.
)

soulchild

Thanks for the info nonie. Once I finish this huge bottle I think I'm going to try the flax seeds that you grind. I hope someone here has tried it that way though and can let me know how they liked it. LOL, as you can see I don't like being the guinea pig

Angelicus

Some people like to grind them up and put them in food. it tastes pretty good that way. Personally i used to just throw them in ice cream (im a weight loss guru, not a health guru)

Ipanema

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
Personally i used to just throw them in ice cream (im a weight loss guru, not a health guru)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you put them in the ice cream whole, or grind them first? I have an unopened bag of flaxseeds, and a tub of ice cream that simply needs to be eaten. But I don't have a grinder.

nebula24

I had to give up flax oil because it made me extremely nauseous! Now, I do the following: grind 1/4 flaxseeds in a coffee grinder; blend flaxseeds with 1 cup orange juice, 3 large frozen strawberries, one banana and 4 ice cubes. If desired, add a few bluberries. Mix well and serve. Tastes great!!!

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
you can buy flaxseed meal in a lot of health stores. It can be used to make a bunch of things such as flaxssed muffins. here's the recipe I got from another forum.

Subject: flaxseed muffins

Low carb Flax Seed Muffins

6 T butter, melted
3 large eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream or half and half

Beat these 3 ingredients together ( don't be alarmed that it looks
funny
or clumpy), then add:

1/2 cup Splenda (I use 12 pkts)
1 T vanilla
1 T maple flavoring (optional)

Mix the following together and add to the above:

2 tsp. cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg
1/2 rounded tsp of both baking powder and baking soda
1 cup ground flaxseeds (in my experience, about 2/3 cup whole grinds
up
to 1cup)
1/4 cup soy flour, Atkins bake mix OR gluten flour (I use the gluten)
1/4 -1/2 cup chooped pecans (optional)

Put into 12 paper cupcake liners in a muffin tin and bake at 375 for
15-20 mins..

sorry it's so long