• It's applying something to your scalp that increases the hair growth

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

texasqt

I'm 2 seconds away from ordering MT but this thought popped in my head -
Does it really matter what growth aid you use as long as you are applying something to your scalp on a regular basis?

I ask this because I have tried Lenzi's Request and got growth; Boundless Tresses and got growth; my MN mixture and got growth; even WGO, Sulfur 8 and a few others. Even when I apply just oils (EVOO, Castor Oil, or an oil mixture) to my scalp it seems to increase growth. And what do they all have in common = APPLY TO SCALP REGULARLY.

I've also noticed that I get growth and retention just from co-washing regularly (water on scalp often) and I co-wash more when I use a growth aid. At max, I probably got a full inch of growth per month from each of them. Nothing more than that really. I haven't seen a growth aid that has a benefit of 3 inches or more.

The only reason I'm not BSL is probably because of my lack of consistency in using any of the above.

So, what do you ladies think? Is consistency in applying something to the scalp the key or do growth aids really make a difference? I'm not disputing the ease of use the different products or whether one product is better than the other. I'm simply inquiring about the benefits of growth by simply applying something to your scalp often.

(At one point we were told not to apply anything to our scalps but I think that was more along the lines of staying away from mineral oil and petroleum because it clogs the pores.)

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Honestly, I don't think that's really it though.

I am not a growth aid user myself, but I think that retention is based on other things.

I think growth is going to happen regardless unless someone has alopecia or some other scalp condition that prevents normal hair growth.

I don't put anything on my scalp and my hair grows just fine and at a good rate, I can tell by my need to touchup my relaxer sooner than I would like. But my length (or lack of :look:) has been based on other things that are preventing retention. :ohwell:

I do think that massaging the scalp does stimulate the growth process and can get it moving a little better, even if it is just with some oil or nothing at all.

At the same time, I do think that certain ingredients in the growth aid can stimulate on their own more then others. Like MN, or certain EOs - I think they can give a person faster growth than just using nothing at all.

Again, I am not a big growth aids user, but I do think that somethings can crank out hair faster than others.

IntoMyhair

I used to do the growth aid thing about 1 year ago. I have stopped and my hair is growing fast and fine on its own. My avater is my new length and my siggy is my old length. I relaxed last Nov or Dec i would have to check my blogs here to pin point what date. I don't do growth aids for the fact that i forget to apply them. The last 1 was tea rinsing. I have already cut my hair so many times. Matter of fact i just cut it last June than put myself on a personal grow it back challenge. It has grown back why before the June mark with no growth aids.

Noir

Any type of stimulation, whether it is from your fingers, exercise or a particular ingredient (herbs,EO's etc) will have an impact on hair growth. I think your increased growth is the result of the extra stimulation.

~~HoneyComb~~

I chose other.

When I was growing my hair, I never used a growth aid, nor did I use anything on my scalp.

I attributed my growth and retaining length to a few things:

Proper diet.
Simple hair regime--less is more.
Protecting and moisturizing my ends.
Little manipulation.
And minimizing the use of direct heat.

The Princess

About 3 years ago, I never used vits or growth aids, and my hair was growing just fine, however I never got passed SL. It didn't bother me cause IMO that was considered long to me and others considered my hair long as well. I also thought my hair wouldn't get any longer, cause of whatever reason and I was content. However since stepping my game up and using growth aids, my hair is longer and past SL. I belive it helps me get over my stump. Just giving my hair and scalp extra nutrients to stay strong to grow longer with the other items that I do.

peppers01

I've been using growth aids for only a month (since my last relaxer). Every night that I'm applying them, I was amazed at how much my hair had grown. As of now, my hair has grown 2 inches in one month! At first I thought that I was tripping about the growth, but I know that my relaxer took and it wasn't underprocessed. It wasn't just one growth aid that I used, but a combination. I mixed OCT, beemine, MN, cayenne pepper, EVOO and some EOs. I've also been taking a multivitamin, garlic pills, Flax seed oil, and was drinking the egg shake. Something in that regimen worked considering that my hair grows an average of 1/2 inch per month, so yeah growth aids do work.

