Combs - Relaxed Ladies APL+

What Kind of Comb do you Use (Relaxed APL+)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Junebug D

This is a poll for relaxed ladies who have achieved APL or longer. What kind of comb do you use? I know there's a lot of debate about this subject, I just want to see what people are experiencing success with. :yep: I am most interested in what you use for day to day styling.

taz007

I am grazing APL and I use a seamless comb (Honeyfig.com) and the Jilbere combs.

I don't comb my hair daily unless it is freshly straightened.

simplyhair

I use hard rubber combs by Hercules Sagemann (Magic Star Jumbo Rake, Contour and a wide tooth tail comb http://hotcombs.net). I leave my hair alone and keep it in a bun all day. Therefore, I only use my combs on wash day as a shower comb and with leave-ins.

I've had my combs for over six years and they have attributed to minimal hair loss and breakage/split ends.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I dont comb my hair alot at all. I usually finger comb, but when I do comb its in the shower under running water with conditioner using my shower comb.

NikkiGirl

I am almost BSL. I will post a new pic soon. But I only comb in the shower with my Jibere Shower Comb. Other than that, it is finger combing for me.

Junebug D

For those who don't comb often, how do you keep your bun looking neat overnight? Do you worry about breakage from sleeping in it? Do you use gel or something to keep it sculpted?

BeautifulFlower

I dont think you have this up there but I also use a fine tooth comb. I use this for styling and knotted detangling. I use majority wide tooth combs but the fine tooth combs get the shred hair out better than wide tooth. For my hair, if I dont get those shreds out, it can spell knots and tangles for my hair after a week or week n a half.

simplyhair

For those who don't comb often, how do you keep your bun looking neat overnight? Do you worry about breakage from sleeping in it? Do you use gel or something to keep it sculpted?

Well, for me, I moisturize at night. So, I just smooth my hair with my hands. I wear a sleepcap to bed but it's not fitted or anything. My buns look pretty fresh by the morning. If not, I just fix the edges a little. I'm at home all day with the kids so it doesn't have that much weight for me.

NikkiGirl

I moisturize, seal and then tie down with a scarf. But I am relaxed so that helps with it being smooth. I am transitioning, so as my curls grow in I will have to change up my regi. :grin:

BeautifulFlower

The key to keeping it looking neat is a very soft boar bristle brush. Tie with a scraf. Light strokes on the top of your hair and pull back. You should let your hair down at night to moisturizer and seal. Use a needle nose bottle to apply moisturize to roots if you dont want to part the hair.

simplyhair

I dont think you have this up there but I also use a fine tooth comb. I use this for styling and knotted detangling. I use majority wide tooth combs but the fine tooth combs get the shred hair out better than wide tooth. For my hair, if I dont get those shreds out, it can spell knots and tangles for my hair after a week or week n a half.

Totally agree with this.

Reecie

When bunning, I use a boar bristle brush to slick my edges back. If my hair is moisturized and conditioned, it is easy to keep the ends looking neat because it is pinned up. In the morning, I may do a light comb through with a wide tooth comb or my fingers and put it back in my bun. It is very easy to manipulate the ends of your hair while protective styling. :yep:

taz007

I have been wearing my hair in cornrows under a half wig. When I take the wig off I look like a busted-up-gangsta-wanna-be. :look:

SuchMagnificent

Taking a Break from Posting
I use my fingers to detangle, a rat tail comb to part my hair and get the wrap started and a wide tooth comb to actually wrap my hair. I have to comb daily when Im wearing my hair out or its tangle city...

MilkChocolateOne

goody so gelous detangling comb (for detangling damp hair and combing dry hair)

k cuttter comb (for combing dry hair)

cricket silkombs (parting and roller setting)

ace comb (parting and roller setting)

I own five bone combs but i don't use them often, they snag my hair.

ETA:

I no longer use the combs listed above, I use creative handmade tortoise combs in a variety of sizes, they are seamless with rounded tips.
Combs / Home - Creative Hair Tools

Last edited:

tnorenberg

Only bone combs touch my hair...period! I've been using one since I joined the board in '06. I even use it as my shower comb because the Jilbere shower combs, to me anyway, were worthless for detangling.

sunnieb

I comb everyday!!

I have 4 combs: General wide tooth, fine tooth, wide tooth w/skinny handle, and wide tooth shower comb.

General wide tooth - this is my daily styling tool. I use it to comb the body of my hair (never the new growth) after moisturizing and sealing.

Fine tooth - I also use this everyday for my ends only after I put moisturizer on them. The fine tooth comb removes any shed hair that may be lurking there and also gives my ends a smooth look. After a wash/cowash, I use my fine tooth comb after I've applied my leave-ins, but before I put on my scarf to airdry. I use it on my front edges only to smooth them down for a sleeker look once dry.

Wide tooth shower comb - used in the shower as I comb out conditioner.

Wide tooth w/skinny handle - I only use this comb after I wash/cowash to put my daily part in my hair. The skinny handle is perfect to get through tough/wet newgrowth.

Last edited:

dachsies_rule!

Up to now, I had been using generic combs ranging from wide to medium teeth. But, last week i bought some bone combs from www.hairsense.com. I comb my hair everyday, sometimes more than once a day because it tangle easily on the ends.

MizzCoco

I'm almost APL, about 1 inch away, and up until now I used a Jilbere shower comb for daily styling and detangling and a generic rattail for rollersetting. I just recieved my Hercules Sageman seamless wide tooth comb and rattail, so hopefully it will help my retention even more.

camilla

I am about hmmm:rolleyes: bsl about a half inch shy but i am claiming it:lachen::lachen:

wide tooth daily if i am wearing wrap. or paddle brush

jibre shower to detangle and comb through conditioner

fine tooth for roller sets or smooth ends lightly

PS I do not think combing hinders gwowth i think being heavy handed,rough and impatient when detangling does:yep:

Last edited:

MissLawyerLady

I have 2 seamless Mason Pearson combs and they are the only combs I use to comb- even in the shower. I've started taking them to my stylist on relaxer days for her to use, cause her combs have visible seams and really rip my hair out.

I only comb on wash days or when my hair is just relaxed. HTH

EbonyCPrincess

1-2" from BSL - Jibere Wide Tooth comb, sometimes a small bone comb when rollersetting. After a fresh relaxer though I don't have to use a comb at all if wearing a braidout.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm roughly APL. I use a shower comb or a wide tooth comb purchased from the BSS. I comb on wash days and occasionally mid week. I now detangle while dry so the shower comb is not required as much as when I was detangling while wet. I finger comb a lot too. I brush my hair more than anything. :look: I brush the crown of my hair to smooth the hair into a bun.