Henna Question...

Geminigirl

I henna'd my mom's hair this weekend to cover her grays and I put some yarn braids in. Her hair is extremly damaged and I hope we can repair. She seems to think her hair won't grow so hopefully with my help,consistency, and progress she will start properly caring for her hair. I am only helping those with and open heart and mind so that includes her. Anyways my thing is, the henna seemed to dye her hair an orange...like strawberry orange lol. and it really shows through. Is there anything we can do to touch up her roots. I think she may be self-concious about it. TIA

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Depending on the color you want to acheive you can go with either indigo or amla.

Check out this site:

http://www.mehandi.com/

They have LOTS of info on the colors you can acheive with various henna/indigo - henna/amla blends.

HTH and good luck!

frizzy

I do highly recommend using indigo over the henna, but, maybe for a quick fix, you could go with the John Frieda color gloss stuff. It's easy to find at WalMart, Target and lots of other places, too. Don't forget to give your mom's hair lots of moisture, especially when using henna!

vkb247

I was also going to suggest a rinse because it seems like you need quick results and you don't want your mother thinking you don't know what you are doing and lose her trust.

Henna does take a few days to oxidize and usually the color will be deepen afterwards.

sharifeh

Next time you should add indigo or amla, did you give your mom a very moisturizing DC after the henna? Make sure you do that. henna can be a little drying for our hair.

Geminigirl

No my mom wanted her hair braided right away. So very little condtioning.Now she is saying her she can't wear the color to work. So I am just trying to touch up her roots. I think we will try the gloss?

I should have used Amla. I have some too. Darn. I usually put that in my mix I don't know why I didn't this time.

NaturalPath

Im not sure about the chemicals in the gloss, but you may want to do a strand test before using it. I dont think you can use commerical dyes over henna. I tried bigen over henna before and I had some breakage

sewoodinphilly

How about the surya henna creme? This isn't an all natural henna but is pretty close and won't damage your mom's hair further. It comes in a lot of colors. I would avoid any chemicals if possible. And I have heard that it does take a few days for the henna to darken. Can you let us know how your mom made out? Best of luck!

Last edited:

Geminigirl

It's been about a week and trust me it's terrible. I will take before and after pics. Where can I get this henna creme from?