Corporate naturals...

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I think I understand where Bre-Bre and MJ are coming from. I don't think they are trying to be disrespectful at all. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For example, when I wore my hair like this, I thought I was caliente and consider that do one of my best creations to date, but my hubby thought it was ugly and looked like I had spiders on my head. Good thing is I dress for Nonie and not for anyone else, so he just learned to live with spiders.

When I visited a stylist and got a BC I never asked for, she worked on my hair for about 2 hours and when she finally said, "There you are!" and I looked up and saw in the mirror the style she was letting me go out the door with, my eyes nearly popped out. I thought she was kidding. First the horror at having lost over 5 inches of hair. And then I see the UGLIEST hairstyle I have ever seen. So many people seem to love it, but hayle naw! Makes me think of a crazy woman sitting in a corner rocking back and forth while twirling her fingers in her hair. I am sure you all can guess the style I'm talking about: finger coils. My hubby and I were on the same page on this and while he was madder that I let someone cut my hair, he was not amused that I would walk out in public like that. I didn't realize how ugly it looked till I looked at it up close after being out in public and just cried. BTW, that's how my hair looks with many products on it. It had been washed and conditioned with Aveda line then finger twirled with Paul Mitchell. Results: coarse, stiff napps. :nono: BTW, I gave that style a couple of days to look better LOL but when it didn't happen, I untwirled and finger combed and while I haven't used a comb on this hair, I'd sooner go to work with this uncombed do than the stylist's idea of cute.

Another difference of opinion is in the look I got after applying products for a twist-out. A twist-out without products didn't look bad to me and I was comfortable with it. I think I even wore it to work on a friday pulled back with a pretty scarf. But while trying to follow another guru's regimen, I applied her recommended products for my twist-out and this is what I got. :lol: To me that was a scary mess...but it was the weekend so I just wore it like that LOL and hubby didn't mind it at all. I was shocked at his reaction coz he likes neat styles, but he said it didn't bother him. No kidding beauty does lie in the eye of the beholder!

So the styles I'd consider corporate worthy--even though I've been known to go looking crazy to work--are styles that don't make anyone wonder whether you just didn't have time to comb your hair and styles that aren't so busy that they're distracting. I think simple cornrows are very neat and I'm yet to meet anyone who didn't like my hair when I wore it like this or like this. I think Jennifer's hairdo in her avi rocks. Guapa's avi do is very neat and smart. Pulled back puffs look neat too or a single braid/cornrow at the back and tucked under. Even a single French braid down the center of the head would not be a bad idea.

I think the "spider braids" came out great and i love your twist out too. How in the heck are you guys able to do the single braid down the center? Was your hair pressed?

And no, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful but i'm not feeling all the multiple styles going on in one head. It's just not my thing where your hair is nappy, silky, textured, brown, blonde or otherwise. If you feel that it is your thing (not you Nonie) then do you and wear it proudly :yep:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I think it has less to do with texture and more to do with that she no-poos, uses butters in her hair and only clarifies with vinegar.

According to her 'routine' section, she hasn't used shampoo since 2003 and notes a buildup problem.

And while I like CC's album and appreciate her contribution, I wouldn't wear any of those styles to work either.

To answer the OP's question, I'm boring so my day to day is normally a puff or twists.

Interesting indeed. Hey, whatever works for the individual.

LadyKaypnyc

Hi Ladies...
Do you ladies have any style ideas for naturals working in corporate environments and/or other formal settings. This is not easy to come by in magazines. I know that some you don't really straighten often, so what do you do in the meantime? I would soooo appreciate pics or advice. Thanks again!:grin:

Just a few of many...

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I don't have much of a comparison because I only get to play in my hair. But I would say it doesn't feel dry, because when it's dry it feels different than when it's been moisturized, although it looks similar.

My hair looks more like the second set of pics I posted for CrazyCoil. I think it's because they were both taken inside, with artificial lighting. The first pic of CrazyCoil is natural outdoor lighting. Mine looks like that under the sun, except my hair has a lot more red it in.

