Dangers of Chemical Relaxers

CottonandCurls

Is there a lack of research about the dangers of relaxers, hair glue etc

What occurred to me is that there appears to be very little research into the dangers of chemical relaxers. The cynic in me would say that it’s probably because black hair care is a billion dollar industry and money talks, walks and rules. But there is a booming industry in natural hair care so in reality there is a commercial case for safe hair care practices. There was a recent news report of a woman who died from overexposure to the glue in weaves but again that event does not appear to have been widely publicised. (see report here http://m.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/allwoman/Unbeweavable----Hair-glue-said-to-cause-death-of-Jamaican-woman_10741681 )

On the other end of the spectrum we have the Brazilian Keratin treatment which was quickly classed as dangerous and in quick succession a formaldehyde free formula was created and is being used. Do you think the lack of interest is because each process appeals to a different demographic? I would hate to think that it is something as nefarious as that but one has to wonder. Have any one of you who have had a relaxer felt that it was doing physical harm to your, body aside from the usual burns?

Last edited:

Raspberry

Hmm.. it would be nice if the full journal article could be posted because the OP's post is misleading.

The abstract below states that there is actually no documented correlation between chemical relaxers/straighteners/curlers and premature or low birth rates:

========================================================

Chemical Hair Treatments and Adverse Pregnancy Outcome among Black Women in Central North Carolina

Abstract

Several studies suggest that toxic chemicals in hair products may be absorbed through the scalp in sufficient amounts to increase the risks of adverse health effects in women or their infants. This case-control study of 525 Black women from three counties in North Carolina who had delivered a singleton, liveborn infant examined whether exposure to chemicals used in hair straightening and curling increased the odds that the infant was preterm or low birth weight. Cases consisted of 188 preterm and 156 low birth weight births (for 123 women, their infant was both low birth weight and preterm). Controls were 304 women who delivered term and normal birth weight infants. Women who used a chemical hair straightener at any time during pregnancy or within 3 months prior to conception had an adjusted odds ratios (OR) of 0.7 (95% confidence interval (Cl) 0.4−1.1) for preterm birth and 0.6 (95% Cl 0.4−1.1) for low birth weight. Exposure to chemical curl products was also not associated with preterm delivery (adjusted OR = 0.9, 95% Cl 0.5−1.8) or low birth weight (adjusted OR = 1.0, 95% Cl 0.5−1.9). Despite this failure to find an association, continued search for risk factors to which Black women are uniquely exposed is warranted. Am J Epidemiol 1999; 149: 712−16.

========================================================

Someone else with more statistical knowledge can interpret the results better than I but the conclusion is clearly stated.

CottonandCurls

SuchaLady - choice is a wonderful thing, this is the free world. We can fry, dye, blowdry our hair with formaldehyde to our hearts content. However, since this forum is about all things hair related then it is certainly useful to start a discussion on possible risks of using certain hair products. For the avoidance of doubt I do not think it is discussed enough but of course respect your right not to discuss the topic yourself.

Raspberry - So all is good with the world because the study doesn't prove that it may affect pregnancy? While your shrewd analysis of the article is much appreciated. I think you missed the point which is highlighted by the extract itself which is that while it was recognised that "continued search for risk factors to which Black women are uniquely exposed is "warranted", not much has been done to take up that challenge. The long term damage is simply not known.

Both, this topic will die its natural death if it is uninspiring but in the same way that we haste to post pics of WLH and threads about magic products that will make you hair grow 2 inches in 1 months, I think it is equally important that the issue of the dangers of relaxers and hair glues are posted on this forum. If this makes one member think twice before they abuse these processes then my job would be done.

Ladies, just be careful with the hair care method you use.

ChasingBliss

@SuchaLady - choice is a wonderful thing, this is the free world. We can fry, dye, blowdry our hair with formaldehyde to our hearts content. However, since this forum is about all things hair related then it is certainly useful to start a discussion on possible risks of using certain hair products. For the avoidance of doubt I do not think it is discussed enough but of course respect your right not to discuss the topic yourself.

@Raspberry - So all is good with the world because the study doesn't prove that it may affect pregnancy? While your shrewd analysis of the article is much appreciated. I think you missed the point which is highlighted by the extract itself which is that while it was recognised that "continued search for risk factors to which Black women are uniquely exposed is "warranted", not much has been done to take up that challenge. The long term damage is simply not known.