Yeah your hair is going to grow regardless, but if you're not retaining length then it almost as though it isn't. I've been pretty consistent applying them every night, so yeah consistency is definitely key, but IMO it depends on what you're being consistent with. I can't wait until 4 more weeks to relax and get a clear picture of how much my hair has grown.

newflowers

I'm 2 seconds away from ordering MT but this thought popped in my head -
Does it really matter what growth aid you use as long as you are applying something to your scalp on a regular basis?

I ask this because I have tried Lenzi's Request and got growth; Boundless Tresses and got growth; my MN mixture and got growth; even WGO, Sulfur 8 and a few others. Even when I apply just oils (EVOO, Castor Oil, or an oil mixture) to my scalp it seems to increase growth. And what do they all have in common = APPLY TO SCALP REGULARLY.

I've also noticed that I get growth and retention just from co-washing regularly (water on scalp often) and I co-wash more when I use a growth aid. At max, I probably got a full inch of growth per month from each of them. Nothing more than that really. I haven't seen a growth aid that has a benefit of 3 inches or more.

The only reason I'm not BSL is probably because of my lack of consistency in using any of the above.

So, what do you ladies think? Is consistency in applying something to the scalp the key or do growth aids really make a difference? I'm not disputing the ease of use the different products or whether one product is better than the other. I'm simply inquiring about the benefits of growth by simply applying something to your scalp often.

(At one point we were told not to apply anything to our scalps but I think that was more along the lines of staying away from mineral oil and petroleum because it clogs the pores.)

I do not believe that the extra growth can be completely contributed to the growth aid but TO THE EXTRA, REGULAR, CONSISTENT CARE that you give your hair when you use the growth aids. A scalp massage with no growth aid, no extra product, will increase growth because you increase the microcirculation to the follicles, extra moisture from regular co-washing will help you retain length and your scalp will benefit too. Improving your diet, regular exercise - these also make a difference. Regular care to prevent breakage on the ends - retaining the growth as a result of the extra care - makes a difference. When it seems as if your hair never gets past a certain length, that's not because the hair is not growing, it's because the ends are breaking as fast as it grows - regular care resolves that problem.

I think that growth aids help a tiny bit, but that tiny bit of help gives you the false illusion that the growth aid made the significant difference in your rate of growth. It is the extra care you give to your body, scalp, and hair that makes a difference.

Last edited:

noemi

I don't think GA matter on my hair. As long as I stay consist with my DCing and PSing I do fine. Its going to grow no matter what. Whether its a half inch or inch it doesn't matter as long as I retain what I already have. Growing is easy, its the retention I think most people struggle with. But to each its own.

shelli4018

Well, my hair has never stopped growing. There has never been a moment when I skipped a touch up because I had no growth. However, I have ruined my progress at times by not taking care of my ends. For me....retention is key. That requires a bit more care for my ends. Nothing to do with growth aids.

So no....I don't think growth aids matter much.

Last edited:

Chameleonchick

This is what I think of growth aids. I think they do help to speed up your hair growth for a limited time. Your body will adjust and eventually level out. But I think it is even better when you change your diet and do scalp massages etc. because not only is its good for your hair its good for you. I am doing both right now and when my growth aid is gone/reach APL I'm just continuing with everything else.

baby42

I really dont know any more i know i use GROWTH AIDS when i started to learn a bout my hair and nothing happend. but once i started to dc every week and moisturizes and take care of my ends. THEN useing growth aids they started to work.but now i have to change up and use diff ones cause useing the same one over and over it stop working so now i have 4 of them and looking to make my own herb one to use and leave the sulfur a lone for a min.but in the long run i think you have to take care of your hair first then growth comes any way. growth aids just help it come a little faster i think your hair will grow.I hope so cause i dont want to use a growth aid forever lol

Last edited:

