Dangers of Chemical Relaxers

drmuffin

This thread...this thread kinda leaves me with...a headache. I just think, ya know, that although we are free to post whatever, we really need to think before we post. This topic truly has been beaten to death, it does seem like a scare tactic (and insensitive) towards relaxed heads. It's insensitive because it's already been talked about and yet the topic keeps resurfacing. Also, it may be just me, but I get the feeling of condescending superiority from the OP merely from the way she responded to the first couple of responses on this thread. But that's just me.

Aggie

@Guitarhero - I appreciate your views and though I do not agree with all of them you have taken the time to express them.

We both agree that it’s about choice. There are extreme examples on both sides. Within your post you reveal your real issue which is with “natural hair Nazis” but not every observation that highlights the downside of relaxers is an attempt to convert. I will not resile from my “charge” for self acceptance. It is too important an issue to dumb down. Granted the post was originally directed at my fellow naturals who sometimes find it difficult to be confident in a world unaccepting of kinky curly hair but I now accept that some ladies with a relaxer may find that a bit uneasy and that it should have been tailored. It was subsequently amended on the request of one of the ladies here. However, encouraging one to accept yourself just as you are is not inflammatory and most certainly not comparable to being described as a Nazi or a troll. Sure there are some people who relax their hair simply because it’s a style choice but there are many others who do so because they do not think their natural texture is attractive. This is passed through generations of children who have deep seated self esteem issues. That aside, the post was intended to invite debate about why research about chemical relaxers was so wanting. Indeed a question was asked to which few answered. Sure, the article itself did not conclude that preterm birth etc was a consequence but it did point to resources that suggest the damaging effects. The article also recognised that there was simply not enough research and that such research was warranted. This was in 1999, and only recently was there a small book published called the Science of Black Hair by a wonderful lady trying to make her mark and give back. Then there was this incidence of the hair glue and black women suffering from hair loss and baldness, unable to reach length goals and becoming despondent and defeated. I personally think we deserve more. Someone said there are other things to worry about like heart disease and obesity but why should we have to choose? On a forum like this which is read by many but commented on by few I think it’s important that the message we send is a positive one.

Since we're all here to help each other, do you mind separating your posts into a few paragraphs....please? This is very cumbersome for me to read, you know being a little older and all that:spinning::lol::drunk:.

Sorry, just saying....

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!

almond eyes

I used to be very extreme about using hair relaxers. I was like relaxers are the devil and every black woman needs to know. I was never strongly vocal. Today, I am wearing a relaxer after being natural for about six years. I don't consider myself a hyprocrite but I was really into the whole organic, natural, healthy living and sometimes one can get a little obsessed. I was even getting an obsession over the whole paraben issue in lotions six years ago and sent out newsletters to all my cousins (God bless their hearts for tolerating me).

I think relaxers are fine if used in moderation. Unless you are using a relaxer every day on your head, there is no evidence that relaxers are more dangerous than other more dangerous vices like smoking etc. Like bleach cream, yes if you use it to spot treat your skin the amount you use to spot treat your skin isn't going to kill you but if you obviously apply it in large amounts to your skin and use it everyday in those large amounts and coupled with the sun you will have a cancerous situation coming up.

That coke can demonstration with the relaxer that was done in the movie Good Hair, obviously a coke can is a metal and that would react with the chemicals.

Ancient kingdoms in Africa used lye and hot forks to straighten their hair. Women do all sorts of things for beauty. Knowledge though is power so we can learn how to use products correctly. My African mother when I was 12 took me to the hair salon for a relaxer and asked for a six month relaxer. The hair dresser was like, Ma'me relaxers have to be touched up. My mother didn't understand what a touch up meant. So when I got it done, it looked good for one month and Mum was like okay get me those scissors I prefer your hair in an afro state so I can braid it.

Peace,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

I was even into at one point six years ago the dangers of commercial lotions. I doused myself with natural shea butter and aggravated my acne and gave my best friend a headache from the smell. I was so stubborn that despite the acne, I was still like well its au natural.

Yes, I admit that there was a time I did take it too far the whole I am natural, clean living, yoga om thing. I am more relaxed about life, it isn't that serious.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Guitarhero

Guitarhero - I appreciate your views and though I do not agree with all of them you have taken the time to express them.

