True or False? -Cones can only be removed by sulfates.

Cones can only be removed by sulfates.

• True Statement

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • False Statement

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

*Muffin*

I've heard the statement that cones can only be removed with sulfates. My hair doesn't like cones (over time they make my hair dry). But this week-end I visited a friend and I forgot to bring my conditioner, so I had to use hers. Can you get rid of cones using vinegar or baking soda rinses or are sulfates the only road?

Only sulfates removes cones. Baking soda and acv will remove dirt and other forms of buildup, but not cones. You have to get a clarifying shampoo to remove cones.

ok....sorry to go off the subject, but what are cones, where are they found, and why are they bad for your hair?

-Cones are organic compounds that are derived from silica (silicone). It serves as an emollient in cosmetics products. They are said to improve the manageability of your hair by forming a thin layer over your hair, making it feel smoother. It's also said to reduce hair static and reducing flyaways, but some people experience hair dryness over time with it because it can prevent moisture from getting in, but I don't believe cones are bad for everyone.

-Cones are organic compounds that are derived from silica (silicone). It serves as an emollient in cosmetics products. They are said to improve the manageability of your hair by forming a thin layer over your hair, making it feel smoother. It's also said to reduce hair static and reducing flyaways, but some people experience hair dryness over time with it because it can prevent moisture from getting in, but I don't believe cones are bad for everyone.

Thank you!!

ok....sorry to go off the subject, but what are cones, where are they found, and why are they bad for your hair?

Cones are dimethicone silicone, stuff in hair products that end in "cone". The make god hair manageable and smooth and gives "slip" to the hair.

Some people think they are bad because they coat the hair and have to be removed with sulfate shampoos, because if you don't remove them, your hair products won't work their best. People that don't like cones tend to be the people that doesn't like using sulfates.

I love cones. They make my hair feel great. I just use a clarifying shampoo once a month to remove the buildup.

I think my hair will be all right. I just checked out this website http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Your-Hair-Without-Shampoo and they said as long as your shampoo or conditioner contains "PEG" in front of the -cone that makes the cone water-soluble and it won't cause build-up.

Side-note: The article was written by Lorraine Massey, author of Curly Girl Handbook. Love that book, lol.

I think it depends on the individual's hair...Personally my hair never received a slip with cones after I got out of the shower...My hair felt great..under the water in the shower..but as soon as the air hit it..my hair would be so dry....and it was never moisturized...and I was dc'ing and baggying 2-3x a week...when I stopped using cones...my hair totally changed..I never have to baggy..and only dc once a week...and my hair has never been more moisturized!

BTW - My mother's hair thrives on cones...

As always.."What works for some may not work for others..."

Last edited:
depends on the type of cone. some cones are water soluble and only require water to be removed. I use products with cones and rinse with bs once a week before starting my wash regimen to gently clarify with. since bs is alkaline substance it allows the cuticle to swell and for deep cleaning to take place. when followed up by my normal cleanser (wen), my hair stays free from cone build-up!!!

BTW: I only use shampoo when I receive my touch-up 2-3 times a year and I have yet to experience build-up.

I chose other.... because there are some water-soluble cones. But I think that the non-soluble cones can only be removed by using specific cleansing agents.
Have a look at these webpages:
http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/cones.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones
hth

Thanks for the links, especially the second one. I favorited it. It's good to know which cones can be removed just with water or conditioner washing and which ones need a surfectant.

Back