Corporate naturals...

AfroKink

Lys hopefully I haven't offended you as that wasn't my intent (i'm sure no one here was trying to offend anyone, just state their opinion). No one in this thread has implied/stated that cnapp hair is ugly, etc :nono:. I think it's just the style that someone put up for something that can be worn in a corp environment for quite a few women here wasn't cutting it. Share your pics, your hair is beautiful :yep:

I know my hair is beautiful. It's beautiful because it's mine. yes, it's misunderstood, but I like it. However the styles I posted are appearantly quite ugly. They were they only ones people said they didn't like. I guess everyone loved the all of the others? I am able to see what is commented on, and the nature of the comment.

Lys

20Pearls_Girl

To me, the second one is not very professional nor is it cute. Perhaps if it didn't have the bang twists, it would look a bit better.

There are a lot on www.crazycoil.sili.net
Lys

20Pearls_Girl

That's it exactly, the first one is too busy for my tastes. :perplexed

I don't like those styles either MJ. :look: The first one has too much going on. OP - Twists, buns, puffs, wash and go, twist outs, braid outs, etc. Personally, I like for my hair to look polished like it is in a style. I rarely wear it out and let it do what it does. As long as it looks neat and coherent I don't see the problem.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I wonder if that second style was done on a head that wasn't a c-napp if people feel the same way:rolleyes:

Raises hand. Uh, I would feel the same way. It is just TOO MUCH. In the first style I am feeling what she did with the middle portion as an up do. In the 2nd pic I am feeling the back. But what she has going on on the bottom and sides, etc just ain't happening for me in a work environment, or frankly any other. It has nothing to do with cnapp hair. Let one of these looser textured/relaxed hair ladies copy these styles exactly and I for one won't be giving them props EXCEPT for the sections I mentioned before.

PinkSkates

Yeah...that first doo is just way too busy for my taste. Even if that style was on the silkiest of type 1 hair, I still would find it most unattractive.
And LadyKaypnyc, your natural styles are lovely, neat and professional looking.

cmesweet

@ CC's pictures.

I like the first style. I'm assuming it is some kind of pincurl style.
The second picture, I like the back of the style, but the very front is not working for me.

Her hair is beautiful. I have visited her site numerous times, but that does not mean I have to like every style she does.

@Bre Bre
I wish I could cornrow, but flat twisting is the best that I can do.
By the way, that puff was in my first year of being natural. I'm in my 4th year now, I'm sure its bigger.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

@ CC's pictures.

I like the first style. I'm assuming it is some kind of pincurl style.
The second picture, I like the back of the style, but the very front is not working for me.

Her hair is beautiful. I have visited her site numerous times, but that does not mean I have to like every style she does.

@Bre Bre
I wish I could cornrow, but flat twisting is the best that I can do.
By the way, that puff was in my first year of being natural. I'm in my 4th year now, I'm sure its bigger.

Well, where is the picture of the beautimus 4 year puff??? Your gonna show us those too right? :lachen:Just kidding. Sort of :look:

Last edited:

JustKiya

I wonder if that second style was done on a head that wasn't a c-napp if people feel the same way:rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me, but the fact that there are no parts makes a difference, I think. I've really been looking at the pictures, trying to figure out what it is. I, like Bre-Bre - like certain parts of the style, and I think I would like each part of the style independantly. I'm for real wondering how she got that back part done in the first picture - that's lovely - it could be pincurls - I think it might be a loose two strand twist.

The second style - once again, it's the lack of parts. I think parts between the front and back sections, as well as parts between the bangtwists would transform that style into a very sharp & professional style.

It REALLY has nada to do with the texture of her hair.

Soul♥Flower

It looks like that because she's a true c-napp. My hair looks similar (I have a couple pics in my album). Even when it's moisturized it *looks* dry...

http://public.fotki.com/missalyssa/hair-tings/sl-challenge/

Lys

Aww man I was really looking forward to taking a look at your fotki...I guess I don't blame you for changing the PW. As for the pics you posted from crazycoil.net. I don't really like the second one, but the first one doesn't look bad, I like it. I would've probably did all the hair in the back in pin curls though...not really feeling the nape twists.

