SILICONE FREE SHINE SERUM OR WATER SOLUABLE CONES???????

camilla

:freakout:OK LADIES I HAVE A PROBLEM I AM TRYING TO START A NO POO REG AND I AM USING WEN, SHAKIKI BAR, BAKING SODA, AND SOMETIMES ACV I AM CURRENTLY RELAXED AND I USE ORGANIXS SHEA BUTTER SERUM AFTER I USE MY CONE FREE LEAVE IN (GIOVANNI DIRE)

1 IS IT TRUE THAT ONLY SHAPOOS WITH SULFATES CAN REMOVE CONES?
2 CAN BAKING SODA OR ACV OR CASTILE SOAP REMOVE THEM?
3 DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY SHINE SERUMS THAT DOES NOT HAVE CONES
OF HAS WATER SOLUIBLE CONES? here is the list

Healthy Curls

Silicones

What Are Silicones?

From the jessicurl web site (my underline):
"Silicones are viscous oily liquids that coat the hair shaft in gloss, giving the illusion of healthy sheen. As most curly hair tends to be dry and often frizzy, silicones seem like the miracle ingredient to combat these complaints. The downside is that most silicones are not water soluble, and can only be removed with harsh detergents. The very detergents needed to remove the silicones strip the hair of all its natural oils, leaving it stripped and straw-like. This causes the user to think she needs more silicones to combat the dryness. Thus, the cycle begins again. If the user is not using these harsh detergents to remove the silicones, they can build up, creating a barrier on the hair shaft. This barrier prevents moisturizing conditioners from penetrating the hair, further drying it out."
My problem is more with harsh shampoos than with silicones. Since non-water soluble silicones will build up if one doesn't use clarifying (i.e., harsh) shampoos to remove them, I try to stay away from them.
However, if a silicone is water soluble it doesn't need a harsh shampoo to remove it, so I'm okay with using a product that includes it.
For a ton more information about sater solubility, check out this thread on Cones, polyquats, ions, and removal of buildup from naturallycurly.com.
Here's a quick cheat sheet from the ingredients article I linked to on the Ingredients Guide page:
Amodimethicone
not soluble in water by itself
Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride
mixture that is soluble in water in the bottle*
Behenoxy Dimethicone
sparingly soluble in water
Cetearyl methicone
not soluble in water
Cetyl Dimethicone
not soluble in water
Cyclomethicone
not soluble in water
Cyclopentasiloxane
not soluble in water
Dimethicone
not soluble in water
Dimethicone Copolyol
water soluble
Dimethiconol
not soluble in water
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane
water soluble
Stearoxy Dimethicone
sparingly soluble in water
Stearyl Dimethicone
not soluble in water
Trimethylsilylamodimethicone
not soluble in water
Lauryl methicone copolyol
water soluble​

"Amodimethicone is never water soluble after being applied to your hair. It clings like any other silicone that is not water soluble."

Very helpful post! I was half tempted to use a silicone conditioner and I'm really glad you've given me some insight before I made a costly mistake.

Castile soap will work.... Also... you can look for Shampoos that contain Decyl Glucoside.
They also clean without stripping.

I use Castile.... I had no problems.

Yeah SJ is right you actually don't need a harsh detergent at all to remove non water soluble cones. You can even use sulfate free! It is a myth/gimmick that you need clarifying shampoo to remove any products actually. Now I wouldn't try using ACV or baking soda (those don't remove product build up).

Castile soap will work.... Also... you can look for Shampoos that contain Decyl Glucoside.
They also clean without stripping.

I use Castile.... I had no problems.

:urock:THANK YOU MS JONES YOUR THE BEST LOVE THE BUN INTHE SIGGY THAT MIGHT BE MY STYLE FOR THIS WEEK:sekret:

Back