Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Nay- why didn't it work for you

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

JollyGal

http://www.akamuti.co.uk/products/new/organic-liquid-castille-soap-250ml/

The ingredients in this one are; Ingredients: Water, Organic Saponified Olive Oil, Organic Saponified Coconut Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Citric acid. SLES & SLS Free

My scalp is itching like crazy. I want to give up shampoo all together- I'm using CON navy label. It's so moisturising but I feel like it is making my scalp itch. I'm currently in braid extension and I am giving those up in july (july please hurry up).

Has it worked for you? Why? Why not?
What does it smell like?

I'm sitting here with card in hand ready to order :wallbash:

Lucky's Mom

I have used castile soap for about 4 years. I do dilite it however - and add oils and eo's of my choice. I have a recipe............ I will give it to you.

I love Castile.

JollyGal

I have used castile soap for about 4 years. I do dilite it however - and add oils and eo's of my choice. I have a recipe............ I will give it to you.

I love Castile.

please let me know your recipe.

Do you think the ingredients in the castile soap I posted require diluting?

foxee

I found this in a book I'm currently rereading (Secrets of the Spas by Catherine Bardey):

Castile & Rosemary Shampoo for Dark Hair

1/2 cup fresh rosemary (or 1/4 cup dried)
1 1/2 cups boiling water
3 tablespoons pure Castile soap
1 teaspoon jojoba or sesame oil
3 drops patchouli essential oil (optional)

Crush herbs and put in a glass jar with a lid. Pour boiling water over herbs. Let steep with lid on for 20 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid and discard herbs. Add castile soap and jojoba oil to rosemary infusion and stir well. Add drops of essential oil and pour shampoo into a flip-top or squeeze-type plastic bottle for convenience.

JollyGal

I ordered it. It should arrive on tuesday. Yipness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to see how it is diluted and then followed up with an ACV rinse. To celebrate me finally giving up braids I'm going to buy some herbs and add that too my castille soap. I really hope it works because my head itches and it's annoying me.

ETA: Just found out you can also use herbal tea bags as a sub for fresh herbs

Misshairdiva

Have you used this shampoo? Since I make castile soap I would love to know why they would feel the need to use "citric acid" in shampoo. I know why they used coconut oil in their shampoo because coconut oil gives shampoo more of a lather, however coconut oil in soap is harsher than olive oil.
Let me know how this castile works for your hair.

mstar

Luxury bacon
Thanks for the recipe, Lucky's Mom. Does that recipe require preservatives or refrigeration? I know it would take me a while to use the entire 8 ounce bottle of poo--do you think it would be safe to store the poo for later use?

I use Traycee's recipe for Dr. Bronner's : 2 ounces of oils, 2 ounces of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap, peppermint and lavender essential oils, and 12 ounces of water (but I make mine in smaller batches).

I also use the same basic recipe for body wash. Right now, I'm using Dr. Bronner's Almond mixed with a Creamy Coconut body gloss (oil blend), and it smells so good!

JollyGal

Have you used this shampoo? Since I make castile soap I would love to know why they would feel the need to use "citric acid" in shampoo. I know why they used coconut oil in their shampoo because coconut oil gives shampoo more of a lather, however coconut oil in soap is harsher than olive oil.

I will let you know.

I've ordered some more african black soap just incase it doesn't work.

Citric acid isn't bad for the hair right? I'm defo going to dilute it.

I use another soap with similar ingredients called baby soap it works fine for my skin. coconut is the first ingredient.

I would also prefer to make my own but I don't even know where to begin.

Solitude

I bought Dr. Bronner's Lavendar Castille Soap for my hair to make shampoo, didn't care for it & I was too lazy to do all the mixing. Works great for body washing & house cleaning, though.

I like a really clean scalp anyway, with that tingly feeling. I guess you could add essential oils to get your scalp really clean....IDK. I don't like oils in my shampoo, either. It felt like I didn't even wash my hair, just wet it. I didn't see the point.

mstar

Luxury bacon
I've been using the Herbal castile shampoo recipe that Lucky's Mom posted, and it is excellent. I tweak the recipe a bit: I use 1 oz. castile soap, ½ oz. oils, and 4 ounces of the herbal infusion. I also substitute scented body gloss for the oil.

Right now, I'm also hooked on the Oyin Honey Wash, which is castile based. I've found that when I first wash with a castile soap, my hair feels kind of sticky (like it's still dirty), but after it dries I can tell that it's very clean.

melodies815

I loved the idea of it, but it dried my hair out like crazy. Also...DH used it for overseas...and dried out his skin.

He has VERY oily skin (like the oiliness of whale blubber all by itself) so that is saying a lot!

Plus...for people with endo or adenomyosis, the tea tree oil is NOT good for TTC (trying to conceive)....

Just my opinion...

cj

nzeee

not certain of their specific reason but it's not harmful for the hair and citric acid can be used to bring down the PH so that could be the reason they're using it.

I loved the idea of it, but it dried my hair out like crazy. Also...DH used it for overseas...and dried out his skin.

He has VERY oily skin (like the oiliness of whale blubber all by itself) so that is saying a lot!

Plus...for people with endo or adenomyosis, the tea tree oil is NOT good for TTC (trying to conceive)....

Just my opinion...

cj
was it drying even w/ addition of water and moisterizing ingredients? castille by itself is definitely too harsh for skin or hair (although i wash my face w/ a couple drops and it's been great.

for my mix i use an 8oz squeeze bottle and fill it
3oz dr bronners peppermint
3oz water (will use distilled next time)
1.5oz+ honeyquat
some SAA (a little, didn't measure)
maybe more water? :look:

anyhoo my hair feels SUPER clean (it tingles) and super soft after a wash. loves it :lick: