Calling All Natural Hair Sister

I love conditioner washes!! I've been doing them for a year consistanly and I LOVE them. They have really helped my hair. Now that I am wearing extensions again, I wash my hair with shampoo once a month and that is on the FIRST day of my braids to get all the chemicals out.

I love curl activator! My hair stays soft, so I don't search for the "next best thing" now.

Combing my hair while wet has also saved my hair. Easier to comb, not fighting tangles.

I can't think of anything more....

<font color="red">What have you found the advantages and disadvantages of becoming natural are?</font>
Advantages: The large variety of styling options, no chemical damage to self (scalp, hair and nails when I didn't wear gloves), money saved on kits or professional relaxers, I truly think I look better with the hair God gave me, I am being a good role model for my daughter (I don't want her feeling that she has to "fix" her hair, and IMO it's not enough to just say it.)
Disadvantages: If I don't braid, twist or knot my hair at night, I have a helmet on my head in the morning.

<font color="red">Have people's attitudes towards your beauty changed?</font>
Not that I've noticed.

<font color="red">What made you decide to be natural?</font>
My daughter really. I was pressing her hair, and she asked me why she had to have her hair pressed. I went into this long story about how I used to have my hair pressed and my mom used to have her hair pressed and I understand that she doesn't like it, I didn't either.
nuts.gif
I realized how foolish I sounded trying to convince my daughter that pressing is necessary because of a family tradition, an unpleasant tradition at that... I haven't pressed her hair since. I thought more and more about that chain of straightening in my family and decided I wanted to break out of it too. There were also the politics behind relaxing and a desire to be more healthful that led me to my decision to "go natural".

<font color="red">Do you think that you're views have changed since you have become natural? </font>
Definitely. I'm more conscientious during my decision-making processes. I try to make sure I'm acting upon my own decisions, not archaic tradition.

<font color="red">Are you more health-conscious now that you are natural?</font>
I am more health-conscious, but being natural is a result of my desire to live more healthfully, not the other way around.

<font color="red">Did you feel self-conscious during the transition?</font>
No.

I really enjoy being natural, and I miss doing my CW, my hair was braided for a few days, and looks really good, when I took it out, I dont know if it is the TEXAS heat, I think so, that give it a shiny,
grin.gif
but I am really enjoy the look, I dont know what natural style I will wear later
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to chime in late, but I had to add my view on things.

My choice to go natural was after 6 months of contemplating. Yes, it was a political, personal, and spirital choice for me. In my opinion, anything that goes against the 'accepted' status quo is.

My mom has shown her true colors since I've been natural. Hinting that I should go back to the perm when it comes time to looking for a job once I graduate in May of next year...
cry3.gif
That hurt big time because it came from my mom's own oppressed mouth. I thought she would at least embrace my choice based on the grounds that I'm her daughter and she loves me unconditionally.

On the flip side, my dad has been supportive. He jokes with me in a positive manner about it all the time. He's been really sweet about it, showing me pictures of the big ol' natural he sported back in the 70s.

Men, on the other hand have been really supportive. They like the idea of being involved with a sistah who sticks out from the crowd because she's not afraid to be who God made her to be.
antlers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU JUST GO AHEAD AND BLOSSOM....lol
daisy2.gif

...that goes for everyone on the journey to freedom.

HOW IS EVERYONE COPING WITH THE RAIN LOL!

Do you change your routine for the Winter?
I think I might stop the daily rinsing and go with the spritzing for a while....

maybe it can be done at night, I am just spraying my hair with IN23,and some oils mixed in a spray bottle,I am doing buns now that I know I can put my hair in one
laugh.gif
but I have to take it down in order to get my hair moist enough, I still really dont have a regime, but I do plan to go back to DW or CW, daily if I can help it winter does not seem to last too long in TX
smile.gif
plz of luck

am staying away from Alma
naughty.gif
, everytime I see ur album it makes me want too run out and get locks
lachen70.gif
i love ur hair
smile.gif
ur hair beautiful, I am doing DW(Daily wetting not washing) My hair is okay, trying to pay attetion to how things affect it, am enjoying VO5, never thought I would be using it, I dont have a bun and am out of braid, but plan too wear my hair braid when am ready, got some growth very happy about, cant wait get more my regime is alot more simple and am enjoying it, but am having some dry hair, and thinner strands, lack of volume, and my hair is not as strong as I want it,I hope all the other naturals are having a great hair success,
wave.gif

I want to thank all you natural haired sisters for sharing your valuable advice on taking care of natural hair.

I am in the process of transitioning. Ten weeks post today - I just don't have the heart nor desire to relax my hair again. I have grown tired of the drama of inconsistent relaxers and scalp burns. I wanted to do this two years ago, but tripped on what people would think, etc., etc. All for not, I don't even care now.

I don't plan on big chopping yet, I don't want to use heat or do I want to braid - even though I may quickly change my mind on that option as my hair grows out. The only issue I see right now is finding suitable styles that work for me and that comes with experimenting.

Again thanks so much for sharing.

How did I miss this thread?

Wonderful comments.

I became natural for many of the reasons that AFS stated. I plan to stay natural because I have learned to love my natural hair.

It took 30 something years to get to that frame of mind because I was always taught that my hair was "bad hair". It needed to be "fixed" with a perm or a hot comb.

I have since learned that I was told a lie.

I was obviously in a great mindset...because my family has not been outwardly supportive from the beginning...but it has not dampened my enthusiasm or my desire to wear my hair as it naturally is.

I realised that I could not go on relaxing my hair, it wasn't working for me and achieving shoulder length, was a nightmare, every time, my back hair grew, thin ends. Since I have been natural for nearly 2 years and 6 months. My hair is the healthiest than it has even been and I simply rinse it daily, which so great. I don't have pay hairdressers to damage my hair, my scalp, I also had sore scalps and I don't have to visit the hairdresser.

Do you find that you are getting more growth per month as a natural, and that your hair is consistent in thickness from root to tip with less dryness? Bonjour

I have cut right back on the vitamins...just wasn't feeling too well anymore and I think I was overloaded. Then I had the big bad biotin breakout smack in the middle of my forehead and that was the proverbial straw! I am focusing more on healthy diet and keeping active and positive minded. I need to drink more water, kind of slacking off there. Bonjour

Hi ya'll

I just noticed that the 'better locks" i've been using to define my twists has petroleum as the first ingredient. Any suggestion on what I can subsitute it for? I need something that will hold.

Also, what brand of Shea butter do I buy? so far I have found products with shea butter in it, but nothing that is 100%

thanks, love to all ya'll

I have been natural for nearly three years and 5 months now, and I have found that keeping your hair moisturised with water and glycerine and rosewater, keeps your hair very soft indeed.

My advice:

Don't be afraid of water, it can be the BEST moisturizer ever

Don't get caught up in how long your hair looks, get caught up in how healthy you, your body, and your hair is

Don't get caught up in "what type" of hair you have,just be happy that it's thanking you for not hurting it.

Try to work w/ your shrinkage.On a hot day it can be your best friend

Learn to love you from the inside out. It will make your natural journey a whole lot easier, when you are feeling bad,down or anything but positive about your hair.

Learn about how to care for your natural hair. READ books, don't just do whatever everyone else is doing. It might not work for you, and you can be out a lot of cash just to find that out!

CONGRATS on your decision to go natural, and welcome to our naptual clique! :)

(bumping to add to favorites)

Congrats Integrity on going natural! Hope you're able to get any advice you may need. Enjoy the journey! :)

Back