Votes: 33 3.2%
  • No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! I've been applying a henna paste to my dry hair. Next week, I'll pre-poo then henna on damp hair. I like the idea of attacking the dryness issue before it starts. Thanks ladies!

i just did a henna treatment- i included yogurt this time thanks to the advice of some friends on this board and another that i frequent. It was a much smoother application. Can't wait to see my results tommorrow. I already have another batch ready for next time.

ETA: I just washed it out after 1 hour heat and 4 hours wrap with baggy and satin scarf. I rinsed with water. Washed with black soap and conditioned with SalonCare Sparkling Apples and Pears. I definitely have a texture change this time- it has to be the yogurt. But i am happy. The henna mix was very easy to wash out and the only issue now is how to where my hair. I think my wash and go days are over. My fro is not sitting right at this time. Maybe i'll pull it back or maybe i will leave it be. Have to wait til it dries to decide.

Last edited:
i just did a henna treatment- i included yogurt this time thanks to the advice of some friends on this board and another that i frequent. It was a much smoother application. Can't wait to see my results tommorrow. I already have another batch ready for next time.

ETA: I just washed it out after 1 hour heat and 4 hours wrap with baggy and satin scarf. I rinsed with water. Washed with black soap and conditioned with SalonCare Sparkling Apples and Pears. I definitely have a texture change this time- it has to be the yogurt. But i am happy. The henna mix was very easy to wash out and the only issue now is how to where my hair. I think my wash and go days are over. My fro is not sitting right at this time. Maybe i'll pull it back or maybe i will leave it be. Have to wait til it dries to decide.

Is this what adding yogurt to the mix supposed to do? Change your texture?

Another young lady at another board said that it would change my texture and loosen my curl pattern. It is also good for conditioning and smoothing frizzies and i think keeping dandruff at bay as well.

Is this what adding yogurt to the mix supposed to do? Change your texture?

Yes do keep henna on for at least 2-4 hours to get the benefits of henna.

Henna does control dandruff and rid you of it. There are a lot of medical benefits when it comes to henna. For sure your hair's curl pattern should loosen when using henna.

Cool! I've been applying a henna paste to my dry hair. Next week, I'll pre-poo then henna on damp hair. I like the idea of attacking the dryness issue before it starts. Thanks ladies!

I just did a "hendigo" treatment this weekend on damp hair.
  • I applied Nexxus Humectress to dry hair and sat under a heat cap for 30 minutes.
  • Rinsed and sqeezed out the excess water until hair was damp and then applied my hendigo.
  • Saran-wrapped and kept hendigo on for 2 hours.
  • After rinsing the hendigo out of my hair, I did an oil rinse with EVOO and then did another deep condition with ORS Replenishing Pak
  • Rollerset and sat under the dryer and ....WOW! My hair is moist with very little breakage or shedding. My SO said, "your hair looks nice!" :yep:. I am 6 weeks post and the NG is getting a little nappy...this worked like a charm.
Thanks Sareca and Khadijah!

You Ladies Are The Bomb!!!!!

I’m officially a “Henna Head”!!!! :yay: After much reading and re-reading of your post on henna I took the plunge! I did it last night right after I relaxed my hair. The henna went on pretty easily....just made sure I did not get it all over the place I used a big towel to cover the vanity. I am so very pleased and excited. Washing out the henna was not too difficult after which I conditioned my hair. My hair is so strong!!! I had a very little hair shed while putting my hair in braids. I picked up a couple of the hairs that did come out, pulling on them to see if they were weak. It took extra undue pressure to finally get those hairs to snap! I could not believe the strength that henna has given my hair. My hair was not hard but it did let me know that it was in charge and not weak anymore! :grin: The henna also did a very nice job on those stubborn grey hairs in the front.... they are now a very pretty copper red!!! Thank you again ladies for sharing the wealth of information from the tips, different henna types, amla hair oil, Vatika oil etc!!!!!!! I could go on. I am so very happy with my results!!!!!!!!! Again, you all are the BOMB!!!!!:notworthy

I have been using henna for so many years now and I have never noticed any build up. I just find that the color pretty much gets settled and maintains a good consistency. Yes you do have to wash it out very well to make you get it all out or then you will see more paste coming out into your drain. It isn't washing color out of your hair, it is the actually herbs still being washed out. It takes me a couple of good washes 2-3 to get everything out if I don't do it well enough the first time.

I have 4b hair and it would get VERY VERY tangled if I did this, and I wash my hair in sections. I have henna'd before and my hair was so dry afterwards and I know it's because I didn't shampoo my hair enough. Do you recommend a shampoo that isn't drying so that I could shampoo 2-3 times? Could I conditioner wash in order to remove the herbs from my hair.

I finally found a local indian store close to my job. I got at least a kilo of henna( mumtaz(1 bx), dulhan(4 bx), Karishma (3pks) ), I got 3 bxs of amla powder, 3 bx of shikakai powder, 3 bxs of aritha and that's it. Most of the boxes were a hundred grams but a few were 150 g. I am very pleased with my purchases. It is called Indo-pak Spices, it is located in Herndon, Va and the phone number is 703-709-5842. It is in the K-mart Center. They got good reviews online.

I have 4b hair and it would get VERY VERY tangled if I did this, and I wash my hair in sections. I have henna'd before and my hair was so dry afterwards and I know it's because I didn't shampoo my hair enough. Do you recommend a shampoo that isn't drying so that I could shampoo 2-3 times? Could I conditioner wash in order to remove the herbs from my hair.

i'm not henna sooq or one of the resident gurus and i don't post pictures but i can offer what works for me

try repeated conditioner washes with vo5 conditioner it will remove all traces of henna

:grin::grin::grin:
Add another convert to the list...
Welcome to the "Henna Heads" Avia!
Ain't it grand?! :drunk:

You Ladies Are The Bomb!!!!!

I’m officially a “Henna Head”!!!! :yay: After much reading and re-reading of your post on henna I took the plunge! I did it last night right after I relaxed my hair. The henna went on pretty easily....just made sure I did not get it all over the place I used a big towel to cover the vanity. I am so very pleased and excited. Washing out the henna was not too difficult after which I conditioned my hair. My hair is so strong!!! I had a very little hair shed while putting my hair in braids. I picked up a couple of the hairs that did come out, pulling on them to see if they were weak. It took extra undue pressure to finally get those hairs to snap! I could not believe the strength that henna has given my hair. My hair was not hard but it did let me know that it was in charge and not weak anymore! :grin: The henna also did a very nice job on those stubborn grey hairs in the front.... they are now a very pretty copper red!!! Thank you again ladies for sharing the wealth of information from the tips, different henna types, amla hair oil, Vatika oil etc!!!!!!! I could go on. I am so very happy with my results!!!!!!!!! Again, you all are the BOMB!!!!!:notworthy

:grin::grin::grin:
Add another convert to the list...
Welcome to the "Henna Heads" Avia!
Ain't it grand?! :drunk:

Yes, January Noir, it's Wonderful! I just wish I had known about the benefits years ago! I pressed my hair out yesterday with an electric pressing comb and it came out so silky, smooth and extra bouncy! I kept pulling on it to see if it would shed but it did not. My hair has NEVER been like this not even as a little girl with all natural hair. I could never understand why my hair just did not seem to be as strong or have that extra strength but has made a world of difference. I told my daughter about my experience so when she comes home I'd be doing her hair as well. My only concern is that I've become a "PJ"! I hope I don't have to go to therapy for this!:lachen:Maybe not since henna has so many benefits ......I can stop lurking in these threads!:wallbash:

Sorry Avia,

These threads and this site are like reverse-kryptonite.
You can't NOT come back! :lachen:

One thing to mention, do some pre-conditioning or oil rinses + post DCs to make sure your hair remains hydrated before and after your treatments.

