Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap as a Poo?

msjones

Hey All-

I use this for my body wash, but because of the ingredients I was wondering if I could use it as a shampoo. Has anyone tried this? I have the lavender one, but I was thinking that the peppermint one might act as a scalp stimulator too?

Lavender:
Organic Lavandin & Lavender Oils
A soothing bathing experience, replenishing body and soul.
Ingredients: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Lavandin & Lavender Oils, Citric Acid, Vitamin E
http://www.drbronner.com/drb_sai_liquids.html

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
My friend strongly advised me against using the Peppermint variety when I mentioned I would try it; so I'll do the same to you! Maybe others have had different experiences, I dunno. She used the Peppermint soap as shampoo once and she said it left her hair dry, stripped and straw-like. She had to follow-up with several co-washes to return her hair a somewhat normal condition.

ms*x

i just have 2 things to say:
EXTREMELY CLARIFYING!!!!!

have some moisture something or another on hand immediately.

grnidmonster

I have found it to be really drying on my skin so I have not tried it on my hair. I was thinking that diluted with water maybe 1 part castile to 2 parts water may be ok. Also, if it gets in your eyes, it is brutal.

newflowers

I use the lavander as a body wash too - isn't it the best scent? I would not consider it aas a shampoo, and it seems others have not had good experiences.

Have you considered adding peppermint eo to your clarifying poo?

Evazhair

When I was natural, I could use it diluted even though I found it to be very stripping, it felt so good on the scalp. I wouldn't dare now I am relaxed. A good substitute could be Aveda rosemary mint poo.

Guapa1

I use the peppermint and the tea tree oil and they work fantastic. The key is the dilute dilute dilute!

Don't use it straight from the bottle that is just asking for trouble. I don't even use it straight on my body, the thing can clean a car engine, I'm not THAT dirty! :lachen:

I have a spray bottle and use it about 1 part soap to four parts water. Spray right on the scalp and massage. It feels lovely.

Healthb4Length

I tried this when I was natural and it was a very :blush:. It felt really overpowering on the scalp and I had red teary eyes for hours afterwards. This peppermint shampoo also made my hair feel very stripped and dried...If I were to ever use it again it would be as a clarifying poo.

Honey6928215

I'm using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap as a facial wash and shampoo. I never had any trouble with it. Like a poster says you have to dilute. When washing my face, I I wet my wash cloth and splash watering on my face. Then a squeeze a dime-size on my already-wet wash cloth and I make suds then apply it on my wet face.

That's the same for my hair. I wet my hair first, then apply the soap and wash about twice. It takes ALL the grease and dirt out. Then I follow with a conditioner and oil.

Barbara

Princess
I use it all the time when I bathe and wash my hands, because it’s natural. I pour a little on my washcloth and then I add water to my washcloth. It doesn’t dry my skin, and it lathers wonderfully. I take it into the salon so my stylist can use it on my hair as the first wash. (He’s never complained about it, and he will complain if something doesn’t work well on my hair.) It lathers really well. Then he uses my Cream of Nature moisturizing/detangling formula shampoo as the second wash. The castile soap is definitely a keeper for life--much better than the Trader Joe’s castile peppermint soap I used to use.

ms*x

i dilute mine in a spray bottle and keep it in the shower...it's about 1 part to 4 parts. i use it for my clothes straight up. i've washed my hair with it diluted. like i said before, have PLENTY of moisturizer something on hand immediately!

alundra

Addicted to jdramas
Castile soap has a very high PH, I think it's something like 8 or 9. That means that it can make your hair very dry. I hear it's not recommended for hair. But if you use it, then be sure to have something moisturizing on hand.

Ivonnovi

As part of my trying to reduce the toxins i use regularly, I've been using Dr. Bronner's as a shampoo. This is from the FAQ page. http://www.drbronner.com/faqs_main.html#faq9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I shampoo and condition my hair organically?

1) Shampoo with your favorite Dr. Bronner’s soap. True soaps clean hair well but can leave a tangly look & feel; however…

2) Rinsing with our new Organic Shikakai Conditioning Rinse results in spectacular look and feel! Just stir 1- 2 capfuls of this rinse into a cup of water, close eyes and slowly pour while massaging into hair. Keep hand combing hair until hair feels entirely sleek (~30 seconds). Rinse out well. Repeat if necessary in extra hard water conditions or with longer hair.

3) After drying lightly with a towel, massage in Dr. Bronner’s new USDA Organic Leave-In Conditioning Crème for added silkiness and softness.

I have used the Dr. Bronners Castille Soap with shikakai. I think it was peppermint in a blue pump bottle. This one is already diluted and mixed with some oils. However, I did not like it. I felt like it left a film on my hair. Itfelt some of the shampoo bars I have tried. Maybe like a previous poster said it was clarifying but anyway I felt like a need a moisturizing poo afterwards.

SherylsTresses

I'm thankful for this post...!!! I tried Traycee's (from K.I.S.S.) Dr Bonner Magic Soap mixture and used it. Since reading this thread I may not use it again.

Her shampoo recipe:
2 oz Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap
2 oz Your favorite oil
16 oz purified water (or more I'm not totally sure)

Solitude

I purchased this originally for my hair, but I now love it for body wash and house-hold cleaning. I use the Lavendar one for body wash & the unscented one for cleaning and removing stains.

I want to revisit using it for my hair, but it seemed harsh. When I mixed it with oils, my hair felt too oily.

remilaku

Love it, Love it, Love it!!! Dr. Bronners is my first love. I wash my hair with it alot. It is one of my faves.

doriannc

i use the bar soap, almond I think, once a week. I only shampoo my hair once a week after a whole week of co-washing. I just swipe the bar once on my hand and make a lather and just swipe it through my hair. The key is to just scrub your scalp because it is already a big clarifier so you don't have to even touch your ends. I just follow up with Joico moisture condish, leave in for 5 mins and my hair is divinely soft. I've never use the liquid though, I use that for home cleaning.

Duchesse

I've used it straight in the past, and recently bought a new bottle of Peppermint. The last time I washed my hair, I squirted some in a cup, added some condish and water, and used that. It made my scalp really clean, but I does need to be diluted.

jamaraa

Nope, I wouldn't. i've tried several of their 'flavas" and each are way too harsh for my facial skin, so I wouldn't dream of putting it on my hair. I use the almond and tea tree varieties to wash my back.