Nonie

I don't use growth aids, but I do believe that if you're having hair loss, then topical products can help with lessening it or regrowing hair. Whether there will be side-effects or whether the results are long-lasting depends on which one you choose. But as far as hastening hair growth, I honestly think a positive mental attitude, good diet, good hair practices and better health are more likely to give you better hair growth than applying products to your head. I don't know how many people know about the power of the mind. That's why placebos work. If you are given chalk pills and told they will do a certain thing, then you are bound to see that thing because you believe in the promise. I also think that hair could be breaking because it's lacking sulphur/sulfur in your diet or protein and so topical application of something may temporarily help in that deficiency (I'm guessing). But I think consuming the products and letting your blood nourish your follicles is bound to give better results. So do I believe in hair vitamins? What I believe is if your diet is lacking in nutrients that you body needs in order to share some with your hair, then hair vitamins can help fill that gap. Again, it's internal nourishment I believe in not external.

ETA: Oh and to answer the question of whether it depends on which one you use, again, it depends on what your hair is lacking. It's like my nails, applying CLAWS gets them to grow long because they are lacking in protein. There are people whose nails grow longer when they start to drink more water. So again, any improvement in the condition of your hair due to topical application may just be coz the elements in that product is what you were lacking. Like how some people find DCing makes a difference. It may be what they are using to DC that is providing what was missing and thus making their hair stronger so it does seem to do better. DCing also gives product more time to work...so that little change may be the ticket.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

Growth aids come in many forms; conditioners, scalp massages, high viggie diet, protein drinks, regular exercise, vitimins, etc. The all have a positive effect on hair, although some are more effective than others it all results in hair growth. So IMO, growth aids do matter.

vnaps

i voted other........

i think no matter how many growth aids you slather on your scalp...(is that how u use them?????).......if you cant retain the ends then it is pointless.......

i think a good regime would be what matters most

HAIR WILL ALWAYS GROW

MagnoliaBelle

I'd be happy to get 1 inch per month. That's 12 inches per year. I just started using MT and MTG. I'm sticking with it for this year so that I'll know the answer to the question for myself.

AtlantaJJ

Bee Mine and MT has cause a serious growth spurt for me. I have only really been focused on supplements in the past which works too. IMHO, growth aids rock, I have gained a lot of growth since the first of the year when I started the growth aid challenge!! :yep:

SvelteVelvet

I believe topical growth aids help but are not necessary. As far as the logic of it not mattering what you are rubbing on your scalp as long as you are rubbing something on your scalp..well stimulation alone is helping, but having something like sulfur in what you are rubbing in also helps. There really is no cut and dry verdict. I've used growth aids off and on for a few years and I have noticed spurts of growth from taking them, as well as areas that may have been thinner than I liked, like my edges, my hair line actually increased from using BT in the past, I'm talking sideburn/baby hairs that weren't there before. That wouldn't have happened without BT or just massaging any old oil. And I'll also say of course, aides are not necessary to grow hair, but it can give it a little nudge if you are looking for that.

OT - Texasqt, you look SOOOOOO much like me from your side profile. Almost scary.

texasqt

I believe topical growth aids help but are not necessary. As far as the logic of it not mattering what you are rubbing on your scalp as long as you are rubbing something on your scalp..well stimulation alone is helping, but having something like sulfur in what you are rubbing in also helps. There really is no cut and dry verdict. I've used growth aids off and on for a few years and I have noticed spurts of growth from taking them, as well as areas that may have been thinner than I liked, like my edges, my hair line actually increased from using BT in the past, I'm talking sideburn/baby hairs that weren't there before. That wouldn't have happened without BT or just massaging any old oil. And I'll also say of course, aides are not necessary to grow hair, but it can give it a little nudge if you are looking for that.

OT - Texasqt, you look SOOOOOO much like me from your side profile. Almost scary.

Then you must be gawgeous - LOL!!! :click: I wouldn't mind being your twin with that hair of yours! :thumbsup:

Last edited: