Curly Girl (CG) Challenge

:blush::lachen:i bought the 2nd edition of the book about a month back LOVE IT

I can't bring myself to buy the book idk why. I guess it's bc I find so much info on it online I feel it may be a waste of my money. But I mean that's just ME.

HOWEVER!! I think I'll check it out from my library :)

So I've been doing CG for almost a month now and I'm REALLY loving it!!!

What I've noticed?:

-My hair is plush! :love: it's never dry anymore!

-Less to NO ssk's now! My hair is MUCH easier to detangle.

-I have a lot more sheen to my hair. Even with a twist or braidout. It looks shinier:yep:

For the ladies keeping up....do you feel you still need to DC every week?I'm so used to DCing every week but I'm thinking maybe I can do it every 2 weeks...since my hair sees water and conditioner pretty much everyday. Well at least for now since it's hot.

I am in,

I only use sauve and though mostly everything else I use is homemade i have decided to keep sauve conditioners in my regimin.

I CW about every 4-5-6 days. I make my own pre wash moisture and protein DC. I use my sauve juicy aplple to wash. They discontinued my mango peach so now I just bought the mango citris and will be experimenting with that for my conditioning treatments and leave in. I also purchased the cucumber melon.

I was really impressed with some examples of people useing the conditioners as leave ins. I use to think we had to rinse that out thoroughly. But now I know my hair likes products. I just started this in April so I will stick with this challenge to see results in a year.

I am trying to regain volume from a huge 4 yr shedding and fill in my length. I do not cut or trim and only snip a knot if I have no choice. When I see a split (not to often ) I do cut.

I use oil rinses and home made butter seal recipe. 100% Aloe gel and 100% aloe liguid.

So glad to be here.:yep:

So I've been doing CG for almost a month now and I'm REALLY loving it!!!

What I've noticed?:

-My hair is plush! :love: it's never dry anymore!

-Less to NO ssk's now! My hair is MUCH easier to detangle.

-I have a lot more sheen to my hair. Even with a twist or braidout. It looks shinier:yep:

For the ladies keeping up....do you feel you still need to DC every week?I'm so used to DCing every week but I'm thinking maybe I can do it every 2 weeks...since my hair sees water and conditioner pretty much everyday. Well at least for now since it's hot.

I still DC weekly but its not the same DC. I just returned to a good regimin in Feb. and just slowly slid into what is known ad CG. Its sounds like you are having good results.

I also just stared a full braid routine so I am still new at alot of what I am doing.

I am still leary of things because as much as I love the curls in my ends they will knot up so I am DC weekly for now. Maybe I need to cw regular every 4 days?

I still DC weekly but its not the same DC. I just returned to a good regimin in Feb. and just slowly slid into what is known ad CG. Its sounds like you are having good results.

I also just stared a full braid routine so I am still new at alot of what I am doing.

I am still leary of things because as much as I love the curls in my ends they will knot up so I am DC weekly for now. Maybe I need to cw regular every 4 days?

How long is your hair?

Mine is short so I can get away with doing a fresh wash n go everyday...although I like to stretch to no longer than 3 days.

I'm pretty sure when my hair is longer i'll have no choice but to refresh my WnGs every week:grin:....can't WAIT to have that issue! :lol:

Is Say Yes To Carrots conditioner curly girl friendly??

INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA), CETEARYL ALCOHOL, BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE*, CETYL ESTERS, DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) JUICE, DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) SEED OIL, MARIS AQUA (SEA WATER), MARIS LIMUS (SEA SILT) EXTRACT, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER OIL, OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL, PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, CALENDULA OFFICINALIS SEED OIL, CUCURBITA PEPO (PUMPKIN) FRUIT EXTRACT, IPOMOEA BATATAS ROOT LEES EXTRACT, CUCUMIS MELO (MELON) FRUIT EXTRACT, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL, CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (ORANGE) FRUIT EXTRACT, HONEY EXTRACT, PUNICA GRANATUM EXTRACT, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM), SODIUM HYDROXIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE

Is Say Yes To Carrots conditioner curly girl friendly??

INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA), CETEARYL ALCOHOL, BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE*, CETYL ESTERS, DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) JUICE, DAUCUS CAROTA SATIVA (CARROT) SEED OIL, MARIS AQUA (SEA WATER), MARIS LIMUS (SEA SILT) EXTRACT, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (MATRICARIA) FLOWER OIL, OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL, PRUNUS AMYGDALUS DULCIS (SWEET ALMOND) OIL, CALENDULA OFFICINALIS SEED OIL, CUCURBITA PEPO (PUMPKIN) FRUIT EXTRACT, IPOMOEA BATATAS ROOT LEES EXTRACT, CUCUMIS MELO (MELON) FRUIT EXTRACT, SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GERM OIL, CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (ORANGE) FRUIT EXTRACT, HONEY EXTRACT, PUNICA GRANATUM EXTRACT, GUAR HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM), SODIUM HYDROXIDE, SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE

isawstars, it sure is! :yep:

I have this book and I have done all this already and wish I could do all this with you all but I am now hiding my hair behind plaits to make it to bsl by the end of the year. but all you say does work and I found that the more simple I was the better it was for me and I just use mixed chicks on my hair because that works better for me and my daughter just use conditioner on hers just like massey states in her book and that works for her.

Last edited:
I have this book and I have done all this already and wish I could do all this with you all but I am not hiding my hair behind plaits to make it to bsl by the end of the month. but all you say does work and I found that the more simple I was the better it was for me and I just use mixed chicks on my hair because that works better for me and my daughter just use conditioner on hers just like massey states in her book and that works for her.

Shadiyah, i never, ever, ever hide my hair. Protective styling is Not for me. So please know you can be CG and still wear 'out' hair.

Most importantly, do what works for you and your hair. As far as I'm concerned there are no rules, only general suggestions, and best practices as shared by individuals for whom these practices work. In other words, it's a very individualized thing. If mixed chicks works for you, wonderful!! CG isn't for everyone, and it doesn't have to be. I'm just happy when someone finds a good product that works for them.
:yep:

I have the original Curly Girl book (she just released the updated version but I haven't checked it out yet) and I liked it. The CG method just didn't work for me though. I got build up from no cones conditioners and ended up having to shampoo anyway. Good luck on your journey though.

BTW, all the products on the cone free list are CG friendly as far as I know.

This was me, too. I felt a little--betrayed? LOL

This was me, too. I felt a little--betrayed? LOL

Were you transitioning at the time you were trying the conditioners? I think this will make all the difference in the world and also all of you try rainwash if your hair gets build up and you don't want to use shampoo. It works wonders.

my regi:
cowash: mixed chicks deep cond
mixed chicks leave in for my curls
at night I use hairveda whipped ends hydration and plait in 3 plaits and cover with silk cap every night.
bhringraj once a week
rainwash before I henna
henna once a month on the dot

That is it for me all the other products do not work for me. even while I am hiding my ends right now I only use whipped ends and a little olive oil on the ends and plait it up and put on my cap but now reading all this I really miss my curls:sad: so I think I may have to come out:lachen:

I can't join because I am not CG yet but plan to start in January after I am done PSing for the year. I'm here to learn (especially if there are other ladies who experienced itching from cowashing and were able to find something that didn't itch.... or is itching just part of the adjustment phase and eventually subsides?)

I have never had any itching problems and I was cowashing everyday. I do my scalp just like I would if I was using shampoo and never had a problem but I don't use oils on my hair either... my hair can not stand it. a little olive oil on the ends if I am protecting and that is it.

@Shadiyah, i never, ever, ever hide my hair. Protective styling is Not for me. So please know you can be CG and still wear 'out' hair.

Most importantly, do what works for you and your hair. As far as I'm concerned there are no rules, only general suggestions, and best practices as shared by individuals for whom these practices work. In other words, it's a very individualized thing. If mixed chicks works for you, wonderful!! CG isn't for everyone, and it doesn't have to be. I'm just happy when someone finds a good product that works for them.
:yep:

LOL I didn't know I put this info in here twice LOL I guess I need to read the whole thread before I jump in but I think I am getting ready to wet my hair right now lol can't take it anymore lol

Oh and do you ever have any problems with your ends? if you don't hide your hair???

Hey all!

I'm still doing my CG thing! Ya know....it seems cheaper for me to be Curly Girl except for when it comes to DC. What are y'all using to deep condition?

And I'm pretty sure u can still be CG and hide ur hair :yep:

I'm uber slow when it comes to identifying cones... So please let me know if anything I'm using has cones :grin:

Here is my current regimen:

At night, rinse and apply Megatek (leave on overnight with showercap);

In the morning, rinse and apply KC Knot Today;

Style with KC Curling Custard.

I shampoo on Sundays (or Mondays - depends on how I feel) with KC Come Clean Shampoo;

DC with a Dominican Conditioner (Can't think of the name right now. I'll have to check when I get home). Once I use up this conditioner, I plan on making my own with Avocado, Egg, Mayo, Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, and Honey.

Oh my curls..... they look so great... I thought it would takes some days because my hair has been in plaits for weeks. but no they are back.

I deep condition with mixed chicks deep condtioner and honey over night.

in regards to the shampoos listed, are they also great with detangling?

detangling is my biggest issue when I shampoo. The only 'poo that I'm able to use s CON and it's not on the list. :(

Suggestions please ladies!

TIA!

I already started this yesterday. But if anybody wants to join me you surely can!:yep:

The Curly Girl method was created by Lorraine Massey and basically what it is, is that you rid your hair of all silicones first with a sulfate shampoo...and then you begin to use products that do not contain silicones...unless they are easily washed out with conditioner or water.

You also avoid shampoo...hence the avoidance of silicone products...and rely on co washing and or an ocassional sulfate free shampoo. Some modified Curly Girls (or guys) use low-poo.

You also use...if ur using gels...use clear gels that have no alcohol or cones.

I'm still researching more on this as far as which cones to watch out for and which ones are water soluble. I'm giving it a 3 month try. I wanna see it tame my frizz and make my curls shinier.

I get most of my info on NC(naturally curly) but there is a book out by Lorraine Massey and of course it's called Curly Girl. :grin: this method is good for all curly/kinky/wavy hair types as it keeps our natural hair moisturized.

Just post if u wanna join me.

I wanted to repost this because I don't think everyone really understood that we were trying this without any shampoo. it is basically you will be co washing all the time.... no shampoo.

in regards to the shampoos listed, are they also great with detangling?

detangling is my biggest issue when I shampoo. The only 'poo that I'm able to use s CON and it's not on the list. :(

Suggestions please ladies!

TIA!

Have u tried detangling with a thick conditioner after shampooing instead?

I do a light finger detangling before I wash, then I put my creamy conditioner in to detangle with my fingers and then my wide tooth comb...I also follow up with my Denman but I only use that weekly to get rid of my sheds.

HTH!:)

ETA: I cleanse my hair with either a shampoo bar or the Curly Q Creamy Cleanser....I like both. :yep:...the latter smells like cake! ^_^

I would like to join! Right now im only cowashing my hair twice a week with giovani deep conditioner and also using the leave in. I seal with tea tree oil. I learned that my hair hates shampoo even the ones that everyone raves about.

So my 3 month run with being completely CG is almost up. As of July 6th.

I did like the method alot. However I've discovered....for me....that doing oil rinses give me alot of slip and have greatly decreased my SSK issue! :yep:....so I'm gonna see if using products with cones along with the oil rinses have similar effect.

Of course if not I'll go back to CG. I'm still in the trial & error phase so...yeah:look:

So my 3 month run with being completely CG is almost up. As of July 6th.

I did like the method alot. However I've discovered....for me....that doing oil rinses give me alot of slip and have greatly decreased my SSK issue! :yep:....so I'm gonna see if using products with cones along with the oil rinses have similar effect.

Of course if not I'll go back to CG. I'm still in the trial & error phase so...yeah:look:

I have a question... what length are you right now? and you were only planning on doing a 3 month run but did it tame your frizz? I have found my method I am just not trying to mess up my ends not that I am saying that wearing my curls out was but it is hot and it is easier to not wear them out right now in the heat.

Last edited:
I have a question... what length are you right now? and you were only planning on doing a 3 month run but did it tame your frizz? I have found my method I am just not trying to mess up my ends not that I am saying that wearing my curls out was but it is hot and it is easier to not wear them out right now in the heat.

My hair stretches slightly past my collarbone. I didn't really see a significant change in frizz while doing the CG method but my hair feels softer. But it could be bc...here in Florida it's usually humid and regardless of what I put on my hair it poofs up something serious when completely dry. Unless I pack on the gel but then it's crunchy :ohwell:

Were you transitioning at the time you were trying the conditioners? I think this will make all the difference in the world and also all of you try rainwash if your hair gets build up and you don't want to use shampoo. It works wonders.

my regi:
cowash: mixed chicks deep cond
mixed chicks leave in for my curls
at night I use hairveda whipped ends hydration and plait in 3 plaits and cover with silk cap every night.
bhringraj once a week
rainwash before I henna
henna once a month on the dot

That is it for me all the other products do not work for me. even while I am hiding my ends right now I only use whipped ends and a little olive oil on the ends and plait it up and put on my cap but now reading all this I really miss my curls:sad: so I think I may have to come out:lachen:

As a matter of fact I was/am. What's rainwash?

I've been doing curly girl for 1 week and a couple days now... and so far so good. My only issue is that my scalp feels itchy sometimes..... I don't know what to do about that...hmm.

but exciting news is that my curls have popped! I had no idea I had corkscrew curls! I can't stop playing with them. And my neck has very loose curls. I'm lovin it.

Back