Both, this topic will die its natural death if it is uninspiring but in the same way that we haste to post pics of WLH and threads about magic products that will make you hair grow 2 inches in 1 months, I think it is equally important that the issue of the dangers of relaxers and hair glues are posted on this forum. If this makes one member think twice before they abuse these processes then my job would be done.

Ladies, just be careful with the hair care method you use.

Well said... and thanks for the op.

Taishan

I posted this commentary on my facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cotton-and-Curls-a-Natural-Hair-Journey/191472587590680) and thought I'd share it with you. I think it is an important topic that isn't discussed enough.

The article goes on to state that some of the effects of a chemical relaxer are low birth rate and premature delivery.

As at Raspberry stated, this statement is misleading. Basically, the article says it is trying to find a connection between relaxers and these birth issues, but haven't been able to, though they will continue to try. That is a very different thing than what is posted in the commentary.

Now as a relaxed head myself, do I believe relaxers are 100% safe? No I don't, but I don't think misquoting an article such as that should be used to help persuade people to your side. :nono:

Last edited:

JudithO

Ive read several articles on the 'dangers of chemical relaxers' ....

Lets forget that it makes the hair strands weaker..... heat can do that... color, combs etc... now if your hair is not physically strong enough to be relaxed.. then you should just be natural or bald...

In every jar of relaxer... there is
1. The straightening component e.g sodium hydroxide, and the no lye equivalents

2. The other ingredients... eg oils, butters, parabens etc.

For component #2: we have the same problems whether natural or relaxed... shampoos and conditioners can have those same ingredients... so we should read every jar of relaxer for ingredients just like we do our shampoos abd conditioners for their safety.

For component#1:

We all know that the straightening ingredient in relaxers can cause major degree burns to the skin/scalp if used improperly

We know that makes your hair inherently weaker

We know that since its placed directly on your scalp... it can worsen the effects of toxic ingredients also present .. this can be avoided if labels are read and toxic ingredients avoided

What we do NOT know is whether the straightening ingredients have other negative effects other than those listed above. And so far no research that has proved anything.... but there is still more that needs to be researched.

Essentially,
if you choose to be natural: you are saying that you do not know the evil in relaxers and would rather be safe than sorry + you do not want your strands to be weakened by relaxers

If you choose to b relaxed: you are saying, there is no proof that relaxers can kill me and until there is proof, you see nothing wrong with it.. + you can manage the 'weakened' hair properly and still achieve your hair goals.

Last edited:

CottonandCurls

Taishan - Do I prefer natural hair? Yes. Do I think more women should go natural at least once in their lifetime? Yes, its remarkably liberating. Do I love to encourage women of colour to embrace all of themselves including their cottony curly coily kinky wonderful luscious hair? Absolutely. Am I a champion for natural hair? Unapologetically so. But this post wasn't and still is not about converting anyone to a "side". In my eyes we are all on the same side. Women, trying to appreciate and love ourselves, in a world which tells us we should not. I apologise if you felt I was trying to convert anyone. I am merely trying to raise awareness. That's all. As as simple as that. Just be cautious. Enjoy your hair! We are all fabulous (bit of a UN perspective but it is sincerely held).

CottonandCurls

judy4all - Agreed. Its about knowing the risks. This will encourage greater precaution with not just ourselves but with our young daughters. For example, make sure you base your scalp, relax less frequently, do not let your stylist apply to the scalp, leave on for the minimum time possible etc. At the end of the day its about choice and when that choice is informed it is even better.

NicWhite

Knowledge is power and it is nice to be reminded that there are things that we can do to lessen health risks.

The OP mentioned relaxers but there are a countless number of other hair care products that cause problems as well. Check out this website to see how your favorite products measure up. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ I have checked many of my products in this website. It is very eye opening.

Last edited:

Taishan

CottonandCurls Truly I do understand, and in fact admire those who have taken the step to be natural. If I could be natural, I too would be, but I know my hair and what I can handle so I know its not for me. I apologize also if it seems as if I was coming on strong. Too often this topic turns into long arguments splitting the community into two sides, when in reality deep down we all want the same thing...healthy beautiful hair.

mg1979

I just want to add that I think we can talk about this too much because not everyone is informed. Maybe after some time on this board we are, but there was a lot I didn't know about relaxers. I didn't know or was misinformed because my mom didn't know or was misinformed. Ending the cycle of ignorance starts right here with us to pass onto the next generation. Maybe in the end it will lead to more research.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

outspokenwallflower

@CottonandCurls Truly I do understand, and in fact admire those who have taken the step to be natural. If I could be natural, I too would be, but I know my hair and what I can handle so I know its not for me. I apologize also if it seems as if I was coming on strong. Too often this topic turns into long arguments splitting the community into two sides, when in reality deep down we all want the same thing...healthy beautiful hair.

