Votes: 33 3.2%
  • No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sareca or Henna Sooq how much coffee did you put in a cup?

I am going to do a Henna and Indigo I figure getting the Henna as dark as possible will only make the black, blacker or darker if that makes any sense.

Also I know this has been asked but do you wash your hair first or just apply.

Another question. I was going to do the oil wash method, but would that be counterproductive if I want to Henna/Indigo my hair? I can always do this in two weeks.

Dont' let their be oil in your hair before your herbal treatment. That will interfere some.

As for coffee. I never use it but by all means go ahead as many people do.

Posting results. This time I got all of the gray hairs.

before:
HairProducts078-1.jpg

After:
SkinCareBefore9307027.jpg

Same area where both pictures were taken just different angles, same camera. This was the same day I did the Indigo, I guess oxidation will only make it darker, if that is possible.

Thank you Sereca and Henna Sooq for your patience in answering 12 eleven million questions! :lachen:

I have the amla and all the other powders down to a science. Now it is time to really work on the Henna+Indigo. I was able to get the Henna ready for over night within less than an hour. I used lemon, Lime and orange juice. I followed the Henna article. It took me about 40 minutes to get the henna in and I let that sit in my hair for 4 hours. I wanted a real good coating of my gray hairs.

The Indigo I used only water that took about 40 minutes to get into my hair and then I let that stay in for almost 3 hours.

I did them both in the same day and one right after the other. I did the shampooing after the Indigo with the oil and it worked out great. Got an incredible shine to the hair as you can see in the second pic.

I only have one problem though, the last time I did this I was a single woman. This time my new hubby was looking at me very strange and said we are going to have strong words if he comes up positive on a drug test!:lachen:

Sereca my honey does not like the smell either! :lachen:

This is where that for better or for worse verse gets repeated!!!! :spinning:

So my next question is how do I maintain the roots?
Do I do a mixture?
Or can I just place the indigo on the roots? (I am thinking no)
Just do the roots with the henna + indigo when the roots needed it?

Posting results. This time I got all of the gray hairs.

before:
HairProducts078-1.jpg

After:
SkinCareBefore9307027.jpg

Same area where both pictures were taken just different angles, same camera. This was the same day I did the Indigo, I guess oxidation will only make it darker, if that is possible.

Thank you Sereca and Henna Sooq for your patience in answering 12 eleven million questions! :lachen:

I have the amla and all the other powders down to a science. Now it is time to really work on the Henna+Indigo. I was able to get the Henna ready for over night within less than an hour. I used lemon, Lime and orange juice. I followed the Henna article. It took me about 40 minutes to get the henna in and I let that sit in my hair for 4 hours. I wanted a real good coating of my gray hairs.

The Indigo I used only water that took about 40 minutes to get into my hair and then I let that stay in for almost 3 hours.

I did them both in the same day and one right after the other. I did the shampooing after the Indigo with the oil and it worked out great. Got an incredible shine to the hair as you can see in the second pic.

I only have one problem though, the last time I did this I was a single woman. This time my new hubby was looking at me very strange and said we are going to have strong words if he comes up positive on a drug test!:lachen:

Sereca my honey does not like the smell either! :lachen:

This is where that for better or for worse verse gets repeated!!!! :spinning:

So my next question is how do I maintain the roots?
Do I do a mixture?
Or can I just place the indigo on the roots? (I am thinking no)
Just do the roots with the henna + indigo when the roots needed it?

I see that shine! :congrats: You can just do the roots if you want to. I do my whole head everytime (every week). Remember it's also a conditioner. As for keeping the peace in your house, I'd recommend the coffee. As long as you didn't have an issues with dryness. You can even make it weak coffee. It will helpwith the ...um...aroma.

I have a dilemma, ladies. I hope someone can help.

I have been using henna and indigo since February and I love it!

Unfortunately I have been experiencing some breakage (several pieces) in my crown where sections of my hair are coarser than the rest of my strands.

My hairstylist suggested I stop using the henna. :eek: :shocked:

:cry::whyme::crying3::crybaby:

He believes that the strengthening properties of henna are causing that section of hair to be inflexible and snap.

Hearing this broke my heart because nothing covers my grays and makes my thin hair appear thicker like henna.

I have to admit that I am a “purist” when it comes to my henna mixes. I don’t add oils or conditioners except when I do henna glosses.

Do you think if I add oil and conditioners to my henna mix that it would help in alleviating this problem?

Maybe I henna too often? (average use has been once a month).

Any suggestions would be appreciated! :yep:

My stylist said the same thing!:nono: I have a lot of gray hair too. It's in my family big time and nothing covers my grays either like henna but I was having a lot of breakage also. I was wondering the same thing about adding the oil to the mix. I would love to know because I used a semi-perm rinse 1 week ago and my grays are already peeking through. It surely won't last an 8 week stretch.

SweetnLow, Absolutely do add the oils but add the oils to the henna mixture. Don't do that with the indigo. Indigo is just too fussy and unpredictable at times that I would not recommend any oil touching it. Mix everything you want to add to your henna mixture and then mix the indigo seperately. For your one step put it altogether, that is fine with all of the ingredients. For the two-step well just do that seperately as usual.

USE OIL afterwards!! Always. Or a leave in conditioner cream. We always use those.

I remember one time my mother in law kept saying she wasn't getting any color from the henna and she didn't understand why. She said she did it a second time and still couldn't understand. Meanwhile, she is mostly talking to my hubby, her son, all about this and not with me. She isnt angry or anything just wondering what she might be doing wrong.
So when I finally get a chance to speak with her, I ask her about what she's doing etc...and then I say "Well what does the label on the package say?" She starts with Henna Sooq...etc as the info says then reads out : Cassia Obovata.
I tried not to laugh, not at her but just with her, and explained that was the "neutral henna" she kept using. She was like OH. It was just cute! Because I sure did start to get worried.

Sareca, I can really see a lot of hair growth! WOW! It is really something else. Beautiful!

MsCocoFace, I PMed you and thank you for the compliments. Welcome anytime!
He really said he better not test positive for drugs...lol ! YEs so for the scent I agree perhaps try the coffee but be aware of the dryness issue. Otherwise essential oils or a nice scented oil will do the trick too. My hubby usually likes sweet orange oil, or lavender. I don't put any in mine because I don't mind the smell.

Have a good weekend people!

SweetnLow, Absolutely do add the oils but add the oils to the henna mixture. Don't do that with the indigo. Indigo is just too fussy and unpredictable at times that I would not recommend any oil touching it. Mix everything you want to add to your henna mixture and then mix the indigo seperately. For your one step put it altogether, that is fine with all of the ingredients. For the two-step well just do that seperately as usual.

USE OIL afterwards!! Always. Or a leave in conditioner cream. We always use those.

I remember one time my mother in law kept saying she wasn't getting any color from the henna and she didn't understand why. She said she did it a second time and still couldn't understand. Meanwhile, she is mostly talking to my hubby, her son, all about this and not with me. She isnt angry or anything just wondering what she might be doing wrong.
So when I finally get a chance to speak with her, I ask her about what she's doing etc...and then I say "Well what does the label on the package say?" She starts with Henna Sooq...etc as the info says then reads out : Cassia Obovata.
I tried not to laugh, not at her but just with her, and explained that was the "neutral henna" she kept using. She was like OH. It was just cute! Because I sure did start to get worried.

Sareca, I can really see a lot of hair growth! WOW! It is really something else. Beautiful!

MsCocoFace, I PMed you and thank you for the compliments. Welcome anytime!
He really said he better not test positive for drugs...lol ! YEs so for the scent I agree perhaps try the coffee but be aware of the dryness issue. Otherwise essential oils or a nice scented oil will do the trick too. My hubby usually likes sweet orange oil, or lavender. I don't put any in mine because I don't mind the smell.

Have a good weekend people!

@ hennasooq--Thanks, seems like it stayed the same length forever. :ohwell:

@ cocoface-- Cosigning, be careful with the coffee and you gotta try jojoba oil for your post-henna oil rinse. :shocked:

@ sweetnlow--you too, sweet. try a jojoba oil rinse post henna.