Yes, January Noir, it's Wonderful! I just wish I had known about the benefits years ago! I pressed my hair out yesterday with an electric pressing comb and it came out so silky, smooth and extra bouncy! I kept pulling on it to see if it would shed but it did not. My hair has NEVER been like this not even as a little girl with all natural hair. I could never understand why my hair just did not seem to be as strong or have that extra strength but has made a world of difference. I told my daughter about my experience so when she comes home I'd be doing her hair as well. My only concern is that I've become a "PJ"! I hope I don't have to go to therapy for this!:lachen:Maybe not since henna has so many benefits ......I can stop lurking in these threads!:wallbash:

Sorry Avia,

These threads and this site are like reverse-kryptonite.
You can't NOT come back! :lachen:

One thing to mention, do some pre-conditioning or oil rinses + post DCs to make sure your hair remains hydrated before and after your treatments.

Thanks for the tip! I made sure I put amla, eevo and emu oil in my hair before and after! Shhh.... I'm trying not to let these Texas oil barrons know how much oil I've got!:lachen:They may want to charge me some new tax, limit my oil intake and start watching my UPS deliveries!!!

Thanks for the tip! I made sure I put amla, eevo and emu oil in my hair before and after! Shhh.... I'm trying not to let these Texas oil barrons know how much oil I've got!:lachen:They may want to charge me some new tax, limit my oil intake and start watching my UPS deliveries!!!

Good!
:grin: :grin: :grin: Your Oil "secret" is safe here! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Avia congrats! I am really happy!

Destiny gave some great advice on the conditioning for sure drop the shampoo then and use a conditioner. Make it ONE really good wash even lay in a bath tub and make sure. Let the conditoner sit on your hair for awhile at least 10-15 mins while relaxing in the tub and try again to wash it all out and then put some nice deep leave in conditioner again like a cream type works well or a hair oil.

I hope this really helps. try it out. I forgot about the over washing because yes that doesn't help at all.

Avia congrats! I am really happy!

Destiny gave some great advice on the conditioning for sure drop the shampoo then and use a conditioner. Make it ONE really good wash even lay in a bath tub and make sure. Let the conditoner sit on your hair for awhile at least 10-15 mins while relaxing in the tub and try again to wash it all out and then put some nice deep leave in conditioner again like a cream type works well or a hair oil.

I hope this really helps. try it out. I forgot about the over washing because yes that doesn't help at all.

Thank you for the advice Henna Sooq!!!! I will make sure to try that. I am known for sleeping in conditioner with my plastic baggie as well.:yep: Yep, it was me, I was just lurking and checking out your website. Very very nice and interesting too! Thank you again for the advice.

Indian Stores in DC, MD, VA

Are there Indian stores in the DC metro area or is there a list of B&M stores where I can travel to buy henna in the area?

Last edited:
Re: Indian Stores in DC, MD, VA

Are there henna stores in the DC metro area or is there a list of B&M stores where I can travel to buy henna in the area?

Hi Loved!
Might I suggest you order your henna products from the following:

Henna Sooq
http://www.hennasooq.com/

Or
Mehandi
http://www.mehandi.com/

You'll be sure to get the purist, high quality henna; you'll never have to guess that you have the right stuff!
:yep:

I know some people buy from indian shops and grocers, but I personally prefer to buy from these people. They are reputable and the henna/indigo is excellent. No twigs, unknown additives, etc.

JMHO

Thanks Sareca and Khadijah!

Adding oils to my henna and indigo mix did the trick. I added amla oil to the henna and also to the indigo and this worked a lot better. I used a little Vatika oil in the henna for color release. I also, pre DC'd. My hair has almost no breakage lately. Well, looks like I'm back with my Henna/Indigo. :grin:

I'm an excited about this because those semi-perm rinses only last a couple of weeks and not one day more.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

I have a henna treatment on my hair right now. Last week's was the best ever. I will leave this week's on longer and see what happens. I will post my results in the a.m.

okay- i rinsed it out in the shower. It was a very easy rinse out. I litely shampooed with Saloncare Wild Cherry Shampoo and then Conditioned with Salon Care Wild Cherry Conditioner. My hair felt very silky and smooth. My curls are about the same as last time. Very little shedding/no breakage. I have a bit more of a reddish tint too. I am very pleased.

Only issue- i made it too thin so after several hours, it started to leak. That was my only issue though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back