And the bolded is exactly why I cannot PERSONALLY comment on this thread with my opinion, however, I wanted @Taishan to know that I resonate completely with what you stated about your hair choices and I don't think it could've been written better. :yep:

CottonandCurls

outspokenwallflower - and that's completely fine. A divide is inevitable where groups hold extreme positions, as long as we are respectful of each others opinion and remain united on the core issue which is that we are beautiful, strong women, with an unrivalled legacy of perseverance, then that's fine also. As a result of this thread NicWhite has pointed us all to a wonderful site. Its all about being aware and informed, not creating our deeping divisions.

*CherryPie*

Does anyone think about how people with relaxed hair feel when making these kinds of posts? I think we all have heard just about all of this by now. These kinds of articles have been posted before. If we need to read these, all we would have to do is hit the search button. There is nothing wrong with relaxing your hair...unless you have some kind of scalp problem. I've had 2 children while I was relaxing my hair and they are fine.....

CottonandCurls

Cherrypie - You haven't said how you are feeling and I'd be interested to know because this was how you started your response, I am assuming, although I do not know, that based on the tone and content of your response that it may be "judged" or "picked on" or "isolated" but know that throughout this thread the responses have for the most part been helpful and informative. You've chosen to be relaxed. No one is judging your choice but please do not take words of caution for criticism. It really isn't personal. This thread isn't about them against us. Just exercise caution and as one poster said this applies to other things as well. Happy Hair Journey! :)

CottonandCurls

For those interested and in the circumstances I have attached the entire now infamous article. I must warn you that it is a bit heavy going but the reference in the article to "Several studies suggest that toxic chemicals in hair products may be absorbed through the scalp in sufficient amounts to increase the risks of adverse health effects in women or their infants" may be a reference to those studies footnoted at numbers 16-24 of the article but not to the study in the American Journal of Eptdemiotogy itself. Hope this clarifies matters.

Attachments

• Article.pdf
    443.8 KB · Views: 3

EbonyCPrincess

I am not trying to start an argument at all and I can see that the OP was not either. Your reasons for posting said article seem genuine and you appear to sincerely wish to inform, not preach about the power of being natural. Therefore, I am not irritated. However, I do wonder why NATURALS always feel the need to post these types of things? As Taishan stated, although I am relaxed I do know that relaxers are not 100% safe and that they do weaken the hair strand. I've done research on relaxers and have even posted on my blog what chemicals cause the MOST damage. Bleaching is worst, then relaxing, then semi permanent color. I think it can be annoying when the people who feel this inherent, insistent need to "educate" are naturals.

As a relaxed head, I support everyone. I follow natural and transitioner blogs, subscribe to their YT channels, give thanks in the threads, etc. However, I would never post a thread about the dangers of heat damage to natural curls because its not relevant to me. Yes, I read those threads because I happen to be obsessed with all things hair...but why on Earth would I feel it necessary to START the thread? OP, that's why people may have been annoyed with 1) the slanted tone of your original post and 2) the misleading conclusions the post made. As a woman with unrelaxed hair, I'm not sure why that community feels the need to regularly post about the "dangers" of relaxing. Just my 2 cents.

Papoose

The Phoenix
Thanks OP for the post. As far as the study is concerned, I think it's notable that someone even took an interest in Black women at all. As an MPH Epidemiology student, it's frustrating not too see studies geared toward us. That said, I'd like to issue a word of caution for interpreting this article. First, the sample size is a bit small. Second, a case/control study design may not be the best way to study the effects of chemical relaxers.

I think it's important to share different articles related to Black Women's Health. Hopefully we'll have knowledgeable, community-oriented, Black researchers that can conduct studies to impact our well-being.

Being relaxed or natural is a personal choice. Regardless of that choice, it's best to make an informed decision.

