Braids 101 - GET READY FOR SUMMER!!!

Anashja

I am kinky twist braided for the summer. Had to drop the DC challenge though :nono: but only temporarily. So I need to know how to keep the scalp clean and moisturized.

Hairsofab

are there any tips to keeping synthetic kaneklon hair soft? Usually after a couple of weeks it gets dry and hard. I don't like putting to much product on it because it builds up.

coconow2007

are there any tips to keeping synthetic kaneklon hair soft? Usually after a couple of weeks it gets dry and hard. I don't like putting to much product on it because it builds up.

I dip my kaneklon braids in hot water. Your first dip should be done right after you put all your braids in with really hot water (boiled). This really smooths the hair down. Once a month I dip braids again usually after I have washed my braids.

Lucky's Mom

Prepping your hair before hand will keep them soft.

Re-read this post - and that should help:drunk:

Cloud06

Quick question-

If I have a wavy or curly kanekalon hair extension will dipping the hair in hot water AVC rinse destroy the the curl?

Oh one more please-
Does it matter if you do the AVC rinse for softness or can I still use it out the pack and keep lasting softness?

Lucky's Mom

Quick question-

If I have a wavy or curly kanekalon hair extension will dipping the hair in hot water AVC rinse destroy the the curl?

Oh one more please-
Does it matter if you do the AVC rinse for softness or can I still use it out the pack and keep lasting softness?

Usually not! The curl pattern will remain.

That is up to you. I don't use any braiding hair out of the package.

Casarela

Is anyone Braiding for the summer?

I am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will definetly do so ...ive red about washing the hair ion ACV but I heard it was for kanekalon ...Im wondering If I should do it with toyokalon hair...Im skurred it will lighten the hair as I go for the 1b look but ill still give it a try ...im getting my braids next week!!!!

Kelly210

I am also braiding for the summer. I just got my hair in individuals yesterday/early morning. I plan on redoing them in 6 weeks. I don't know how to braid so I can't redo the sides, back and the front. Does anyone know an infusium substitute? Preferably no more than $10.

baddison

natural for good
OK, moving on to boxbraids tonight. Maybe I can stay in these longer. Hopefully I will only need to replace the individual braids randomly from now 'til my Dec. '08 challenge is done. Do I still need to DC my hair regularly like I do in my regular regimen? Will braided hair DC properly??

LongHairDreams

OK, moving on to boxbraids tonight. Maybe I can stay in these longer. Hopefully I will only need to replace the individual braids randomly from now 'til my Dec. '08 challenge is done. Do I still need to DC my hair regularly like I do in my regular regimen? Will braided hair DC properly??

I'd like to know this also.

LaNecia

Yes I am. I get braids every year around this time.

I am gonna get some twist and keep them in for a year.

I plan on redoing my hair every 2 months alternating between the front and back half of my hair.

We are on the same plan, though I'm not sure if I'll make it a year (my initial goal it to make it 6 months. We'll see. I haven't had braids in about 4 years. I just installed Kinky twists on the 5th of July so I'm good for 6-8 weeks, I hope. It's my first pass at them, hope they get better. I used an afro bulk which had my hair 'big' so gradually after my move next week, I'll transition them to smaller twists but that's on a one by one basis so I'll look crazy until it's completed but oh well.

baddison

natural for good

THanks much samantha. This website is wonderful, and I keep forgetting its here. I have now bookmarked it to my favorites. I can't find specifically any reference to DC'ing w/heat while braids are still in the head. Just wondering if this is something I should continue to do, since it was part of my no-braid regimen. And then the second part of the question is whether my hair that is braided into the extensions will actually reap the benefits of DC'ing with heat, or will the kanekelon fiber take away any of the effectiveness.

samantha, do YOU personally DC with braids in?.....or do you just follow robin's C&G techniques of using diluted shampoo, then spray moisturizer into braids?

I really just want to do right by my growing hair. Thanks in advance/:spinning:

Lucky's Mom

THanks much samantha. This website is wonderful, and I keep forgetting its here. I have now bookmarked it to my favorites. I can't find specifically any reference to DC'ing w/heat while braids are still in the head. Just wondering if this is something I should continue to do, since it was part of my no-braid regimen. And then the second part of the question is whether my hair that is braided into the extensions will actually reap the benefits of DC'ing with heat, or will the kanekelon fiber take away any of the effectiveness.

samantha, do YOU personally DC with braids in?.....or do you just follow robin's C&G techniques of using diluted shampoo, then spray moisturizer into braids?

I really just want to do right by my growing hair. Thanks in advance/:spinning:

Hey honey bun. I try to treat my hair the same way in and out of braids. I know that sythetic can tend to suck moisture... so I still do DC's - However - I use diluted conditioner.... I just dilute my favorite a bit with distilled water. So yes.....I still use heat. I also am shampooing and spraying my hair with my homemade mixes more often!

I have learned this over time..... So I am no expert... but I will say that when your hair is in syn braids - you have to be even more diligent to keep moisture in the strands. Just don't use anything too heavy.

So - I would reccomend a light condish like Oyin Handmade and lots of homemade spritzes.... using a spray bottle ( not a misty bottle) and use a tint bottle for shampoos....

1. Use a tint bottle and use diluted shampoo. YOu can reach your scalp effectively.

2. pre poo with light or diluted condishes. I don't use carmel treatments, or other super heavy condishes whilst in braids.

3. DCing with heat is just fine.... Hot oils treats are great.

4. Spray your hair 2x a day.

5. If you want to baggie while in braids at night.... here is a link... http://public.fotki.com/samanthajones67/month-to-month-prog/product-reviews/

You may not need moisture in the AM if you do this!

Ivonnovi

Special thanks for the two tips below.
RE:Tip#2 I have microtwists with human hair, that's color treated. The lighter shades are very dry and dry looking. As I type I'm baggying; I'm also going to put a heatcap on for 30min, as I want to hurry up the moistuizing process.
RE: Tip#1 Sometime this weekend I'll use this to cleanse my scalp. Again, thank you for sharing.

1. Use a tint bottle and use diluted shampoo. YOu can reach your scalp effectively.

5. If you want to baggie while in braids at night.... here is a link... http://public.fotki.com/samanthajones67/month-to-month-prog/product-reviews/

You may not need moisture in the AM if you do this!

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

Special thanks for the two tips below.
RE:Tip#2 I have microtwists with human hair, that's color treated. The lighter shades are very dry and dry looking. As I type I'm baggying; I'm also going to put a heatcap on for 30min, as I want to hurry up the moistuizing process.
RE: Tip#1 Sometime this weekend I'll use this to cleanse my scalp. Again, thank you for sharing.

You are welcome! I use tint bottles in and out of braids.
:lick:

Anashja

Braids put back in on Tuesday :).... Hurray... now I sprayed scalp w/ a leave in condition - CD Tui Leave In, I have some Oyin Whipped Pudding for scalp, but that is like when my braids are ready come out scalp moisturizer. What do I put on NOW for a moisturizer...????

MizzBrown

My hair is starting to peek through my twists in the back! Why? What did i do wrong? I can see where my hair ends and the extension begins and i keep trying to slick it down.

camilla

I am bumping this for the winter braid wearers just put in this weekend i will try to post picts in the next few days