cowashing daily?

Whats the verdict on daily cowashing?

• Total voters
Okayyyyy, can I just say my cowash with v05 kiwi lime and followed up with AO HSR last night left my hair looking and feeling absoloutly amazing :) yay!

I love daily co-washing and my hair loves it too. I don't do it now because it's too cold in Washington, but I will start back up when spring hits. I usually use Aussie Moist, HE HH, Nexxus Humectress (the generic one), or Pantene (not the relaxed & natural...yuck).

I don't co wash daily but I am when I take these braids out. I am constantly sick so during the winter I am going to try what some of you ladies mentioned (co washing at night). My intentions aren't to make a big production out if it because like some of you have mentioned I am lazy. Just condition, rinse and detangle while wet with my fingers. Thanks ladies!

I'm bumping this to find out if relaxed ladies also cowash daily. If so, what are you doing to your hair?

I cowash daily. I know its winter but I live in Florida and I still do it since I go from garage to garage for work. I can't wait to cowash in the summer months and get the summer growth. I know its coming. I hope cowashing will be one of the elements to get me to BSL by the end of this year.

Hi Co Washers!!!

After reading this thread I believe that I should incorporate a protein conditioner into my cowashing regimen.

Currently, I have KeraCare Humecto Creme Conditioner in the 5lb bucket and I want to know if this is considered a protein conditioner? Are there any others that you all would recommend?

Lastly, how often do you add the protein conditioner when cowashing? Is 1x a week enough?

TIA, Ladies...

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Bumping for help...

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

I cowashed this morning with 2 conditioners. The first one was a protein- Hairveda Moist Protein and then I followed up with a moisturizing conditioner AO WC. I believe I got this idea from NJoy's regimen in her blog.
I also DC twice a week and use a protein DC and follow up with a moisturizing DC.
My hair likes protein.

I voted do it!

However for me co washing daily only works in summer, wintertime is not advisable for me especially with all the flu and cold bugs going around.

I love co washing but then i do think why have i put all my leave ins if i'm going to wash them away in a day:lol: . I go all out for daily co wash when its warmer for added moisture.

i cowashed almost everyday over the summer....then when it got colder i tried to reduce washing/cowashing to 1x or 2x a week so i wouldnt go out w/ wet hair, but my hair does best with daily or every other day cowashes...now i cowash at night and baggy so in the morning my hair is still moist but its not soaking wet and can airdry before i leave the house.

I'm debating about whether or not I should co-wash daily.

QUESTIONS: How does one maintain and cultivate their own natural and healthy hair oils if their hair is under running water every day? Also, does daily co-washing cause a lot of build-up?

i cowashed almost everyday over the summer....then when it got colder i tried to reduce washing/cowashing to 1x or 2x a week so i wouldnt go out w/ wet hair, but my hair does best with daily or every other day cowashes...now i cowash at night and baggy so in the morning my hair is still moist but its not soaking wet and can airdry before i leave the house.

I still can't get to grips with baggying, my hair would be over moisturised and my hair would come out in the morning (like excessive shedding) but with daily co washing it was fine. Maybe if i added a bit of protein to overnight baggy may work?

I stopped last year but this year it makes the most sense for me. It's hecka hot and I'm working out or swimming frequently. It makes no sense to waste 3 hrs rolling my hair only to sweat it out the next day. And let's not mention the daily rain and humidity. :nono:

So cwing and wet bunning for me is more for convenience than hair health.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I found that the maximum number of times I can co-wash is two times a week. Anything more and my hair seems to suffer for it. Now, I have wet my hair on a near daily basis with no issues, so I tend to alternate between rinsing my hair one day and co-washing the next during the summer time.

I am still co washing daily with no issues. my hair loves it. I put my leave in mixed chicks in or one day I may just use eco styler gel but I put castor oil on my scalp every night along with hairveda whipped ends and plait it up and take it down every morning to co wash. My hair is very shiney and bounce I can not believe how bouncy it is. so this is much working for me. I don't use heat anymore to check my length, I just wet and pull to do a length check. I did not like the way the flat iron was damaging my hair just for that little bit of time.
so I say listen to your hair and co wash as much as you like.

