braided buddies I QUIT!

caramelty

I took those braids out of my head Thursday night and noticed that more hair than normal was coming out of my head I tried to stay calm until I got thru. I sprayed my hair with the unbraid hair spray it was soft and I was able to comb thru it since that was my problem the last time I took my braids down. Anyways after I got all the braids out I used a big comb and combed thru my hair and then preceded to wash it I used J/A/S/O/N poo and conditioner I also used the ORS replenishing pak my hair was soft I slept with the conditioner in my hair b/c I had a 9:00 appt at the Dominican salon. I was noticing as I was combing my hair that the length was not the same and the texture felt wirey. SO I get my hair done the next day and I am VERY DISSAPOINTED with the length of my hair. I let her rollerset and blow out that only lasted 2 days b/c now I am in a bun when I woke up this morning I took the scissors out and cut atleast 2 inches off I am very sad b/c now I don't even want to wear my hair down b/c it doesn't look the same it isn't as thick as it use to be and it is much shorter..........NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Super bowl is next weekend and I wanted to be all cute with my own hair swinging and things now it just doesn't feel the same........

imani97

I'm sorry, I don't have a suggestion. I haven't weaved or braided for this very reason. My hair just doesn't agree with it. :ohwell: I'm wishing you the best of luck though! I'm sure you'll get great advice.

sareca

Well that sucks! The same thing used to happen to me, but not since I started using crown and glory. Is that the regime you followed?

kristina

Sorry about your difficulties. I finally came to the same conclusion with braids with extensions. On the positive, you could always join my "no extensions or braids" challenge for 2006.

caramelty

I am sitting here watching girlfriends and I am loving TONI'S weave I think I will give that a try next week without any of my hair out.

Thanks ladies for the encouragement......I don't know what to do.

Phoenix

Braids really aren't for everybody. My hair has always done well in braids, but I've heard MANY braid horror stories.

beyondcute

You should try the Crown and Glory technique. Removing the alkali base in the weave and moisturizing the hair daily has cut donw my breakage to almost nothing... I would highly suggest trying it again using her techniques. Dont give up yet :) Wishing you luck in your hair endeavors

MissYocairis

(((((((Carmelty)))))))) :wave: I feel your pain. Look on the bright side.....Now you can start off with a nice, healthy trim and by May or June you will be back better than you were before. :rosebud: I am afraid of braids and weaves for this very reason. Too "touch and go" with the results.

Keen

caramelty said:
I am sitting here watching girlfriends and I am loving TONI'S weave I think I will give that a try next week without any of my hair out.

Thanks ladies for the encouragement......I don't know what to do.

What type of braids did you have? what size were they?

After I take down my braids, I usually swear off them. However, after I get a perm, I see the result, I jump right back on the braid bandwagon.

chellee

Do you have a pic of the aftermath of your braids experience? I just viewed your albumn for the first time and your hair is beautiful! I hope it hasn't set you back too far.

caramelty

I am sorry ladies I didn't take any pics b/c my camera was stolen I will try to take some with my phone when I get home. I had tyzillions and those HEFFAS tied the knot with my hair problem number 1 meaning they did not braid down far enough I am rocking a sock bun right now and I can see the sock that is how thin it is.

ayoung

Caramelty,
I am really sorry you had a bad experience w/ your braids! I do agree that braids may not be for everyone---but to hear that you had the tyzillions---I think the Crown & Glory Method may very well work for you. A lot of us are having good results w/ it!

I looked at your pics and I bet your hair will be back on track in no time whatever you decide to do. (((hugs)))

Last edited:

plainj

I too am sorry you're going thru this. Your hair is sooo pretty. You are an inspiration to me because I'm about to cut my hair as short as some of your earlier pictures. I'm hoping my hair will grow back as pretty as yours. I'm sure you'll get back on track soon.

beyondcute

Wow... yeah those little braids cause MAJOR problems if people put them in wrong. Ive actually heard of people puttin gnail glue at the ends so they wont slip out. Knots are not needed if the person puts them in correctly and neither is nail glue. Please done ever let anyone tie a knot in your hair anymore...

Neroli

caramelty said:
I am sorry ladies I didn't take any pics b/c my camera was stolen I will try to take some with my phone when I get home. I had tyzillions and those HEFFAS tied the knot with my hair problem number 1 meaning they did not braid down far enough I am rocking a sock bun right now and I can see the sock that is how thin it is.

I am sooo sorry about the hair loss with braids. I ALWAYS have great results with braids, but then again, I've braided professionally and know how to maintain and remove them myself. My suggestions should you chose to try braids again are to work with your braider so that you receive periodic maintenance from her -- you should go for a "wash and fix it" at least once a month, preferably, once every two weeks, if you cannot maintain the braids yourself. Also:

1. don't have them too small (micros are out for me, personally) -- make them at least pencil sized if they are single braids.
2. don't have them too tight. Enough said.
3. wash and rebraid the "perimeter" (front, temples and nape) at least every couple of weeks -- get your braider to redo for you if you can't do yourself. I would tell my clients to wash their fully braided hair at home and have them come to me that same day or the next and I would spend a couple of hours fixing and rebraiding any loose fuzzy braids for them for about $20. Your braider should give you a similar type deal if asked.
4. never, ever let anyone tie or glue braids/weave. If your braids must be tied and knotted, then don't attempt to take down yourself, go back to your braider and have her remove for your -- it is worth paying her rather than destroying your hair trying to remove yourself.

Good luck and hope you figure out something that will work for you soon. Keep us posted. . .

DragonPearl

beyondcute said:
Wow... yeah those little braids cause MAJOR problems if people put them in wrong. Ive actually heard of people puttin gnail glue at the ends so they wont slip out. Knots are not needed if the person puts them in correctly and neither is nail glue. Please done ever let anyone tie a knot in your hair anymore...

Co-signing. These things are very damaging to the hair.

MissYocairis

caramelty said:

:eek: :eek: :eek: THOSE are the ones my friend has been getting BACK to BACK to BACK for like, 9 months! Her hairline is almost completely GONE now and she swears her hair is "down her back" but I am not so sure how healthy it is from that.....plus her stylist touches her up too often and never gives her hair anytime in between sets of braids.

CurliDiva

caramelty said:
I took those braids out of my head Thursday night and noticed that more hair than normal was coming out of my head I tried to stay calm until I got thru. I sprayed my hair with the unbraid hair spray it was soft and I was able to comb thru it since that was my problem the last time I took my braids down. Anyways after I got all the braids out I used a big comb and combed thru my hair and then preceded to wash it I used J/A/S/O/N poo and conditioner I also used the ORS replenishing pak my hair was soft I slept with the conditioner in my hair b/c I had a 9:00 appt at the Dominican salon. I was noticing as I was combing my hair that the length was not the same and the texture felt wirey. SO I get my hair done the next day and I am VERY DISSAPOINTED with the length of my hair. I let her rollerset and blow out that only lasted 2 days b/c now I am in a bun when I woke up this morning I took the scissors out and cut atleast 2 inches off I am very sad b/c now I don't even want to wear my hair down b/c it doesn't look the same it isn't as thick as it use to be and it is much shorter..........NOW WHAT DO I DO?

Super bowl is next weekend and I wanted to be all cute with my own hair swinging and things now it just doesn't feel the same........

Hi Caramelty,

I am so sorry :( that braids did not work for you!

How long did you leave them in? What was your routine while in braids? Any different products?

I removed my braids after a month, because I discover that I HAVE TO wash my hair more often! But I used a modified crown & glory method and had no ill effects and easy removal.

How was you styling your hair before the braids? Try to deep condition more often and be extra gentle until your hair is restored.

I plan to rock a sew-in full weave, so I still consider myself a braided buddy!

Good luck! CD

CORBINS

I'm so sorry to hear that your experience was not good. I have honestly had some good experiences and bad experiences in the past. I think that consistency and care are very important. I guess you have to find a technique that works for your hair. I wish I could suggest something, it stinks to lose a braid buddy!

Healthb4Length

This is why I do not and will not ever advocate getting micro braids or tyzillions. They are damaging, I'm sorry you had to go through this. Please check out the crown and glory method, it really works. Here is the link www.growafrohairlong.com. Also I noticed in your post that you said you combed your hair with a wide tooth comb prior to shampoo, I only detangle with my fingers before I poo and then I really detangle when my hair is wet and loaded with conditioners. I know that braids are not for everyone but please check out the site because she does offer alternative methods to grow out your hair.

caramelty

Thanks for all the advice ladies I usually get good results from any type of braids also but my hair has never been this long when I got braids so I guess since I had length I should have just left the tyzillions alone. I am going to rock the bun teh rest of the week and then probable get a sew in this weekend or next.

_lovelyness

I'm sorry this happened to you.
Tyzillions and microbraids are definitely a BIIIIG nono !!!
I tried the microbraids once....it left me with two bald spots on my left temple ! I wanted to die !! now I do medium-size braids and my aunty has a way of doing them that makes it so easy to undo ! because she doesn't do them too tight, you just need to pull them off gently from the root, and swooosh ! off they come ! no breakage whatesoever. I think my aunty has a magic touch, because anytime she braids me, my hair experiences a growth spurt ! I also makes sure I spray the braids with african pride's braid spray. it makes my hair feels very soft.
HTH