Difference b/w Shoulder length & Full shoulder length

But you know what - I think that just proves that sometimes we get too caught up on length as a measure of progress. I used to get so discouraged trying to keep up. Now I just "work with what I got" (taken from Amina's avatar :grin:)

You are very right. Many of us have had years of hair abuse. It is unrealistic to think that one protein treatment will just fix it. I love seeing all the ladies here work towards their goals length or otherwise. Some people are able to grow out the damage as they gain length without problems. Well, that ain't me. Regardless of how much length I have gained then cut and gained again, I have still come LEAPS AND BOUNDS from what I started with. I also have been constantly learning something new everyday. I never gave a thought to relaxer run off until now that I have learned that it might be a cause to some of my issues now. This is just going to be a race I gotta run at my own pace.

You are very right. Many of us have had years of hair abuse. It is unrealistic to think that one protein treatment will just fix it. I love seeing all the ladies here work towards their goals length or otherwise. Some people are able to grow out the damage as they gain length without problems. Well, that ain't me. Regardless of how much length I have gained then cut and gained again, I have still come LEAPS AND BOUNDS from what I started with. I also have been constantly learning something new everyday. I never gave a thought to relaxer run off until now that I have learned that it might be a cause to some of my issues now. This is just going to be a race I gotta run at my own pace.

I'm glad you said this!! I definitely need to remind myself of this everyday!!

ETA: HoneyDew, thanks for the pics...they help alot!

Great post

But you know what, those pictures of shoulderlength look like hair that was once longer, then it got cut to shoulderlength

I've never really seen anyone with all the layers and every single part of their hair touching shoulderlength at once that was just growing their hair

Alot of times the longest layer is shoulder, then one is alittle shorter that reaches neck, and sometimes one layer that is chin length or something--(kind of framing the face)-so i dont really fault anyone for saying they are shoulderlength when the majority of their hair reaches shoulderlength---because if not, people would have to grow their hair for a year or so after they claimed shoulderlength, just for it to all even out and be "full"

Thanks for posting HoneyDew. i'm not even going to lie, I started claiming shoulder length as soon as i could feel that first strand of hair touch my back:lachen:. But I will say that I also deferntiate between what I call shoulder length and FULL shoulder length which I don't think I will be able to achieve till next year:ohwell:. Oh well its not only about length, its about health.:grin:

Great post

But you know what, those pictures of shoulderlength look like hair that was once longer, then it got cut to shoulderlength

I've never really seen anyone with all the layers and every single part of their hair touching shoulderlength at once that was just growing their hair

Alot of times the longest layer is shoulder, then one is alittle shorter that reaches neck, and sometimes one layer that is chin length or something--(kind of framing the face)-so i dont really fault anyone for saying they are shoulderlength when the majority of their hair reaches shoulderlength---because if not, people would have to grow their hair for a year or so after they claimed shoulderlength, just for it to all even out and be "full"

I claim full shoulder length without layers. The sides of my hair actually grow faster than the back, so it is possible to just grow your hair out that way. My shortest layer (aside from slight bangs) is shoulder length and the back is mid-way between top of shoulders and arm-pit.

I never considered myself full shoulder length since my hair is in layers, but now I dont even know if Im shoulder length. I considered myself SL when my sides touched my shoulders, but according to some of the pictures it looks like im not...

Great post

Ditto! I have layers framing my face from my cut. I will not be waiting for ALL of my sides to reach my shoulder in order to claim SL. (I want to grow the back layers out though)I don't want my hair all one length in the front. That does not fit my face shape.

I won't be the one to be at NL claiming SL though. Besides, I see the back of peoples head anyway. For all I know the sides could be ate out but if it is SL or APL in the back then they are. :look:

I guess I typed all that to say I will be claiming SL when I get there but it will not FULL SL before I do.

I will ask first because I want to be sure and don't want to seem like I am in denial about it. :nono::look:

I did a search on "shoulder" length and found this thread. I wanted to try and quantify when i could reach shoulder length. but realized i don't really know what is considered shoulder.

in my search i see people have vastly different veiw points on what is shoulder. seems like some think if you have any strands that are right below the neck, then that is shoulder. and others feel like all or a majority of your hair needs to be actually on your shoulders. basically, it seems like its a personal preference sort of thing. But i did find this thread pretty helpful

With all my gazillion layers, i am more focused on the back half bc the top/sides will probably stay fairly short for a while. Sooo... to judge if i'm SL i decided to part my hair in a high part, and ALL the hair below that point has to be at my shoulders before I claim it.

I got a LONG to go unfortunately...

http://public.fotki.com/Imani/randomly-felt-like-/picture012.html

With the pics in my siggy, do I look like shoulder length or full shoulder length. My hair is pretty much the same length now all the way around after my trim.

Thanks.

Imani, your hair is pretty! You'll be at shoulder-length in a minute :). Nice & Wavy, your hair is definitely full shoulder-length, it's really lovely.

Imani, your hair is pretty! You'll be at shoulder-length in a minute :). Nice & Wavy, your hair is definitely full shoulder-length, it's really lovely.

Thank you so much, hopeful. Ya'll are making me feel better tonite. And I agree, Imani's hair is very pretty!

ETA: BTW, your hair is very thick and pretty too. When was your one year natural anniversary? I can't believe how much my hair grew in one year and I look so forward till next year to see how much I gain in growth!

ETA: BTW, your hair is very thick and pretty too. When was your one year natural anniversary? I can't believe how much my hair grew in one year and I look so forward till next year to see how much I gain in growth!

Thanks! I was one year on 3/21/07, so in a little more than 5 months I will be 2 years natural.

Thanks! Think it'll be more than "a minute" though. :look:

btw, love the thickness of your hair!

Back