Calling All Natural Hair Sister

What have you found the advantages and disadvantages of becoming natural are?

Advantages:
- I'm much more at peace with my hair; I was perpetually tense when it came to my relaxed (then wave nouveau'ed then texturized) hair. I didn't realize this while perming, but once I stopped I was flooded with such relief.
- My hair and scalp are now in excellent condition.
- My hair is much more versatile and a joy for me to work with, when I'm not being lazy
wink.gif

- I think about hair a LOT less now that I know how to take care of my hair.

Naturally nappy curls and waves can have a steep learning curve if it's a new experience. However, once one gets over that hump, it's smooth sailing. It does take commitment, research and a genuine appreciation, and can therefore be character building for many people.

Disadvantages:
None so far, and it's been 5.5 years.

Have people's attituda towards your beauty changed?

I get compliments and big smiles regularly, especially when I wear:
1. flat twists and twists
2. "top of the head" pony puffs
3. my big fro

It's nice to get compliments, but I've never been the type to care that much. My inner peace, and personal sense of style and beauty, matter much more to me.

What made you decide to be natural?

A myriad of reasons...
- My hair looked like a poor imitation of naturally straight hair to me.
- I dreaded washing and styling my hair. I always felt I would do something to screw it up, causing it fall out, so I went to a stylist as much as possible while resenting the expense and dependency.
- My scalp is sensitive. I saw no real advantage to keeping up the torture.
- Ignorant stylists.
- I've always loved the look of nappy hair, I just had no idea how to style and care for mine beyond my childhood routine of cornrows, plaits and grease. I was fed up enough that I figured I would just have to learn, one way or another (this was pre hair boards).

I am in agreement with so many comments on this thread!

Natural hair is beautiful and manageable, forget what ya heard!
smile.gif

All i can do is agree with all the other comments, because to date I can't find anything bad about it. I am actually getting very good at taking care of it, because in the last few months I have gotten so many compliments. I have had people stop me in stores and ask me who did my hair, or how I did it. I am happy that it works, and others appreciate it too.

WOW,

LOVIN' THE POSITIVE FEEDBACK!

HOW ABOUT POSTING UP YOUR PICS TOO!... <font color="red"> </font>

Afterall, this is a thread to celebrate you...
bouncy.gif
...blossom
rosebud.gif

what deep conditioners do most you sister us on your hair?

I have the ic fanastia aloe deep conditioner and UBH deep condtioner. I have been napptural for about 3 months and I trying to keep mositure. the UBH doesn't work for my hair anymore I guess my hair doesn't need the protein strengh like it did when I was permed, nothing to really reconstruct since I don't use heat or chemicals.

So I'm taking product or homemade suggestions for deep mosituring condtioners for 4a/b hair.

Do hot oils treamets a spre shampoos really help keep moisture too?

thanks

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Water is my ultimate moisture...

Apart from that, I love Sunsilk's daily conditioner.

For the scalp:
*Dark and Lovely Naturally, Almond Rain Mist Oil -with 3 drop Rosemary, 3 drops Tea Tree essential oils.

For a whole day in conditioner:
Full Fat Mayo and olive oil (couple of hours in a plastic cap...)
Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil Shampoo-from The Body Shop

I don't like using many products coz it leaves my hair dull.

This is a very encouraging thread. Gosh, I can't wait to be rid of this perm.
smile.gif

Question for those who've transitioned from permed to natural: How long did it take to grow a TWA or for those who have it, a B.A.A.?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Sally's generic Joico K-Pak and RX Professional Prescription Super Protein Pac for regular protein conditioning. LeKair Cholesterol, Tropical Avocado and Nature's Gate Herbal Conditioner are the moisturizing conditioners I use most.

[ QUOTE ]
Do hot oils treamets a spre shampoos really help keep moisture too?

[/ QUOTE ]

They helped me with tangles. I don't need pre-poo oil treatments since I started doing daily cond washes.

[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

Question for those who've transitioned from permed to natural: How long did it take to grow a TWA or for those who have it, a B.A.A.?

[/ QUOTE ]

CHECK THIS SITE OUT:
http://www.nappturality.com/transit.htm

I always tell people to give your hair around 6 months...its a healing process too...
Let the scalp and new growth heal and grow strong.

THE FOLLOWING ARE ONLY THINGS THAT HAPPEND TO ME IN THE PAST WHEN I USED TO PERM MY HAIR. I REALIZE THAT THESE THINGS DO NOT HAPPEN TO EVERYONE.

ADVANTAGES:
NO chemical burns.
NO split ends.
NO scabs.
NO broken off hair.
NO thin edges.
NO thin ends.
NO overlapping relaxer damage.
NO being a slave to my beautician.
NO hair that looks like it is never growing because it is breaking off.
NO walking around with that funky perm smell on relaxer day.
NO sitting under the dryer for 2 1/2 hours just for a wrap.
NO burning my forehead with curling irons.
NO fear of rain messing up my roller set.
NO oozing scalp (this happened twice).
NO being afraid to wash my hair too close to relaxer day.
NO being afraid to scratch my scalp too close to relaxer day.
NO sitting in the chair sucking air in through my teeth while my scalp is on fire to make sure that my hair doesn't turn out underprocessed.
ETC... I got a million of these...let me know if you want to hear a few more.

DISADVANTAGES: I don't have "AFRO VISION" I can never see what's happening on the top of my head. I always get my hair caught in sunroofs. I often start styling my hair only to find a patch of hair with shampoo still in it.

Have people's attitudes towards your beauty changed?
People's attitudes have changed some but not very much. Straight hair is basically the standard of beauty. A lot of us still separate ourselves from each other by hair typing and "good hair" syndrome.

I got sick of frying my scalp!

twa- teeny weeny afro
baa- big
censored.gif
afro

this thread is very encouraging, and I agree with many of the comments posted.

Avdantages for me are:
no waiting and paying in salons
I get to handle my hair the way I want to
I run out in the rain now
my hair and scalp are definitely healthier

My one challenge is dealing with multi textures on my head

Hair gets caught it the sunroof too, and it's not even that long yet.

I don't know why, but men love to see women with natural hair. I work in the automotive field where I'm in constant contact with men all day. Whether I'm weaved, braided or natural, I get compliments. But when I'm natural it's like, "keep it like that".
My family is cool with it. I just influenced my lil cousin to do the big chop. Plus I have a few more who are natural.Women are like, oh you cut off all your hair(that's mostly where the attitude comes from). I went to a bss yesterday to pick up some CON shampoo, I had just taken out my twist extensions. I walked in and this silly girl who works there just looked at me with her mouth hanging open. I was like, hello and just went about my business

it just suits me. i was tired of being somebody else and i realized that I could only be and love me(naturally).

<font color="red"> [ QUOTE ]
Question time to all the natural people out there:

*What have you found the advantages and disadvantages of becoming natural are?

*Have people's attituda towards your beauty changed?

*What made you decide to be natural?

[/ QUOTE ]

AND
...More questions
trampoline.gif

Do you think that you're views have changed since you have become natural?

Are you more health-conscious now that you are natural?

Did you feel self-conscious during the transition?

</font>

*What have you found the advantages and disadvantages of becoming natural are?

ADS-
Learning to feel more confident within myself...to look into the mirror and know 'THIS IS ME!'.

DISADS-
I stopped relaxers in 1996, its been great ever since.
Looking into hair mags and not being able to relate to the pics anymore -it annoys me!

*Have people's attituda towards your beauty changed?

Not so much when I was natural, they got used to it. The locs were a shock, and I'm still getting sly comments about them now and again -thats life. I'm not here to please them.

*What made you decide to be natural?

To be in control, to break free and stop damaging myself.

*Do you think that you're views have changed since you have become natural?

Yes -I've got my eyes open now, as I've grown into a more conscious person.

*Are you more health-conscious now that you are natural?
Definately...I'm turning into a Holistic health freak
nuts.gif
Seriously though, its just a transformation to trying to be as natural all-round as possible. Nature is beautiful.
rosebud.gif

*Did you feel self-conscious during the transition?

I did -after I stopped wearing the extension braids and when I began the locs...I think it was just that unsure time when I was getting used to me again. I'm happy now..

Views about what? Maybe I don't understand the question... I'm still "me"--only my hair looks different.

Are you more health-conscious now that you are natural

Nah. I was always fairly health conscious as far as working out and eating right. I don't think I'll ever start eating Spelt or carrying my groceries in a burlap bag.
grin.gif

I am transitioning and I am self conscious. Not because my hair is nappy, though.
laugh.gif
I'm self conscious because I have a broken off, shorter spot in the crown area of my head. You can't style your hair when you don't have any in the middle.
ohwell.gif
Cutting it all to the same length is not an option--I don't like short hair on me. So I'll be sporting a fake afro puff for quite some time...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

CHECK THIS SITE OUT:
http://www.nappturality.com/transit.htm

I always tell people to give your hair around 6 months...its a healing process too...
Let the scalp and new growth heal and grow strong.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree you should give your hair about 6 months after giving up a relaxer.

I never had a TWA but I did have a short hair. It took me about a year to grow a big afro. It took me about a year and a half to grow a BAD A** AFRO. My hair album has pictures of my hair right after the big chop &amp; pics of my BAD A** AFRO.

Good luck on your transition!

[ QUOTE ]

Views about what? Maybe I don't understand the question... I'm still "me"--only my hair looks different.

[/ QUOTE ]

...I found that people who have become natural in hair, usually are on a personal journey of some importance to their spiritual/mental/physical knowledge...ofcourse, its not the same for everyone but thats why I asked...just to find out if it was a physical aspect, or if it ran deeper...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
well i think my views changed as i accpeted being natural. at first i was like uugggh can i some just for me please!! now i love my fro. makes me, me.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] naw but i am carful with what i put in my hair. i'm trying to learn more about ingrediants and what they do. but i think that is just from being on the board
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] i feel self concious all the time! lol but ne way my perm was more along the lines of a horrible texturizer. i think i was just mad that my afro puffs looked funny.

[ QUOTE ]
THE FOLLOWING ARE ONLY THINGS THAT HAPPEND TO ME IN THE PAST WHEN I USED TO PERM MY HAIR. I REALIZE THAT THESE THINGS DO NOT HAPPEN TO EVERYONE.

ADVANTAGES:
NO chemical burns.
NO split ends.
NO scabs.
NO broken off hair.
NO thin edges.
NO thin ends.
NO overlapping relaxer damage.
NO being a slave to my beautician.
NO hair that looks like it is never growing because it is breaking off.
NO walking around with that funky perm smell on relaxer day.
NO sitting under the dryer for 2 1/2 hours just for a wrap.
NO burning my forehead with curling irons.
NO fear of rain messing up my roller set.
NO oozing scalp (this happened twice).
NO being afraid to wash my hair too close to relaxer day.
NO being afraid to scratch my scalp too close to relaxer day.
NO sitting in the chair sucking air in through my teeth while my scalp is on fire to make sure that my hair doesn't turn out underprocessed.
ETC... I got a million of these...let me know if you want to hear a few more.

DISADVANTAGES: I don't have "AFRO VISION" I can never see what's happening on the top of my head. I always get my hair caught in sunroofs. I often start styling my hair only to find a patch of hair with shampoo still in it.

People's attitudes have changed some but not very much. Straight hair is basically the standard of beauty. A lot of us still separate ourselves from each other by hair typing and "good hair" syndrome.

I got sick of frying my scalp!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you said it all for me.Another thing that annoyed me was that silly andre system. It is just too limited to put black hair in 1 category. To me the dissadvantages outwayed the advantages regarding my relaxed hair. I wanted to become natural because i was tired of wasting my money on being a not so good immation of someone with naturally straight hair. I just wanted to be myself, regardless of what hair texture I had.

Relaxing my hair was more trouble than it was worth! I remember the silly excuses i said when i couldn't go out with friends "i can't go, my hair needs perming"
fishslap.gif
If my hair didn't look fresh then I weren't going anywhere. Thank god I gave it up
trampoline.gif

i love my hair
rosebud.gif
love.gif
love.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AND
...More questions
trampoline.gif

[/b] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes my views have changed drastically over the years. Until recently (this year) I was on a constant search to naturally soften (AKA texturize) my natural hair. I always looked at relaxing as another styling option. Now I am anti-relaxer. I hate perms because they contain wicked chemicals. I had the most trouble with my hair and scalp when I was relaxed.

Yes I am a lot more health-conscious. I am probably on my way to becoming a vegetarian. I stopped eating red meat and poultry years ago. Lately I have been using all natural products for my hair and skin.

I made two failed attempts to go natural in 1996. After my two failed attempts I was so determined to be rid of the chemicals that I was not self-conscious when I was transitioning. I just wanted that relaxer gone.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one of the biggest disadvantages of having natural hair is finding a stylist who can do different things and styles. Also, it is harder to get a trim with natural hair at least wtih my hair. I think people have changed their attitudes about natural hair care. IMO, I find that more Black people have a problem with natural hair than other people. The best advantage of natural hair is my hair is in great condition. Great condition! The texture has improved greately.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one of the biggest disadvantages of having natural hair is finding a stylist who can do different things and styles. Also, it is harder to get a trim with natural hair at least wtih my hair. I think people have changed their attitudes about natural hair care. IMO, I find that more Black people have a problem with natural hair than other people. The best advantage of natural hair is my hair is in great condition. Great condition! The texture has improved greately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it all depends on where your at... Alot of women are going au natural so alot of people are taking advantage of it and opening up salons with Natural hair care in mind..

There's def. more choices out there with natural hair..you can press it and wear it straight temporary or just natural all the time..

Im personally not anti-perm..I just didn't want the perm anymore.. If someone doesn't take time to treat their hair and take care of it themselves then It would just kill the whole point of going natural..IMO

I hate to chime in late, but I had to add my view on things.

My choice to go natural was after 6 months of contemplating. Yes, it was a political, personal, and spirital choice for me. In my opinion, anything that goes against the 'accepted' status quo is.

My mom has shown her true colors since I've been natural. Hinting that I should go back to the perm when it comes time to looking for a job once I graduate in May of next year...
cry3.gif
That hurt big time because it came from my mom's own oppressed mouth. I thought she would at least embrace my choice based on the grounds that I'm her daughter and she loves me unconditionally.

On the flip side, my dad has been supportive. He jokes with me in a positive manner about it all the time. He's been really sweet about it, showing me pictures of the big ol' natural he sported back in the 70s.

Men, on the other hand have been really supportive. They like the idea of being involved with a sistah who sticks out from the crowd because she's not afraid to be who God made her to be.
antlers.gif

FREEDOM! It was scarey at first, but now i'm getting use to it.

Advantage
No longer sitting for 6 hours to get braids and then 2 days of not being able to sleep, waiting for the braids to loosen up. No more sores from the braids ripping at my scalp. Allowing my hair to breath and be clean.
smile.gif

disadvantage-
None so far.

No change at all.
smile.gif

I just wanted to wear my natural hair. Every other race gets to wear their hair, so i thought, why can't i wear mine. Then i had to start doing research on HOW to wear my hair natural, because i was never taught. God bless the Internet. It has helped me a lot. Also the nappturality site.
smile.gif

Back