We both agree that it’s about choice. There are extreme examples on both sides. Within your post you reveal your real issue which is with “natural hair Nazis” but not every observation that highlights the downside of relaxers is an attempt to convert. I will not resile from my “charge” for self acceptance. It is too important an issue to dumb down. Granted the post was originally directed at my fellow naturals who sometimes find it difficult to be confident in a world unaccepting of kinky curly hair but I now accept that some ladies with a relaxer may find that a bit uneasy and that it should have been tailored. It was subsequently amended on the request of one of the ladies here. However, encouraging one to accept yourself just as you are is not inflammatory and most certainly not comparable to being described as a Nazi or a troll. .

"Hair nazi" cannot be separated out semantically into "Nazi"....they are different and you know it. :grin: Think, "soup nazi" or "MAC or MUFE nazi." Maybe you should rethink what a "hair nazi" is, truly? Giving general information or conducting inquiry differs from instruction on the matter. People don't necessarily have self-esteem issues if they do or don't conform to accepted social/health/beauty practices. You simply do not realize how you appear to others and there is condescension...such that, you continually bring up the self-esteem/"as you are" mantra. Consider that a little more deeply. Would you just get up out of bed, not wash, teeth brushed, no makeup, no hair combing, perfume and just go to work like that? See, we all know there is a push for straight hair...but that also hits white women. WE all know there is a push for certain hair colors...hits all women. Certain made-up looks... This is a chemical society. Raw foodists can also scream their sides to others without realizing that there are older nutritional systems in place that include cooked foods that are even healthier for a majority of individuals over longer-term. I mean, no one here is against info...just the ones minus fact. And every time someone mentions something about self-esteem, it becomes the distancing factor. To enlighten or charge falsely? Fact is, you don't know who is where at any given time, even with those posting in this thread. :yep:

Last edited:

CottonandCurls

almond eyes – I think what you are saying is that it is all about balance and I absolutely agree.

Guitarhero - “hair” is the (possibly quasi) pre-modifier in the expression “hair-nazi”, nazi is the main descriptor. I find it offensive. The fact that it is used in other contexts does not make it less so. There is a world of a difference between not brushing one’s teeth and using a relaxer. “Fact is you don't know who is where at any given time, even with those posting in this thread.” I agree, neither of us do. What we do know is that this forum (and many others) is bursting with people declaring a whole host of hair disasters including as it relates to relaxers. There are people here with varying degrees of self esteem issues because their hair is not long enough, thick enough, shiny enough, curly enough, is breaking, is shedding, is brittle, is dry, is hard. Many of us, me included, have had moments where confidence is lowered because you look nothing like what society lauds as beautiful. Feeling that way is ok.

Many visit a forum like this, pay their yearly subscription, and post pictures. LHCF members will either remind you of how wonderful your hair (or face is) or suggest techniques for remedying a problem, you feel encourage and a little better about yourself. If a reminder of how wonderful we all are is difficult to hear or if my “charge” is viewed with skepticism then the problem is not with me.

What I find mind boggling about all this is that the point is lost because we are distracted by what is perceived as an assault on the chemical relaxer. But why shouldn’t we be asking the developers of the relaxer to create a safer process and why shouldn’t we discuss it? One commentator said this is for the black owned businesses but fact is the owners of the major relaxed hair care brands are not black owed. The consumer has remarkable power to initiate change.

drmuffin – why is talking about the dangers of a relaxer insensitive? Would I be insensitive if I talked about the dangers of excessive sun exposure or braiding your hair too tightly? Another common theme running through the responses is that we know this already, why remind us? But why not? There are more people that view the forum and are unable to respond, than there are actual members. They are perhaps less knowledgeable. One can never talk too much about the dangers of anything. By highlighting the risks and as I subsequently did, the ways to minimize them, you arm other women who are perhaps not as knowing with the tools to have beautiful hair whatever we perceive that to be.

Many thanks to all those who have responded to such an important issue.