ETA: This woman has the curliest hair I've ever seen! :blush:

Because of the direction this thread has taken, I feel it necessary to add a disclaimer to the above statement by saying...I'm not trying to be negative.
Carry on...

Last edited:

Nonie

I am with JustKiya, if there had been a parting down the middle, I think that would have made the style look a touch more professional and planned. I actually don't mind the style at the back of the second do, except for the fact that it looks like it was rushed without that parting and some may think it wasn't combed. It looks like two low pony puffs stretched across the bottom to meet, which is a cute style--to me anyway. I'm not sure about the front. I can't really see what's going on there so perhaps if I saw it closer...I could comment. But otherwise, if all the hair was pulled back with a middle part and the back left as it is, I think it would work.

In the first pic, I'm not too crazy about the pincurls (But I'm also the same person who thinks finger coils are the ugliest things anyone can do to their hair regardless of texture :blush:). If I were the one doing that style, I think I'd just comb and put all the hair in the back into one big braid tucked under right where you'd wear a bun, with no the dangling twists at the nape. I might leave the front as it is, but perhaps incorporate the ends of the twists into the pulled back hair, ie tuck/hide them. I think it would make the style look tidy and sophisticated. There's something neat about having hair ends tucked away IMO.

Fine 4s

Thank goodness for where I work b/c today I'm off DA CHAIN.
I put my conditioner concoction on last night, put a conditioner cap on, a stocking to keep it in place and a knitted winter hat thingy and pushed it back slightly so the front shows some (the hats that hang in the back like I have MAD hair in it?) to make it look like I was going for a look (although I forgot my big hoop earrings).

I couldn't get away with how I wear my hair in a social setting trying to make an impression OR in the work place. But since I can get away with it here, I figure this is the best time to do what might not look so hot but yet, is best for my hair.

I met with a mentor (white male from Merryl Lynch) and at that meeting I wore a big twist-out. I asked him what he thought of such a hairstyle in ML’s environment (very honest relationship) and he told me that he saw nothing wrong with it (and I can make many assumptions as to why he might have drawn that conclusion). Although this is HIS perspective, I wonder whether these style constraints are self-imposed and why? Is it because of what we hear on the news, TV, radio (a la Imus) rather than from personal experience? How much does it REALLY matter and should we adhere to those standards or push back?

Suerte

I like LadyKay's styles too. Plus her face is extremely pretty so pulling her hair back works for her. It don't work for everybody though. Until I get the spots on my left cheek gone 100%...I am one of those people totally pulled back styles don't work for, lol.

And Glamazon...I remember that post and that is what I was thinking of...and ITA with you.

Nonie

I met with a mentor (white male from Merryl Lynch) and at that meeting I wore a big twist-out. I asked him what he thought of such a hairstyle in ML’s environment (very honest relationship) and he told me that he saw nothing wrong with it (and I can make many assumptions as to why he might have drawn that conclusion). Although this is HIS perspective, I wonder whether these style constraints are self-imposed and why? Is it because of what we hear on the news, TV, radio (a la Imus) rather than from personal experience? How much does it REALLY matter and should we adhere to those standards or push back?

In my case, the media has had very little influence on me and how I view hair. I grew up in Kenya and most people wore natural hair and styles and while many schools preferred TWAs so kids could focus on their studies, those that allowed people to grow long hair had rules about what is acceptable and what wasn't. In my elementary school, any cornrow styles or even single plaits w/o extensions were allowed, just as long as they looked fresh and neat and were lying down. I remember tying down my hair at night after applying some oil or grease so that fly-aways could lie flat just so as to extend a cornrow style a few more days till I could get my mom or the hairdresser to re-braid my hair.

In high school, cornrows were forbidden except for end-of-school-year students and only during their national exam finals, and even then elaborate hairdos and extensions were not allowed. Just simple cornrows going back like Jennifer's which had to be redone the minute they started to look messy. The rest of the time everyone had to wear hair that was combed, whether TWA or pony puffs or buns or French rolls--whether relaxed or natural--unless you were lucky to have long hair when a max of three square plaits were allowed (kinda like this but hopefully not sticking out like that :lol: ; most people would braid the tails of the two in the front into the third for neatness' sake). I cannot recall if one or two French braids were allowed from front to back. I seem to think they were, but I might be mistaken.

