Deep Conditioning--Which is better?

princessdi

Deep conditioning with a hooded dryer and baggie or deep conditioning overnight with a baggie. I'm just wondering because I used to use the dryer all the time, but the last couple of months have been pretty busy for me, and I'm wondering if my hair is suffering from not getting the dryer heat.

Thanks.

I've heard that deep conditioning w/ heat is better b/c it opens the cuticles & allows the conditioner to absorb better. I DC for 15 mins. under my heating cap b/c DCing overnight is too much for my fine strands.

Deep conditioning with a hooded dryer is way better.

As part of my 2010 hair care regimen I plan to use my hooded dryer every time I DC. Right now my hooded dryer gets no love from me. I've used it maybe six times this year. I feel like it's a torture chamber.

BTW, I use my Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing Treatment under the hooded dryer for the first time this past Wednesday and there a hugh difference in results. My hair has never felt this soft and moisturized after deep condition ever and I deep condition every freaking week.

Whenever I deep condition overnight using Keracare Humecto and a shower cap...it works wonders for my hair. Noticeably softer and easier to detangle and easier to style.

When I deep condition for 15 minutes under a hooded dryer, I HOPE it's really working, not sure cause my results are not spectacular.

When I deep condition for 20 minutes under my heat cap (which I haven't seen in a year since I bought my hooded dryer...) I wonder if it worked at all. But people swear by it.

I'm lazy and don't care to sit under the dryer. I usually DC overnight. My hair always feels great the next day.

as darling diva said.
overnight your body heat would activate the conditioning but you only need to deep condition for 25 minutes to provide nutrients for the hair.

snippet from Dr. Ali Syed's blog on deep conditioning:

TIME

As the time of contact between hair and the conditioner increases, the degree of conditioner penetration into the cortex increases. As Figure 2 illustrates, the conditioning action continues to be productive up to 25-30 minutes. After that time, absorption reaches its maximum. It is safe, therefor, to conclude that conditioners should be left on the hair, with a plastic cap, for 25-30 minutes. The use of a hood dryer will enhance the conditioning effect.

http://www.dralisyed.com/cond1.pdf

As part of my 2010 hair care regimen I plan to use my hooded dryer every time I DC. Right now my hooded dryer gets no love from me. I've used it maybe six times this year. I feel like it's a torture chamber.

BTW, I use my Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Moisturizing Treatment under the hooded dryer for the first time this past Wednesday and there a hugh difference in results. My hair has never felt this soft and moisturized after deep condition ever and I deep condition every freaking week.

THE DAY I found this is THE DAY MY HAIR LICKED MY FACE, I LOVE it I have 3 tubs of it and it isn't enough!

Oh yes and I go under the dryer as well 30 minutes..

JUST a bug to put in ones ear. They have self warming caps that warm up with your body heat, I get under the dryer for 15 minutes then put the cap on, but it actually works well with your own body heat!

Thanks for the product review. I usually use the regular megasilk treatment and was wondering if I should try out the olive moisturizing treatment. I'll give it a try.

I think heat works much better for me. I just bought hydracaps from sally's ($3.99 for 4). It's a plastic cap that you put on, then heat with your blow dryer for about a minute. As you blow the hot air on it, it shrinks to fit your head snugly and trap the heat in. So u can go on about your business while DCing. I just tried it for the first time a couple nights ago using Silk Elements Cholesterol mixed with coconut oil, and my hair was so moist and delicious! :lick:

I think heat works much better for me. I just bought hydracaps from sally's ($3.99 for 4). It's a plastic cap that you put on, then heat with your blow dryer for about a minute. As you blow the hot air on it, it shrinks to fit your head snugly and trap the heat in. So u can go on about your business while DCing. I just tried it for the first time a couple nights ago using Silk Elements Cholesterol mixed with coconut oil, and my hair was so moist and delicious! :lick:

Thanks for this review. I've been wanting to try those when I don't feel like sitting under the dryer. Too bad I'm on a no buy challenge for December, but I'll add that to my want list.

Back on topic...for me, no heat doesn't seem to soften my hair like heat DC'ing. I usually DC for an hour with heat so that's probably overkill, but I like sitting there relaxing:yep:

I prefer to use heat. DCing overnight is just not as easy/time efficient for me. I've DCed for a full day without heat and got hte same results as I did DCing with heat for two 20 minute sessions.

I would say with heat...I notice such a huge difference deep conditioning 20 minutes with heat then deep conditioning hours/overnight without heat.

Deep conditioning with heat wins out hands down for me. First, it is way more efficient I get the same or better conditioning effect in 20-30 minutes as I would in 1-2 hours with no heat. Second, overnight conditioning (and styles where I leave my hair wet for long period of time in general) tends to over-condition my hair, which put my hair at risk for tangles and matting.

Thanks for all of your responses. I think I will make time for deep conditioning under a dryer. I was able to do this yesterday, and my hair does feel really, really, soft and moisturized today.:yep:

Back