I did the Palm Oil Butter this time.

I was thinking of using the Camellia oil which I have a very large amount of also it is very similar to jajoba oil.

Thanks again to both you Sacera and Khadija. Will be stocking up on the henna, Indigo and Amla since I am running low.

Oh, I guess I will be looking at my fragrant oils to see which one will mix well with the henna. Don't want anyone thinking they are going to be testing positive for drugs around here. :grin: If I can't find one around here then I have a wonderful medium roast coffee from Kenya that should do the trick. I will just make an additional cup when I set up the automatic timer that morning. :lachen:

i just took out my two-strand twists. I did a henna treatment afterwards and added 2.5 tablespoons of shikakai powder to my mix. I can't wait to see if it made a difference. My hair is super thick and i don't know what i will be doing to it next. I have to see how my money goes.

I just got caught up. I didn't realize that it had been so long since I posted in one of my favorite threads of all time. :nono:

I'm still using henna on my hair. The store did finally get the Jamila Henna that I requested. I used that a couple of times and like it, but not as much as my beloved Dulhan Henna. :love: I'm trying Karishma Herbal Henna (link below) at this very moment. There were little twigs in the powder, :ohwell: but the mix that I made was smooth. I hope that my hair turns out okay.

http://www.jeetherbals.com/pr1.html

Last edited:
I just henna'd lastnight. I missed it terribly while my hair was kinky twists (8 months).

Good luck with your new henna brand Metiza.

I have been hennaing for quite some time...about 8 months. I was thinking of doing a dominican Cellophane-Color showers, which is 100 % natural and no peroxide and no ammonia. I was thinking coffee bean or a clear color would do. It's a semi-permanent color made with natural proteins and Virgin Olive Oil. Would this be damaging to my hair since I Henna every other week?

In addition, I have noticed that I have alot of hair splits (hair splitting along the hair strand), but the strand doesn't snap off and I am not having anymore breakage. These hairs that have the hair splits do not easily breakoff. Is the henna making my hair that strong?

I have been hennaing for quite some time...about 8 months. I was thinking of doing a dominican Cellophane-Color showers, which is 100 % natural and no peroxide and no ammonia. I was thinking coffee bean or a clear color would do. It's a semi-permanent color made with natural proteins and Virgin Olive Oil. Would this be damaging to my hair since I Henna every other week?

In addition, I have noticed that I have alot of hair splits (hair splitting along the hair strand), but the strand doesn't snap off and I am not having anymore breakage. These hairs that have the hair splits do not easily breakoff. Is the henna making my hair that strong?

I don't usually advocate using synthetic dye after henna, but as long as you used 100% (body art quality) henna you can. I'd strand test anyway. :yep:

Henna may very well be making it that strong, but you probably should snip those split off whenever you find one. They will eventually make your hair more prone to tangles.

I just henna'd lastnight. I missed it terribly while my hair was kinky twists (8 months).

Good luck with your new henna brand Metiza.

I'm sure that you did miss using henna. It works wonders for the hair, IMO. :grin:

Thanks, Sareca! :wink2: It's and herbal mixture. The ingredients are: pure Henna, Amla, Aritha, Shikakai, Bhringraj and other selected herbs.

I don't usually advocate using synthetic dye after henna, but as long as you used 100% (body art quality) henna you can. I'd strand test anyway. :yep:

Henna may very well be making it that strong, but you probably should snip those split off whenever you find one. They will eventually make your hair more prone to tangles.

Meli, ITA w/ Sareca!

I've never used cellophane hair color. Have you considered trying to achieve the same results that you desire by using herbal powders or ingredients?

If your hair is breaking or starting to split I would recommend splitting the weeks further apart each time you do a henna treatment because your hair might need more of a break. If every 2 weeks is too much try every 3 or every month. Every month is a good balance and you can cover your roots in between. It depends if you have grey or not.

I hope this helps :) have a good weekend everyone

Khadija

If your hair is breaking or starting to split I would recommend splitting the weeks further apart each time you do a henna treatment because your hair might need more of a break. If every 2 weeks is too much try every 3 or every month. Every month is a good balance and you can cover your roots in between. It depends if you have grey or not.

I hope this helps :) have a good weekend everyone

Khadija

You have a good weekend, too!

That's good to know b/c I've been using henna since 01/2006 and on average I henna once per month. Today makes number 22 and it's been the most amazing thing for my hair. :love: I have been contemplating doing it more often, but maybe I'll continue at this frequency.

Last edited:
You have a good weekend, too!

That's good to know b/c I've been using henna since 01/2006 and on average I henna once per month. Today makes number 22 and it's been the most amazing thing for my hair. :love: I have been contemplating doing it more often, but maybe I'll continue at this frequency.

If it ain't broke... :nono: I do it 1X/week, but I'll reduce it to once/mo next year. I need 4 months at 1X/week because I've only done about 4 treatments between Dec 06 and Aug 07 :eek:

I've been thinking about adding a little lemonade koolaid to my mix. I want more yellow/golden tones. I used to dye my hair w/ koolaid when I was little so I know it will. I tried paprika and tumeric in my henna mix before, but I'm looking for something a little more dramatic. What'd you guys think?

If it ain't broke... :nono: I do it 1X/week, but I'll reduce it to once/mo next year. I need 4 months at 1X/week because I've only done about 4 treatments between Dec 06 and Aug 07 :eek:

I've been thinking about adding a little lemonade koolaid to my mix. I want more yellow/golden tones. I used to dye my hair w/ koolaid when I was little so I know it will. I tried paprika and tumeric in my henna mix before, but I'm looking for something a little more dramatic. What'd you guys think?

Hmm.. I never would've thought to try that :lol:
Just be sure to strand test first, which I know you will. I just don't want you looking like :afro2:

I've been thinking about adding a little lemonade koolaid to my mix. I want more yellow/golden tones. I used to dye my hair w/ koolaid when I was little so I know it will. I tried paprika and tumeric in my henna mix before, but I'm looking for something a little more dramatic. What'd you guys think?[/quote]

:orders::weird::weird:GO for it SARECA!

If it comes out gorgeous like the rest of your henna's, folks going to be tripping all over themselves trying to do the same thing! :yep:

You're right! It ain't broke, so I don't need to fix it. :lol:

Although, you've only done four w/in that time frame, you're hair still looks beautiful. So, that must be working for you.

The lemonade koolaid should be very pretty. I remember some girls who went to high school w/ me having their hair blue, purple and reddish burgundy. They said that they used koolaid to color it.

Will do. :yep: I'm detangling today so I'll have plenty of hair to test with. :eek:

I had another thought. Maybe I should just do a koolaid rinse between henna treatments instead of adding it to henna mix.

??

Okay you guys are dropping some serious knowledge here about the koolaid, I had never heard of this or seen it while in high school.

I just found out about the Indigo gloss (using indigo and conditioner for touch ups to keep the color fresh and stretching your indigo product) and Hindigo gloss (henna dye released and then added indigo) last night. Please let us know how it goes.

Here is what I learned. And of course, this is probably already mentioned somewhere in the 30 eleven thousand pages of this thread! :lachen:

"For example, I find indigo glosses (indigo mixed straight with conditioner) are great on me, and the colour sticks around - very helpful if it fades on your roots at an alarming rate - I just stick the mix on the roots, and leave it for about 15 min (any longer and my hair will go JET black). I use about 3 tsp indigo to oh, maybe about 3 tbsp (is that the abbreviation for table spoon???!! that's what I meant) of condish.

A henndigo gloss also works well to....dye released henna, then indigo added when ready, and condish - sometimes this is all I do to touch up the colour, it can even work as a root treatment to keep the cost down!"

This came from another hair board I have been reviewing.

I never thought of glossing w/ indigo. To be honest, I still haven't tried henna glossing. But my test strands are soaking in lemon koolaid right now. I'll leave them for 30 minutes. If there's no color change I'll put them back for another 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back