Braid-outs or twist-outs would have been considered uncombed hair and you'd not get very far with them. I remember I once tried to be creative and did a short fat cornrow on the side of my TWA combed out the tail of the cornrow to blend in with the TWA so it looked like the hair had been pulled back by a side-comb and thought I was IT. No sooner had I sat down in my first class of the day and the teacher started teaching than she caught glimpse of my do and immediately sent me back to the dorms (I was in boarding school) in the middle of class "to comb [my] hair". I remember tears welling up from sheer embarrassment as I raced to undo my creation. A comb pulling that hair back was acceptable though, so determined to sport that look, I did that instead. But again no funny colored hair clips were allowed either. They had to be black or dark brown. (Our uniform was dark brown and white, but white clips were not allowed.) If you had to wear makeup, only black eye pencil and mascara were allowed but not so much that you looked like a drag queen; it had to be a natural look. Clear lip gloss or lip balm were also allowed.

I remember when we would go out of school to represent our school in an Inter-School Competition (e.g. choir competitions), we all had to wear our hair pulled/combed/brushed back and if long, worn in a puff or a low bun or pony puff or a braid that could be left hanging or be tucked in if you liked. I remember how smart and uniform we'd all look standing in that crescent shape waiting for the conductor's direction on stage. I remember feeling so proud to be part of that neat lot.

So I guess those years laid down certain standards in my head of what is considered being well-groomed. Of course, now that I'm out of school I have bent a few rules like I wear extensions to work and have even worn them down flowing and free, but even when I do that, I make sure they look "combed" if you catch my drift; you know looking orderly the way long freely flowing hair would look if it were combed. But most times, I wear my braids cornrowed. And I think braid-outs and twist-outs do look nice if the give the illusion of crimped hair and deliberated created waves. When they look very obvious like hair that was undone and then not combed, I think they're better worn as a casual do.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

In my case, the media has had very little influence on me and how I view hair. I grew up in Kenya and most people wore natural hair and styles and while many schools preferred TWAs so kids could focus on their studies, those that allowed people to grow long hair had rules about what is acceptable and what wasn't. In my elementary school, any cornrow styles or even single plaits w/o extensions were allowed, just as long as they looked fresh and neat and were lying down. I remember tying down my hair at night after applying some oil or grease so that fly-aways could lie flat just so as to extend a cornrow style a few more days till I could get my mom or the hairdresser to re-braid my hair.

In high school, cornrows were forbidden except for end-of-school-year students and only during their national exam finals, and even then elaborate hairdos and extensions were not allowed. Just simple cornrows going back like Jennifer's which had to be redone the minute they started to look messy. The rest of the time everyone had to wear hair that was combed, whether TWA or pony puffs or buns or French rolls--whether relaxed or natural--unless you were lucky to have long hair when a max of three square plaits were allowed (kinda like this but hopefully not sticking out like that :lol: ; most people would braid the tails of the two in the front into the third for neatness' sake). I cannot recall if one or two French braids were allowed from front to back. I seem to think they were, but I might be mistaken.

Braid-outs or twist-outs would have been considered uncombed hair and you'd not get very far with them. I remember I once tried to be creative and did a short fat cornrow on the side of my TWA combed out the tail of the cornrow to blend in with the TWA so it looked like the hair had been pulled back by a side-comb and thought I was IT. No sooner had I sat down in my first class of the day and the teacher started teaching than she caught glimpse of my do and immediately sent me back to the dorms (I was in boarding school) in the middle of class "to comb [my] hair". I remember tears welling up from sheer embarrassment as I raced to undo my creation. A comb pulling that hair back was acceptable though, so determined to sport that look, I did that instead. But again no funny colored hair clips were allowed either. They had to be black or dark brown. (Our uniform was dark brown and white, but white clips were not allowed.) If you had to wear makeup, only black eye pencil and mascara were allowed but not so much that you looked like a drag queen; it had to be a natural look. Clear lip gloss or lip balm were also allowed.

I remember when we would go out of school to represent our school in an Inter-School Competition (e.g. choir competitions), we all had to wear our hair pulled/combed/brushed back and if long, worn in a puff or a low bun or pony puff or a braid that could be left hanging or be tucked in if you liked. I remember how smart and uniform we'd all look standing in that crescent shape waiting for the conductor's direction on stage. I remember feeling so proud to be part of that neat lot.

So I guess those years laid down certain standards in my head of what is considered being well-groomed. Of course, now that I'm out of school I have bent a few rules like I wear extensions to work and have even worn them down flowing and free, but even when I do that, I make sure they look "combed" if you catch my drift; you know looking orderly the way long freely flowing hair would look if it were combed. But most times, I wear my braids cornrowed. And I think braid-outs and twist-outs do look nice if the give the illusion of crimped hair and deliberated created waves. When they look very obvious like hair that was undone and then not combed, I think they're better worn as a casual do.

I really like your cornrows! Are they individual braids in cornrows?
I need to learn how to cornrow....ASAP

Nonie

I really like your cornrows! Are they individual braids in cornrows?
I need to learn how to cornrow....ASAP

Yes they are. I have parted them in the middle and cornrowed on either side so they meet in the back then tucked the "tails" under. I usually do this on damp hair as I find it easier to do them neatly when hair is damp. Which works just as well because I can undo them a few days later and wear a nice braid-out.

Last edited:

LadyKaypnyc

These all look so cute! I''d wear any of them to work any day!

Thanks Girl :bighug:

Bre, the style started out as finger coils, but I fell asleep on them while they were wet:wallbash: When I took my bonnet off, they were sticking up all over the place:nono:

So, I redid about 4 in the front to frame my face

Then I just pinned up the crazy coils in the back

Added a headband and viola, lol:grin:

Nonie

It's not working:perplexed

They worked briefly after the links were first put up (Nice styles. :yep:).

Free Fotki accounts usually don't let links to pictures or actual pictures from there show up for long on other forums.

So Cmesweet, giving the URL to the page on your album where the photos are located may work better than giving the URL to the actual photo or trying to post the actual photo. Or better yet, a directing folks to the album to see them there.

HTH

LadyKaypnyc

I know my hair is beautiful. It's beautiful because it's mine. yes, it's misunderstood, but I like it. However the styles I posted are appearantly quite ugly. They were they only ones people said they didn't like. I guess everyone loved the all of the others? I am able to see what is commented on, and the nature of the comment.

Lys

I have no problem with Cnapp hair. All Black hair is beautiful to me. I simply didn't like ONE OF STYLES. That's it. I in no way, nor have any of the others, slammed the woman for having Cnapp hair.:nono:

LadyKaypnyc

I like LadyKay's styles too. Plus her face is extremely pretty so pulling her hair back works for her. It don't work for everybody though. Until I get the spots on my left cheek gone 100%...I am one of those people totally pulled back styles don't work for, lol.

And Glamazon...I remember that post and that is what I was thinking of...and ITA with you.

Thank you so much!!!!:lots:

I used to be ashamed of my chubby cheeks...they make me look bigger than I really am, lol, but after a while, I just said F it.:spinning:

Pull yo hurr back girl:grin:

cmesweet

They worked briefly after the links were first put up (Nice styles. :yep:).

Free Fotki accounts usually don't let links to pictures or actual pictures from there show up for long on other forums.

So Cmesweet, giving the URL to the page on your album where the photos are located may work better than giving the URL to the actual photo or trying to post the actual photo. Or better yet, a directing folks to the album to see them there.

HTH

Hey, thanks for letting me know. There were random pictures from my album, I'll put the links in here in a few

*off to get the pictures*

cmesweet

Oh, I LOVE that crown french roll!! How'd you do that??

Thanks JustKiya,

I did it from a fresh wash and detangling session.
I put in moisturizer and then seperated the hair in the direction I wanted to go in.
Then I took sections of hair, brushed the outer part to smooth it out and bobbypinned them down. I did this all the way around until it became a crown.

This style lasted a couple of days, I just spritzed it ever few days.