I started a detailed Fotki a year ago. Then I got lazy.
Lys

is your reddish tone from henna? I am noticing that my hair is reddish brown in the sun and I havent cellophaned in many months. I am wondering if that is my hair color or just residual color that is hanging on after many many many cowashing episodes

Suerte

I'm sorry but those styles look a hot mess to me. Like she let 4 little kids try new stuff on her head all at the same time. Especially that twist/puff/brush out/bun/fro style. Pick one, maybe pick two, bot not ALL of them at the same time on different quadrants of your head.

I understand that SOME people are gonna think that because everyone doesn't think these styles are beautiful...that we must have some type of issue with Mother Africa and some type of issue with the kinkiest variety of hair...or issues with natural hair... but just because something is natural does not mean that it is automatically beautiful, healthy, non-toxic, presentable, edible, wearable, usable, non-comedogenic, non-inflammatory, etc.

I don't think it is rational to expect people to look at those styles and think of softness and beauty. Maybe if you have touched hair like that and styled hair like that and have felt cottony fluffy softness in hair that looks like that, good for you. But don't get angry at people just because they look at that hair and think "It looks dry and rough", because it *does* look dry and rough. Maybe certain people have experienced it so they know it might not be dry and it might not be rough, but you cannot fault people for making a logical conclusion. IE...light bulbs have fire inside of them so they look hot. Yes it might be a cool touch coating on the bulb, but are you gonna get upset that someone thought it was hot to the touch...by using logical reasoning?

That woman is just trying to do too much. If she was an Asian woman with type 1 silky and moist looking hair, but it was teased and hairsprayed and moussed and gelled into the above styles I would look at her like she was crazy. Those white people with some body and slight curl in their hair that dread their hair and wind up looking like a frizzy dandruffy accident...it's not meant for them so when they do it, they look a hot mess.

Stop trying to make people read the writing that YOU wrote in between the lines. You wanna assume that people don't like these styles cuz they are done on nappy natural chemical free hair...and you wanna make it into a level of blackness/you must not be comfortable with yourself if you wouldn't wear your hair like that type of issue... when it's not. The styles are just...bad. They look bad, period. Every hair type cannot do the same exact thing - there is nothing wrong with that - but she is trying to do some things that do not look right on her head with her hair type.

You only applies to YOU. Meaning whoever is sitting and reading between the lines whether you have or have not posted in the thread. YOU.

Carry on.

LadyKaypnyc

She wears these styles to a corporate job? That first one looks like she was just chilling at the house on the weekend and was playing in her hair. In the 2nd series of pics I like what she did with the back. I don't like the side action but I can totally see a beautiful and sleek updo based on the back part:yep:

I have a question though. Why does it seem like her hair is so super dry? Does it have to do with the texture or just a preference for styling products?

Ditto!

I looks like she let her children run amok in her hair:nono:
I actually like the second style....

Cheleigh

Wow, this thread sort of jumped the shark, didn't it?

I was gonna say more, but lemme leave that alone.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I'm sorry but those styles look a hot mess to me. Like she let 4 little kids try new stuff on her head all at the same time. Especially that twist/puff/brush out/bun/fro style. Pick one, maybe pick two, bot not ALL of them at the same time on different quadrants of your head.

I understand that SOME people are gonna think that because everyone doesn't think these styles are beautiful...that we must have some type of issue with Mother Africa and some type of issue with the kinkiest variety of hair...or issues with natural hair... but just because something is natural does not mean that it is automatically beautiful, healthy, non-toxic, presentable, edible, wearable, usable, non-comedogenic, non-inflammatory, etc.

I don't think it is rational to expect people to look at those styles and think of softness and beauty. Maybe if you have touched hair like that and styled hair like that and have felt cottony fluffy softness in hair that looks like that, good for you. But don't get angry at people just because they look at that hair and think "It looks dry and rough", because it *does* look dry and rough. Maybe certain people have experienced it so they know it might not be dry and it might not be rough, but you cannot fault people for making a logical conclusion. IE...light bulbs have fire inside of them so they look hot. Yes it might be a cool touch coating on the bulb, but are you gonna get upset that someone thought it was hot to the touch...by using logical reasoning?

That woman is just trying to do too much. If she was an Asian woman with type 1 silky and moist looking hair, but it was teased and hairsprayed and moussed and gelled into the above styles I would look at her like she was crazy. Those white people with some body and slight curl in their hair that dread their hair and wind up looking like a frizzy dandruffy accident...it's not meant for them so when they do it, they look a hot mess.