LovelyNaps26

i feel like people on this forum know what they're doing. i was relaxed for almost a decade and i don't think someone telling me relaxers were a milder form of Drano would have changed my desire to relax. real talk. i didn't go natural out of fear.

also i don't think people recognize the 'dangers' or relaxers until it affects them personally. if your hair gets 'snatched up' then yeah, relaxers are dangerous to you. if you have an autoimmune reaction to relaxers (which some women do) then relaxers are dangerous to you. if you suffer no ill effects and your hair is bouncin' and behavin' then you won't internalize the 'dangers'.

Relaxing is one of the many 'eyes wide shut' practices we do in our lives. we know there may be dangers and we take precautions that we think will help us avoid said dangers.

Spring

I really think black owned businesses as well as the hair care industry would be the best place to solicit funds for such research.... maybe those who are very concerned about those percentages can head up the formidable task of getting a large enough sample group to test for many years and factor out other environmental variables etc etc etc. Just some ideas.

What I find mind boggling about all this is that the point is lost because we are distracted by what is perceived as an assault on the chemical relaxer. But why shouldn’t we be asking the developers of the relaxer to create a safer process and why shouldn’t we discuss it? One commentator said this is for the black owned businesses but fact is the owners of the major relaxed hair care brands are not black owed. The consumer has remarkable power to initiate change.

CottonandCurls, I didn't say "this is for the black owned businesses" nor did I imply "the major relaxed hair care brands are black owned".

I suggested that for those concerned (that would include you) about having MORE conclusive research, take up the formidable task yourselves and to solicit black owned business as well as the hair care industry for possible funds. No one is stopping you from asking developers of relaxers for a safer product.... no one is stopping you from initiating the change you want to see.

Last edited:

Aggie

@almond eyes – I think what you are saying is that it is all about balance and I absolutely agree.

@Guitarhero - “hair” is the (possibly quasi) pre-modifier in the expression “hair-nazi”, nazi is the main descriptor. I find it offensive. The fact that it is used in other contexts does not make it less so. There is a world of a difference between not brushing one’s teeth and using a relaxer. “Fact is you don't know who is where at any given time, even with those posting in this thread.” I agree, neither of us do. What we do know is that this forum (and many others) is bursting with people declaring a whole host of hair disasters including as it relates to relaxers. There are people here with varying degrees of self esteem issues because their hair is not long enough, thick enough, shiny enough, curly enough, is breaking, is shedding, is brittle, is dry, is hard. Many of us, me included, have had moments where confidence is lowered because you look nothing like what society lauds as beautiful. Feeling that way is ok.

Many visit a forum like this, pay their yearly subscription, and post pictures. LHCF members will either remind you of how wonderful your hair (or face is) or suggest techniques for remedying a problem, you feel encourage and a little better about yourself. If a reminder of how wonderful we all are is difficult to hear or if my “charge” is viewed with skepticism then the problem is not with me.

@drmuffin – why is talking about the dangers of a relaxer insensitive? Would I be insensitive if I talked about the dangers of excessive sun exposure or braiding your hair too tightly? Another common theme running through the responses is that we know this already, why remind us? But why not? There are more people that view the forum and are unable to respond, than there are actual members. They are perhaps less knowledgeable. One can never talk too much about the dangers of anything. By highlighting the risks and as I subsequently did, the ways to minimize them, you arm other women who are perhaps not as knowing with the tools to have beautiful hair whatever we perceive that to be.

Many thanks to all those who have responded to such an important issue.

Thank you so much for separating your post into a few paragraphs. This was soooooooo much easier for me to read:yep:.

BostonMaria

CottonandCurls said:
kupenda - I totally accept that but please don't assume that because this is a hair forum everyone knows the dangers of a particular process. Heat damage in the natural hair world is a good example. It is exactly for that reason why we have a hair forum to learn, change, evolve, stop bad practices and develop good ones. I join this forum to be informed not because I was informed. Sure, I had some knowledge before I joined and became more informed in the process but the experiences of those on here are as varied at the texture of our hair.

I relaxed my hair when I was pregnant and it never even occurred to me "hey this might be bad for my baby" It was just something I did every 4 months. The government would never allow a product that harms people to be sold in stores, right? That's what I thought.

I'm natural. I relaxed for 26 years of my life and never questioned it. I think it's ok for people to post the possible side effects of relaxers. I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe the knowledge will eventually force companies to create a less harmful relaxer.

Just my dos centavos before this thread gets the clank clank

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF