Does Anyone Know Recipes for Flaxseed?

seraphim712

Not the oil, but the actual seeds. I purchased a bag from GNC on Saturday. The only thing is, the directions suggested that I use within a 45 day period. So far I've been eating flaxseed with my yogurt (which is very yummy btw) but I really want to put it into food that can take one tablespoon a day.

The only foods I can think of is oatmeal and yogurt. I would like to put it in peanut butter, but I'm not sure how that will affect the flaxseed. If anyone knows what other foods to eat flaxseed with please post your recipes or ideas here!!!

Isis

Make sure you grind your seeds first. You can use a coffee grinder for that. I sprinkle my ground seeds over my salads and in soups. It's good sprinkled over hot cereals like oatmeal too. I've also made energy bars with it mixing it with honey, sunflower seeds, chopped dates and chopped almonds. You can also mix the seeds in breads (but use less oil or butter since the seeds are oily) or make flaxseed crackers.

When the seeds are in a liquid like water or soup, the liquid gets thick and slimy. This makes it a good thickener when in soup or something like oatmeal.

I thought I posted a recipe for hair setting gel made from flaxseeds and water. I'll see if I can find it. :)

ETA: Here is the thread I was looking for:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=418383

Last edited:

seraphim712

Thanks I will try this out. One question, is it bad to eat flaxseeds without grinding them? That's what I've been doing so far.

pattycake0701

I tried the flaxseed gel before and mixed it in a cream conditioner. Good stuff, I might start back to using it.

Yes, grind your seeds before eating them. From what I understand, you are not getting any of the benefits and nutrients from the seeds unless they are finely ground. I've been putting them in my smoothies. I grind the seeds into powder then I add my smoothie ingredients. If I blend well, I can't taste the seeds (I'm not fond of the taste of flaxseeds).

Isis

I tried the flaxseed gel before and mixed it in a cream conditioner. Good stuff, I might start back to using it.

Yes, grind your seeds before eating them. From what I understand, you are not getting any of the benefits and nutrients from the seeds unless they are finely ground. I've been putting them in my smoothies. I grind the seeds into powder then I add my smoothie ingredients. If I blend well, I can't taste the seeds (I'm not fond of the taste of flaxseeds).
Co-signing with Pattycake0701. :yep:
Not grinding the flaxseeds first means they will pass through your system whole with no benefits. After grinding, they must be refrigerated since it will go rancid quickly. One can buy flaxseeds already ground also.

Mixing the gel in a cream conditioner sounds like a good idea. :scratchch
Thanks, Pattycake0701! :)

JFemme

Hiya !:grin:

Yep, I've got a recipe I use often.... its for morning muffins...:grin:

Grind flaxseeds first....:yep:

2 cups of flaxmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
cinnamon (I don't measure it)
either 1/2 cup Splenda granules or 1 tsp liquid Stevia
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar free syrup (DaVinci or Torani brand if you have it)
4 tb water
6 eggs
handful of pecans

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together. Preheat oven to 350. I use muffin papers- pour into muffin pan and bake for 10-15 min. Should make 18 muffins give or take...

I add in blueberries, peanut butter, cocoa nibs, almond meal or whatever I have on hand when I get bored wtiht the ingredients above....

tweak to your liking....:yep:

seraphim712

Thanks for the info!!! I have to find a grinder somewhere...

I also found this recipe for flaxseed tea that I will definately try out:

4T Flaxseed Meal (I'm assuming the 'T' stands for tablespoon(?))
2C Boiling Water
Dash or two of Ground Cinnamon
Evaporated Cane Juice to taste

1. Measure the flaxseed meal into a 2-cup measuring cup and fill with boiling water. Allow to steep about 12-15 minutes.

2. Using a fine mesh strainer, pour the steeped tea through the strainer into another 2-cup measuring cup or small pitcher.

3. Shake a dash or two of ground cinnamon and sweeten to taste with evaporated cane juice. Recipe makes very large cup or 2 teacups of flaxseed tea.

JFemme

Thanks for the info!!! I have to find a grinder somewhere...

I also found this recipe for flaxseed tea that I will definately try out:

4T Flaxseed Meal (I'm assuming the 'T' stands for tablespoon(?))
2C Boiling Water
Dash or two of Ground Cinnamon
Evaporated Cane Juice to taste

1. Measure the flaxseed meal into a 2-cup measuring cup and fill with boiling water. Allow to steep about 12-15 minutes.

2. Using a fine mesh strainer, pour the steeped tea through the strainer into another 2-cup measuring cup or small pitcher.

3. Shake a dash or two of ground cinnamon and sweeten to taste with evaporated cane juice. Recipe makes very large cup or 2 teacups of flaxseed tea.

Great...:yep: I use my coffee grinder.... its works like a charm:yep:

seraphim712

Um....

In the heat of the moment, I up and ran to the kitchen and made me a flaxseed mask:look:

I put a tablespoon of flaxseed in the blender and grated it until it was a semi-fine meal ( I also noticed that the flax oil was clumped together at the bottom of the blender...) put it in a small plastic container, added a small tablespoon of jojoba, a small tablespoon of grapeseed oil, and some water. I mixed it together into a paste and created my own spur of the moment flaxseed mask.

It's plastered on my face right now so there is an aroma of nuttyness around me at the moment:grin:

Isis

Hiya !:grin:

Yep, I've got a recipe I use often.... its for morning muffins...:grin:

Grind flaxseeds first....:yep:

2 cups of flaxmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
cinnamon (I don't measure it)
either 1/2 cup Splenda granules or 1 tsp liquid Stevia
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar free syrup (DaVinci or Torani brand if you have it)
4 tb water
6 eggs
handful of pecans

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together. Preheat oven to 350. I use muffin papers- pour into muffin pan and bake for 10-15 min. Should make 18 muffins give or take...

I add in blueberries, peanut butter, cocoa nibs, almond meal or whatever I have on hand when I get bored wtiht the ingredients above....

tweak to your liking....:yep:
What a great hair recipe with all of those eggs along with the flaxseeds...thank you JFemme! :)
*saves this in her recipe file* :fan: