clarify/chelate/detox

newflowers

My question is - what is the difference between these - specifically between chelating and detoxing? :perplexed

For instance - Aloe Rid is a clarifying shampoo that will remove product buildup from the hair.

Aveda, Icon, and Ojon have a detox shampoo - is this like chelating which removes product buildup AND mineral deposits as a result of hard water? The Ojon also states that using the detox shampoo is good before using the restorative treatment - so before a deep conditioner?

I think this is the way it works, but I'm not sure. I want to make sure I have this part of my learning/research straight.

These are the products I know - what others are you using that you particularly like for these purposes?

Illumination please.

Hey guys. I can only speak on what these do for my hair. I have chlorine and mineral deposits in my water. Most simple clarifiers don't help with this problem. I need chelating detoxifying shampoos with EVERY wash. Otherwise my hair gets dry, brassy looking, and hard. No conditioner helps!!!!

I need the right combo of citric acid and chelaters (EDTA) to keep my hair in tact. I have to use one everytime followed by a moisturizing shampoo(I try to still only use those with EDTA).

Most shampoos actually do have citric acid and EDTA, though. The only time I actually had a problem was when I used Keracare 1st lather which is not chelating at all. ACV helps a little, but it is not chelating for me.

Also, I think that my no-lye relaxers that contain calcium don't help.

Anyway, without chelating/detoxifying shampoos, my hair is in bad shape.

For the most parts I believe that chelators and detoxers are basically the same. Some companies like Aveda for instance call theirs detoxers where else another company like Joico or Redken calls theirs chelators. Now a clarifier is a whole lot milder than the other. Shampoos designed to clarify basically removes things from the surface on the hair. Like product buildup from creams or oils that you made you use within the week to keep your hair moist and shiny.

Chealators/Detoxifiers on the other hand go and work at a deeper level. These are best for swimmers, those who live in areas with hard water, or who take medications that may damage the hair. They are designed to remove chlorine and calcium buildup. They can even remove dangerous mineral deposits that are left behind from relaxers or other chemical process.

The main thing is that clarifiers only remove surface dirt where else chelators penetrate the hair shaft to remove damaging mineral deposits and buildup.

Thank you HoneyDew and Adrian.

Question - do you use a detoxifier or chelator after your relaxer? If so, do you see benefits - hair better able to apsorb conditioners, etc.?

What brand(s) do you use?

I have never used one in my relaxing process if that's what you mean. I usually use mine the week after I relaxed my hair and then maybe every two or three weeks. I use Redken's Cleansing Cream. It's a shampoo. I wash my hair about twice a week. With those washes I use Keracare 1 st lather. It's a clarifier then I follow up with a moisturizing shampoo for my final sudsing.

newflowers said:
Thank you HoneyDew and Adrian.

Question - do you use a detoxifier or chelator after your relaxer? If so, do you see benefits - hair better able to apsorb conditioners, etc.?

What brand(s) do you use?

I do. But, again it is because of my water quality.

Thank you very much for your input. I too have very hard water and very old pipes through which it runs. Additionally, I think I am going to try the Ojon Restorative Treatment which recommends using the detoxifier first.

newflowers said:
Thank you very much for your input. I too have very hard water and very old pipes through which it runs. Additionally, I think I am going to try the Ojon Restorative Treatment which recommends using the detoxifier first.

Alright. That sounds like a good idea.

newflowers said:

I think my problem is old pipes, as well. My area according to the Water quality maps shows that I should not have a hard water problem, but I have had all kinds of skin and hair problems. It also effects my laundry and the hardware in my kitchen and bathrooms. I did do a water quality test and found out that my water is hard, but I don't like using softened water. Oh well, as long as they make chelating shampoos, I will be alright. :)

i agree with the PPs. My hair loves both suave and kenra clarifying but there is a big difference after using suave exclusively. I get flakes and it stops working and sometimes it just sits on my hair. But with Kenra, im good to go.

sunbasque said:
i agree with the PPs. My hair loves both suave and kenra clarifying but there is a big difference after using suave exclusively. I get flakes and it stops working and sometimes it just sits on my hair. But with Kenra, im good to go.

Isn't it some good stuff!! I love this shampoo.

Once, before I realized my water problem, I switched to Keracare 1st lather. About 3 shampoos in, my hair started TRIPPIN'. One single shampoo with the Keracare made my hair feel totally normal. That's actually when I put two and two together and realized I have this water issue and also that not just any ol' shampoo labeled as a clarifying for good enough for me.

I use the Ojon detoxifier. I love it. It removes buildup without drying out the hair.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm going to give it a try. I still love my phtyo products, but there are so many new ones I've learned about here, I'm planning to try a few and see how it goes.

But with Kenra, im good to go.
not just any ol' shampoo labeled as a clarifying for good enough for me.

I agree with you absolutely. I find that I can buy cheaper products and they may work for a minute or two, but paying for quality using ends in consistent quality results. Sometimes, I don't even realize it until I go back and find that I have much better results.

I can get sample sizes of the Ojon, Redken, and Aveda. I'll give them a ry over the next couple of months and see which I like best.

Ladies, thank you very much. I really appreciate your help as I try to nail down the changes I wish to make for hair care.

Back