I CW daily or every other day in summer winter 1-2 x a week depending on how low the temps are is the less I'll CW bit I do mist my length daily if it's cold. I dot like wet head in winter
I finger comb detangle I don't use my k cutter or denman daily that's too much.
My hairs more moisturize and I retain more length in summer doing this.

I use to cowash daily after the gym when I was relaxed, my hair ended up hating it! Now that I'm natural, my hair is in heaven with the daily cowashing. Now my hair is always moisturized and soft.

I really want to co-wash daily but my water here is terrible.
When ever I move, I will be jumping back on this.

all you have to do is use either apple cider vinegar rinse or this stuff call rainwash from mehandi.com it will get all the build up out of your hair from hard water and you can still co wash everyday with your favorite conditioner. I am telling you your hair will feel brand new.

all you have to do is use either apple cider vinegar rinse or this stuff call rainwash from mehandi.com it will get all the build up out of your hair from hard water and you can still co wash everyday with your favorite conditioner. I am telling you your hair will feel brand new.

tropical-punch or buy a water filter shower head for your shower.:yep:

I tried it this month for 10 days but my hair doesn't like it. I tried good quality conditioners as well as cheap ones, and oil rinsing before co-washing as well. It seems like it needs 2-3 days in order to produce its own oil/sebum, if I don't leave this space it feels more and more stripped, go figure (I even have a water filter)... But every third/fourth day it works very well, my hair is shiny and I don't have to spend time detangling anymore.

Last edited:
I stopped last year but this year it makes the most sense for me. It's hecka hot and I'm working out or swimming frequently. It makes no sense to waste 3 hrs rolling my hair only to sweat it out the next day. And let's not mention the daily rain and humidity. :nono:

So cwing and wet bunning for me is more for convenience than hair health.

Girl, I thought the same exact thing on yesterday. What a waste to do a rollerset that lasts for one day only because of all of this heat and humidity. So I cowashed Wed and it's still in a bun. I normally rollerset every Sat without fail.

You know, I do ACV rinses. I have severely hard water. I have wondered about the effect it has on hard water and if it is even effective on water as bad as mine. My hair has been very dry since I came back home and I attribute that to the water. :sad:

@tropical-punch or buy a water filter shower head for your shower.:yep:
I contemplated that but decided against it for a couple of reasons.

Does anyone ever use shampoo ever? If you co-wash too often it builds up on your hair because saying you "co-wash" with conditioner is really a misnomer. You wash with a cleansing agent (i.e. shampoo). You condition with conditioner. A shampoo won't condition like conditioner and conditioner will not wash your hair like shampoo.

With all of the oils, butters and everything else we put in our hair daily - it is very important we wash with shampoo to get rid of the products and build up. Conditioner can't do that for you. Use the products as instructed on the package because that is how they were meant to be used by the manufacturer.

Does anyone ever use shampoo ever? If you co-wash too often it builds up on your hair because saying you "co-wash" with conditioner is really a misnomer. You wash with a cleansing agent (i.e. shampoo). You condition with conditioner. A shampoo won't condition like conditioner and conditioner will not wash your hair like shampoo.

With all of the oils, butters and everything else we put in our hair daily - it is very important we wash with shampoo to get rid of the products and build up. Conditioner can't do that for you. Use the products as instructed on the package because that is how they were meant to be used by the manufacturer.

I use shampoo but only like when needed sometimes it could be a week and sometimes it could be later. But I have found that if i use a conditioner that has protien in it the first time it helps to clean better and then use the all moisture condtioner last. so there are things that we find that works for each of us because all of our hair are different and what works for me may not work for you so you have to find out what your hair likes. but that still doen't mean that you can not co wash everyday it may mean you have to use shampoo more than me.

Back