Cones vs. No Cones

Does the use of cones make a difference in your hair?

• I use cones and I love them!!

Votes: 31 44.9%
  • I hate cones!

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • I'm good either way...

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Who the hell cares?

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
my main shampoos: -cone free
my main moisturizing DC's cone free

my heat and rollerset products have cones: I don't use them everyday during this time only the day I flatiron or rollerset and then the nights before I exercise to prevent reversion.

my light protein (Joico reconstructor condtioner) conditioner has one -cone
I recently purchased a condtioner that has one (Joico intense hydrator)
I have one more I purchased for the time I am unable to moisture DC

I dont use a -cone based product every week. The week that I do I ALWAYS clarify with Quantum clarifying shampoo after.

I remember back in '08 when I intially eliminated -cones, mineral oil and pertroleum based products my hair went through and actual transformation. All the build-up was released over the course of a few week and my hair started to hold onto moisture better.

My hair IMO is better without them. It still has shine becaue I use a lye relaxer and I just feel better knowing my hair holds on to moisture without them.

Moderation is best for me.

If I was natural I probably would use them the same way, more in stylers than in shampoos or main moisture DC's.

ETA: my shampoo (paul mitchell 3) has a cone. When my hair dries there is no residue left behind. I only use it the wash before doing my TU.

Last edited:
I guess I put the wrong answer - I hate cones, but ONLY because I do not want to use sulfate shampoos to wash them out. Sulfate poos frizz my hair for like, three days. I can use water soluble cones though with no issues.

I always thought that my hair did fine with cones until I stopped using them and my hair was sooo much softer and didn't feel like straw so now I barely use any cones at all.

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I just recently realized my hair doesn't seem to like shampoo of any sort- sulfates, sulfate free (coc betaine, etc)- they are leave my hair stripped and tangled. And cones didn't seem to help and I thought my hair loved cones. Tresemme used to be my hair's bff lol. Not anymore. Now I cowash and then rinse with GF sleek and shine and rinse about half of it out and seal with vatika frosting. My hair and I are now getting along.

I tend to stay away from cones. My hair feels good the same day but two days later my hair is dry and breaking.

one of my favorite shampoos has cones in it but it's very low on the list of ingredients. i'm ok them up to a certain point. i try not to use moisturizers that have them but i'm OK with my shampoo and conditioner having them as long as they are low on the list of ingredients. obviously when i use a heat protectant or anti frizz serum, i'm using cones. as long as i've moisturized my hair, i guess i'm ok with that since i don't want my hair to revert.

less is more, in my experience....

I just started back using cones regularly and my hair is LOVING it right now. So I'm just gonna focus on how products work for me and not ingredients.

My hair love cones especially when I use my staple Motions products... especially the Motions Moisturizer Conditioner... Coats my hair really well and has for years..

My hair performs better without cones, especially when it comes to moisture. I've found that when using cones for wash 'n gos, I don't get much curl clumping, leaving my strands more stringy than anything. I only use cones when straightening my hair; that's when they serve a purpose for me.

My hair performs better without cones, especially when it comes to moisture. I've found that when using cones for wash 'n gos, I don't get much curl clumping, leaving my strands more stringy than anything. I only use cones when straightening my hair; that's when they serve a purpose for me.

That's the only time I CAN use them it seems. It's like my curly hair doesn't like cones, but my straight hair loves them :kanye*shrug:

During my transition i used a braidspray containing cones and it served its purpose

i now follow the CG routine and my hair is much better without it:grin:

Yesssssssssssss. I have hardly ever found a conditioner as good a Motions Moisture Plus... I think 80% of what I use has cones, LOVE it!

My hair love cones especially when I use my staple Motions products... especially the Motions Moisturizer Conditioner... Coats my hair really well and has for years..

I used motions moisture plus and my hair started shedding after using it for like a month and I couldnt figure out why. When my MMP finished I started using something else and My hair is back to normal. Maybe I had a build up.

My texturized hair couldnt live without cones. I incorporated cone free deep conditioners and oils in order to fortify it, but I had to use cones in shampoos and conditioners. By using both I had good results. I had to rotate products though.

My natural hair loves the cone free life and the natural products, I can rely on the fact that it always reacts to moisture and treatments and I never need to clarify with harsh shampoos. It is predictable and it becomes easier to identify when something is wrong. This didnt happen when I used cones.

It took me a few years from being on the board to realize that my hair doesn't like cones. When I first joined, I tried everything and a lot of products would work well for a few tries at most and then not work at all. This is in regards to conditioners. I couldn't make sense of it at all, I just thought and really believed that I had fickle hair... and this was for years.

One day, I finally decided to give Elucence MB a try again (b/c in the past it did nothing), and I began to realize that it was the one product that worked for me steadily no matter what. So I stuck w/ that for a while, I also introduced Giovanni direct leave in, and I stuck w/ it for a while (I still do) and it kept working. Again, I still didn't quite figure out yet what it was about these products that made me like them. Since I read that Kenra MC and Elucence were similar, I bought the Kenra MC and I was like wowww, this is a great alternative. So I alternated the two for a while and stuck w/ them pretty much exclusively except for using a protein conditioner here and there. I finally began to realize that it's the cones and plethora of ingredients in my conditioners that my hair did not like.

To confirm this, I've obviously tried tons of other popular conditioners :lol: and they may preform well the first time, but subsequently they are a dud. Idk, i'm relaxed and I prefer products w/o cones and products that are more natural based. My hair has a consistent softness and moisture that I never had so consistently in the past. I got a touch up this weekend and used my Elucence MB under the steamer for a while and my hair still has as amazing softness and silkiness to it (it could be the relaxer idk). In the past, whenever I was steadily using my poo, Elucence or Kenra dc, my Giovanni leave in, the tail comb would easily glide through my hair. So much so, that I've had hairdressers write down what I was using and I've gone and bought them bottles of Giovanni leave in. BTW - I prefer the older one. The newer one is thicker, so I add water to it and it's much better now.

I'm still not that convinced that my hair likes or loves -cones but I think my hair tolerates -cones better when it is stable, balanced and doing well. I think -cones just further complicate a head that's already having issues (or that was my experience). I really try not to use -cones until I'm either flat ironing or roller setting, basically, during the styling step. I have a few conditioners with one or two -cones. I will use those up and will likely look not to repurchase.

I prefer to use cones if I'm heat styling with a blow drier or flat iron. On a regular basics I prefer not to use cones.

I recently blundered into being cone-free with an all natural regimen and my hair has never looked so good.

I'm still shocked. I NEVER would've believed it possible and had no intention of trying it.

Until one day I reviewed my regimen and realized I was cone-free.

I'm not anti-cone, but this has certainly opened my eyes to the world of cone-free products and regimens.

I'm a cone head! When I want control it is cones all the way. Most of the time I want control because my hair can get really big like those Chaka Khan and Diana Ross wigs. Don't want that on a regular basis. My hair also is fine without cones. At least until day 3. Then I have to add a few things (like cones) to keep it in check.
Cones also provide me with easily detangled hair. I can get this without cones, but it depends on the product. Best of all, cones provide my hair candy to be seen. My Chaka hair will swallow up some barrettes! I wash regularly, so removing cones is a non-issue.

Back