Is this true about cones?

Gaea

I read on the board that after you apply cones to your hair, you'd have to wash your hair in order to moisturize it again.

The cones would block anything from getting in your hair.

I thought that a BUILD UP of cones would do this, not a one time application. I mean my leave in and moistiurizer have cones in it.

Hmm... I don't have this problem and I use cones all the time. When I pull my hair back I first put on a cone then top it off w/PM foaming pomade. I never have a problem w/moisture.

Maybe they DO mean a buildup? I dunno.
look.gif

It may depend on the individual hair (as so many things do!). I have 4b relaxed hair and 'cones dries out my hair, period. I try to limit my use of products have are loaded with 'cones and have had to do serious detective work to find the various names that are used for 'cones -- there are some that do not end in 'cones. I can get away with products that have small amounts in shampoos and washout conditioners, but when I use leave-ins with 'cones, they dry out my hair. Over time, I slowly began to realize this because the 'cones do make my hair feel like silk immediately AND split and/or dry ends appear to be "repaired". However, this is a quick fix and repeated use caused me more problems and the thing for me was that it took months for me to figure out that it was the 'cones -- it was very subtle because the products seem to work at first. I will try a shampoo or wash out conditioner that has 'cones, but I RUN from leave-ins that has 'cones listed high up the ingredients list.

There's a book call "Curly Girl" by Massey that explains how and why 'cones may cause problems over time.

Common 'Cones Snynonyms: Cyclopentasiloxane, Propyldimethicone, Hexamethyldisiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethoxysilicate (there may be more, but these are the ones I'm aware of . . . . )

[ QUOTE ]
Neroli said:

There's a book call "Curly Girl" by Massey that explains how and why 'cones may cause problems over time.

Common 'Cones Snynonyms: Cyclopentasiloxane, Propyldimethicone, Hexamethyldisiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethoxysilicate (there may be more, but these are the ones I'm aware of . . . . )

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for listing these! I'm trying to limit my use of cones since I'm in transition. I know that most conditioners contain them...but I don't want to over do it. I will also pick up a copy of this book.
smile.gif
Adding to favs.

Back