CottonandCurls

I respect your views but why should it matter who started the thread, relaxed or natural or none of the above? I appreciate that someone who has natural hair posting something about relaxed hair may be viewed with some skepticism but I actually think that that observation is very worrying to say the least. Also it is flawed on a number of fronts. First, that commentary proceeds on the incorrect premise that that person has no experience of what it means to be relaxed. That’s not true as a point of note I’ve been relaxed more than I’ve been natural so have many others. Second, I have friends and family who are relaxed so I am clearly invested in their well being and health. Third, merely having relaxed or natural hair does not make one an expert on that kind of hair. Granted and I accept the post should have been redrafted to take into account the sensitivities of persons who are relaxed. This post was originally posted on my facebook page which is dedicated to encouraging naturals and those who are transitioning. But the remainder of the post was about why there was a lack of research into the dangers of chemical relaxers when the need for such research was plainly identified. I would have thought that our sister with relaxers would have a vested interest in the research community developing a product that is safer or at the very least getting to the bottom of what the risks are. A better safer product could lead to less damage and the ability to achieve length objectives. Certainly I did not anticipate the depth of the emotional responses, which by the why I find remarkably interesting. Also, what is this reference to “that community” we are all trying to figure out our strands together. The LHCF logo has 4 beautiful girls with a myriad of textures and shades standing next to each other. That stands for unity. It’s fantastic that you have done your research but I am not sure you can assume that everyone has done. Its all about sharing information and I for one would have no difficulty reading any post you may write about relaxed hair or heat damage in natural or relaxed hair.

Raspberry

I mean, discussions about the downsides of chemical relaxing have been happening on various messageboards, blogs, news features, documentaries, and YouTube videos hardcore for the past five years. It just seems like you're acting brand new like you don't understand why some might be tired of having the same conversation.. maybe you're newly natural? I could see if you were bringing some kind of new revelation to the issue but I'm not seeing it. Of course, you have a right to start a convo about whatever you want on this board just like everyone else, just don't be surprised if everyone isn't completely receptive - but I must say relaxed heads on LHCF tend to be very gracious.

I find it odd that some folk go harder on relaxers than any other beauty practice like they are the epitome of all unhealthy habits that are common to Americans or even black women. Honestly, if one was to be super concerned about the health of other black women, it would be best to tell them to cut way back on sugar and get their weight and cholesterol under control, because the biggest threats to the health and well being of black women are diabetes and cardiovascular disease, not relaxers. For example, Coca-Cola is corrosive enough to clean car batteries but millions of Americans ingest it directly into their bodies on a regular basis... but that's a thread for the Health & Fitness forum.

It seems to me that it's really the emotional/racial baggage attached to relaxing that fuels much (not all) of the extreme judgement. There's definitely a place for discussing possible unhealthy side effects of hair products (relaxers, keratin straighteners, preservatives, bleaches, dyes, etc. etc), but it's unrealistic to expect open arms in convos that bring such an air of condemnation to a particular practice.

*CherryPie*

CottonandCurls

I am NATURAL.

But I know how the relaxed ladies feel because I was relaxed. I am only a year natural. But regardless of my being natural, I can understand how someone else would feel about these posts.
Hair is a sensitive subject. Therefore, we need to be sensitive to how other people will feel about these types of threads. Having natural hair don't make us superior. We ALL have natural hair. Some people just CHOSE to relax theirs.

Cherrypie - You haven't said how you are feeling and I'd be interested to know because this was how you started your response, I am assuming, although I do not know, that based on the tone and content of your response that it may be "judged" or "picked on" or "isolated" but know that throughout this thread the responses have for the most part been helpful and informative. You've chosen to be relaxed. No one is judging your choice but please do not take words of caution for criticism. It really isn't personal. This thread isn't about them against us. Just exercise caution and as one poster said this applies to other things as well. Happy Hair Journey! :)

Last edited:

Spring

I think having an informative conversation about the lack of conclusive evidence of any dangers of the effects of chemical relaxers on infants is a better place to start than to come to one"s own conclusions.... your initial statement was perhaps a misunderstanding, but for certain was misleading and doesn't address your desire to know "why" enough research hasn't been done.

The article goes on to state that some of the effects of a chemical relaxer are low birth rate and premature delivery.

One possible reason for the lack of research could be the percentages of "danger to one's health" doesn't pose a great enough threat.

CottonandCurls

Raspberry - I am not sure what you mean by "acting brand new". Of course there are other things damaging to our health, drugs, alcohol, not enough exercise, mental health issues the list is endless but the existence of other damaging things does not mean we cannot discuss something else that's damaging to our health nor does failure to mention these things make me any less "truly concerned". That is illogical. There are countless threads on the harmful effects of taking some vitamins which are said to increase hair growth or rubbing substances like mtg or monistat on one's scalp but the reaction to such posts have not been so intense. Perhaps, you are correct, maybe it is not something one wants to hear, especially if you use a relaxer but my principal message was it needs to be looked into and take precaution. With the number of "views" I am content that it was communicated.