cowashing daily?

Whats the verdict on daily cowashing?

• Total voters
Well for me, I really like it. my hair has been at it's best since I've started co-washing, But when my nieces do it their hair get's all "mushy". So, i honestly think it depends.

I have zero options b/c I tried daily CWs for a long time while bone-straight relaxed, and my hair loved all that wetness and moisture. But, as my NG started coming in, the manip became too much. As a transitioner, it would def. be too much, and my busy sched. doesn't allow for me to deal with CWs and detangling daily.

My hair is too thick and long for all that while transitioning. Each wash day (even a CW) takes on average 1.5-2.5 hrs to complete, start to finish (I timed it, and this past Tuesday night, a CW took me 1 hr 45 mins). :nono: Maybe when I'm fully natchal I can resume, as then the (2) textures won't be an issue, and I won't be cautious of breakage at the demarcation line. ☻

ETA: I agree with Jordan S. I also use an MTG mix (my own concoction), and it needs to "seep" into the scalp and have time to work, along with my S8 before I look to wash my hair. I will be using for the forseeable future, so CW's wont be a daily thing for a very long time, if ever.

Last edited:
in my first year of being natural ..I co washed every single day... had no real issues with it...I stopped cause well.. i got kinda lazy...lol... however warmer months are coming..and I'll be probably doing it everyday ...I say try it.. if your hair can handle it.. go for it!

WOW Jewell it takes you soooo long to co-wash. It only takes me about 15 minutes! I hope it doesn't take that long as I get further into my transition. I'm only 5 months post at the moment.

I co-wash about 4 days a week depending on how often I exercise. I LOVE IT!!! It saved my hair. I air dry with a scarf, style in the morning, etc. I CW with Trader Joe's Conditioner.

I do this too esp since I am transitioning..When I was fully texlaxed, I could co-wash everyday. Now, it just causes too many tangles/manipulation.

I do it daily spring, summer and fall. Last winter, I wet bunned and was transitioning. This winter, I will likely flat iron some and twist out/ twist & curl some. LOVE COWASHING AND OBSESSED WITH CONDITIONER!

While there is nothing like a freshly washed scalp w/ hair smelling good like conditioner, I def can't do it daily. The most I could prob do it is 1x/2x a wk w/a real wash and deep condition on the wknd.
I hate walking around w/a wet head like that. I usually have to sit under my Pibbs for about 30 min just to make sure my head isn't soaking wet or I would lightly blowdry it to remove some of the wetness. If I go to the gym and start to sweat a lot in my hair, I really feel the need to cowash/wash when I get home. But to do it daily is too much for me.

I've been cowashing every other day since I bc'd a month ago. I'd like to do it daily but i just started using MN and I'm not sure if it will be effective if I'm rinsing it off the next day. What do u think? Anyone using growth aids on the scalp AND cowashing daily?

I voted yes!!! I LOVES daily co-washings!! My hair loves the moisture and is softer than ever, but I'm going through conditioner like hot cakes!!

I have a cash of conditioner hidden beneath my bathroom sink behind the toilet tissue! (So my fiancee won't talk junk about me having so many bottles! :Blush2:)

I'm a closet PJ!! :lachen:

I cowash now every single day since I'm transitioning. My hair loves the moisture, it has never been happier. And I detangle with my fingers sometimes and then use the comb once and a while to get rid of knots.

I co-wash, water rinse, and/or oil rinse along with finger-combing to get the shed hairs out. Hopefully, I can ease my shedding so I only have to do this every other day during the warmer months.

I used to co-wash every day until I realized how much it was damaging my ends. I was getting all these single-strand knots from the constant manipulation. I have since stopped and I'm finding that I'm actually retaining moisture better than I was before. Interesting. :ohwell:

question for the women with natural hair- do you all detangle your hair during/after the co-wash? i've heard some natural heads say that they don't and that they detangle their hair once a week or even once a month. personally, i HAVE to detangle my hair all the time. i'm curious as to how some naturals rarely detangle/comb through their hair

Since I co-wash in the shower I tend to let the water do the job for me. I may gently use my fingers to detangle but generally not.

Since I've upped my cardio, I am CW'g 4-5X a week. I definitely think it's making my strands seem thicker (maybe it's just me, but I know it's thicker).

No problems so far, and I feel my hair is thriving. I will keep an eye on my ends....

question for the women with natural hair- do you all detangle your hair during/after the co-wash? i've heard some natural heads say that they don't and that they detangle their hair once a week or even once a month. personally, i HAVE to detangle my hair all the time. i'm curious as to how some naturals rarely detangle/comb through their hair

I only detangle once a week with my modified denman. But i only have about 2 inches of hair. As it grows maybe i'll have to do it more often.

I'm pretty new to the whole "co-washing" thing. I just started co washing about three weeks ago. I can say that since I've been co washing 2-3x a week, my hair has become more manageable and moisturuzed.I use Suave because it doesn't have any harsh proteins and its a bit sudzy. Plus it smells delicious! I think it a great practice for natural girls to practice.

I only detangle once a week with my modified denman. But i only have about 2 inches of hair. As it grows maybe i'll have to do it more often.

i need to get a denman. it seems like every so many naturals have it. how is it any different from similar looking brushes that i see in stores though?

YES ME!!!! I do it every single day in the summer. Since the temps have dropped I dont do it at all (I hate being cold). Make sure to rotate a light protien and moisture conditioner and you should be fine. I believe this saved me from dry hair during the summer, and by the end of the summer I had excellent growth.:grin: This summer I will use Aussie moist, Vo5 Strawberries and Champagne, and Joico K-Pak, enjoy!

I think I need to do this. This year my hair is really suffering, I need to find a way to style it though as I'm starting to use too much heat.

Where can I find good info on heat free curly styles for relaxed hair?

the first time i was natural i cowashed everyday and my hair thrived! now i am lazy and was tryin to do only 2 days a week, but that wasn't working. i'm gonna start doing it more often so my hair can stay moisturized. ♥

I just started pretty much daily (sometimes I skip a day) co washes about 2 weeks ago and so far my hair LOVES it. I am retaining so much growth and my ends are looking thick and healthy. Not saying this is all from co washing.. I have been taking care of my hair for a few months now, but it is definitely alot better then constantly using poo which use to make my hair looks so.... :(

My hair is softer and more moisturized, and since I wet it more often I don't ever have to use heat to "reshape" day old hair which makes my hair extra happy

Vo5 is my love kiwi lime and strawberries and creme for lifffffe

Last edited:
My hair loves co washing every day to every other day. This has worked for me relaxed as well as natural.. I've gotten lazy i'ma try to kick it up a notch ..when I do show my hair..lol

If it works it works, for me it's just the styling that I do that breaks my hair afterwards. I feel compelled to do some detangling everytime I do my co wash and that leads to unneccessary breakage. I know that hair sheds daily, but I do no experience tons of shedding so twice a week is best for my hair.

Co washing did not work for me past 12 weeks into my stretch. Maybe I'll try it again now that I'm 1 week post.

Back