Stop trying to make people read the writing that YOU wrote in between the lines. You wanna assume that people don't like these styles cuz they are done on nappy natural chemical free hair...and you wanna make it into a level of blackness/you must not be comfortable with yourself if you wouldn't wear your hair like that type of issue... when it's not. The styles are just...bad. They look bad, period. Every hair type cannot do the same exact thing - there is nothing wrong with that - but she is trying to do some things that do not look right on her head with her hair type.

You only applies to YOU. Meaning whoever is sitting and reading between the lines whether you have or have not posted in the thread. YOU.

Carry on.

Basically. Again I wasn't trying to be offensive but it does look dry to me which is why I asked. I can't see myself wearing the first multi styled hair do to work or frankly anywhere but everything is not for everybody.

Suerte

Wow, this thread sort of jumped the shark, didn't it?

I was gonna say more, but lemme leave that alone.

Everyone wants to just leave it alone but by saying you're gonna say more...or like the other poster who felt a need to say she had some things she was gonna say but didn't... I mean, why even say that? It just seems instigative to me...to tell everyone something is bothering you, to tell everyone that you have something to say...to go through saying all of that passive agressively... to not say anything OTHER than "I am thinking something in my head...but because I enjoy confusion and I like to start some mess and then walk away from it and watch what happens...I'm just gonna tell everyone that I am thinking something...something PROBABLY controversial/negative/flat out wrong...but I'ma just say I'm thinking something and wait for someone to catch onto what I am thinking...blah blah blah."

I have no time or tolerance for that. Say what you have to say...instead of saying that you WERE going to say something.

I think certain posters...don't feel like mutliquoting to get the appropriate SN spellings, etc... but certain posters who are doing the above... are really saying: "The women who don't like these styles are either slaves to perms, think they have better hair than I do, are unhappy with their natural texture so would never wear this style, etc" when that is soooooooo not the case for myself and several others.

JustKiya

I think CC's hair is gorgeous. I just don't like the styles - but then, I've never liked really 'busy' hair styles. I also don't think that busy hairstyles, no matter what the texture of hair they are on, are appropiate any place you are trying to be professional. Two hairstyles per head, please - one hairstyle for the bangs, and another for the back.

But then, that's just me. And someone might think I'm dismissing the history of creative hair styles in Diasporic cultures - but I'm not. I'm just saying that in the 21st century, I don't care WHO you are - more than two hairstyles on the same head starts to get..............messy looking.

As far as dryness goes - mrr. I don't know. I used to think that my hair would never, ever, ever look anything but dry - but two years of henna has turned my hair into a glossy, never dry looking (even though it might BE dry) mass of kinky hair. I, hrmmm, I personally disagree that cnapp hair will always look dry, no matter what - but then I don't think I have cnapp hair (largely because my hair doesn't look dry) so maybe I'm just talking out of my ass.

I've heard people say that don't like the hairstyle - ain't nothing depreciating in that, as well all have different tastes.
I've heard people ask why her hair looks so dry - which, whether it is or it isn't, it does LOOK that way - ain't nothing rude about that question, either.

:ohwell: Can we please get off of CC, and back onto the OP's original question?

To help in that end, here are a couple of the styles I wear to work.

Justice4alw

When I was a loose natural I would wear rodded two-strand twists, twist-outs, a high puff, a low puff, flat twists back to a pinned bun, a wash-and-go with a headband. If there was a straight hairstyle that I wanted to wear that for my texture and length I couldn't approximate with my loose hair, I would two-strand twist it and then pretty much was able to mimic it.

Nonie

JustKiya, please describe the style you have in the last pic. Is is twists cornrowed in the back? And what have you done at the front? Middle part? I like it :yep:

JustKiya

JustKiya, please describe the style you have in the last pic. Is is twists cornrowed in the back? And what have you done at the front? Middle part? I like it :yep:

Thank you!!! This is my favorite style......

The back is actually twists flattwisted, as I can't cornrow to save my life. :lol:

The top has an angled part....

Justice4alw

JustKiya, how did you do that first style to the left, first row? It looks a little like roller-set twists.

That's spicy! ... :yep:

Nonie

Thank you!!! This is my favorite style......

The back is actually twists flattwisted, as I can't cornrow to save my life. :lol:

The top has an angled part....

OMG, that's beautiful! I'm so gonna try that. Do you pin the ends of the flat twists or tuck or both?

Cheleigh

I have no time or tolerance for that. Say what you have to say...instead of saying that you WERE going to say something.

What I was "going" to say was that the posts that listed people's PERSONAL opinions about the suggested corporate hairstyle were off topic from the OP's original question and that was reason the thread jumped the shark. I wouldn't wear the styles that CC had in this thread, but it's not like even SHE necessarily wrote that these where her corporate styles, but maybe she does. I'm assuming she hasn't gotten fired, so maybe for her, they work as corporate styles.

A responder, trying to be nice, posted the CC styles as a suggestion "in her opinion" that could be corporate styles. Then the topic veered off into "I wouldn't wear that as a corporate style." Maybe not, but again, not the point of the topic, because some folks like certain styles, some don't. It was merely a suggestion of a style, and not posted in response to the question "would YOU wear this as a corporate style?"

And then you Suerte put the two on the ten with your post. And for the record, exactly THREE people questioned why folks didn't like the CC styles, out of several dozen people responding, so I'm not getting the virulent post in response.

JustKiya

JustKiya, how did you do that first style to the left, first row? It looks a little like roller-set twists.

That's spicy! ... :yep:

Thank you!!!! That's actually a twist out from my 'favorite' style - I think having the two strand twists flattwisted as well gave them that 'super' crinkly shape..... *sigh* I wish I could wear that one for more than a day!

:lol: Bre-Bre - thank you, sis! ;)

Nonie - it depends on my hairs mood that day. :lol: Sometimes I can get away with just tucking it, and it'll stay. Sometimes I have to pin it. One trick that I do to insure the flat twist stays in longer is that I braid the very end, instead of twisting to the end... :yep: that also usually makes it easier to tuck.

Suerte

JustKiya has some beautiful examples of NEAT, BEAUTIFUL, and professional styling. Thank God she posted her pics cuz now we see the difference between polished and unpolished.

glamazon386

Carry on.

ITA... That reminds me of a thread on the other board where people were like are nappies excused from bad hair days or something like that. People talk all the crap they want about relaxed heads and bad weaves but as soon as somebody says something about a natural head looking bad people always take it as self hatred. It's not even about that. I've seen some polished natural hair styles and I've seen some natural hair styles that look a hot ass mess. Same goes for relaxed heads. Having all those multiple styles on one head (or anything busy for that matter) is not professional or conservative, IMO.

cmesweet

Here are some styles that are very neat and wearable

Blown out puff, with flower

Crown french roll
Curled box braids
Flat twists in front pinned on top, loose twists in back
Blow out hair made into 2 braids and pinned up.
Simple TWA with hair jewels and black head band

I hope some of these styles are polished and professional enough to use.

AfroKink

I checked out your link :yep: I can see now what you mean about the texture of cnapp hair. But honestly, your hair doesn't look like it's "dried out" for lack of a better term. I guess their are different levels just like with all the other hair types. I wish there were more of this type of hair on the board because frankly i'd never really heard of it and would love to see a little more variety here (unless yall are already here and i'm just not paying attention :lachen:)

I think you can probably see now why you don't find many with that hair type on the board. I wont be refering to my pics or ones I like on here anytime soon.

Lys

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Here are some styles that are very neat and wearable

Blown out puff, with flower

Crown french roll
Curled box braids
Flat twists in front pinned on top, loose twists in back
Blow out hair made into 2 braids and pinned up.
Simple TWA with hair jewels and black head band

I hope some of these styles are polished and professional enough to use.

Your puff is HUGE :grin: I love it with the big flower. I wish with all my wondertwin powers that I can flat twist but it always comes out looking like shiznit :wallbash:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I think you can probably see now why you don't find many with that hair type on the board. I wont be refering to my pics or ones I like on here anytime soon.

Lys

Lys hopefully I haven't offended you as that wasn't my intent (i'm sure no one here was trying to offend anyone, just state their opinion). No one in this thread has implied/stated that cnapp hair is ugly, etc :nono:. I think it's just the style that someone put up for something that can be worn in a corp environment for quite a few women here wasn't cutting it. Share your pics, your hair is beautiful :yep: