Braided Buddies

onecharminglady said:
im in cornros and im using them to grow out my hair and they are working out just fine for me, i use braid spray, scurl, laid off the infusium, etc.

Why did you layoff the Infusium?:confused:

I am getting totally bored with my cornrows! :(

I've left them in for almost a month now because I got nail tips and will not re-braid until I cut these suckers down and get a fill-in.

I'm afaraid that my hair will not get caught on the fake nails.:(

I'm braided now...just got them in and will only have them for about 4 weeks. My own hair is braided into a mohawk style. I will spray daily with my hair mist (distilled water, surge, glycerin and hot 6 oil). I plan on washing them once a week with a cap so that I wont loose the style. I will also take down the middle once a week to apply surge oil on my scalp and apply profectiv to the ends.

tasha said:
I'm braided now...just got them in and will only have them for about 4 weeks. My own hair is braided into a mohawk style. I will spray daily with my hair mist (distilled water, surge, glycerin and hot 6 oil). I plan on washing them once a week with a cap so that I wont loose the style. I will also take down the middle once a week to apply surge oil on my scalp and apply profectiv to the ends.

I love the design of your braids!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

I'm braided up now for the start of the summer!!! I currently have cornrows that will last 3 weeks, then cornrow it up again for another 3 weeks, then maybe get boxbraids or 2 strand twists...not too sure yet.

One thing I am doing is everytime I take out my braids and CW, I do use Emergencee to stregthen my strands before braiding it up again. And I may do a few days before braiding it up again....

I would love to join!!! I have been wearing braids on and off for the past 10+ years and had really never been that concerned with my natural hair while wearing them. It wasn't until about 2-3 years ago that I realized how damaged my hair was and decided to do something about when I discovered this board. It would be wonderful to have others to share tips with and get advice from!!!!

I am braiding 2 rows of hair at back with about 3 dookie braids...although my hair is very fine textured, it is thick so I decided to make my braids box style but larger sectioned than usal. I am leaving the rest of my hair out in a variety of styles but will keep it well conditioned and moisturized. Shampoo once a week. Plan to leave the back in until September, and rebraid again. It is the best of both worlds for me because I am happy with how the front and top and sides are growing and I still get to feel my real hair. The back is slower so I will just let it be. Then I can compare the texture, strength, moisture and elasticity. Style will also involve the back part in a braided bun daily and moisturizing liquid and Infus. applied with sponge every day. I honestly think this is the only way I feel comfortable and I will not have any worry about my edges. I am really happy with my hairline now and do not want to mess it up. Oh, I braid the front top and sides up at night and do a braidout style. bonjour.

I put my braids in in Apirl and I"m taking them out in Nov.
so any help i can give is yours. :)

I'm sportin' dukeys right now. Here's my braided regimen:

• wash with diluted poo and Aveda DR every 2-3 days
  • drench in braid spray, aphogee keratin reconstructor, IC moisturizer concoction daily (usually at night)
  • oil w/ a Kemi, Amla, Cinnamin concoction weekly
  • drench in a creamy moisturizing concoction of Keracare Moisturizer and Aphogee mix as needed
  • MN after washing (once hair has dried)

Slightly off-topic - but naturals, do you blowdy before getting your hair braided? I understand it makes it easier for the braider, but is it harmful?
TIA

I would like to jump on in on this Braided Buddies thing, I want to see how long I can actually stretch while keeping my own hair braided up (nothing added) Plus I'm ready for a change of style, I'll be adding some wooden/larger beads or perm rods to make the ends curly, will see what I can jimmy up along the way of the journey. :)
Oh yeah, I think I'll be leaving mine in at 3wks at a time while pooing w/dilluted poo and steam DCing w/o that dang-on hot behind hooded dryer,lol, hot towel and shower cap once a wk, I'll spray w/Soft N Beautiful braid spray and add Hollywood Beauty Carrot oil cream to my ends, and my homemade hair cream to the scalp.

Last edited:
How is it going for everyone. I'm still on it, just a modified version. I wear twists for a few days and bun it for a few days. I've been really lazy this summer.

Hi ladies yes i would like to join in on this right now I have kinky twists in and have had them for a month. I think i'll wear them for another month and take them out and put micros in. Oh can somebody please tell me what the C&G method is?

Hey Ladies! I am new here and want to join up with you all. I have indivduals with kanekalon extenstions (sp?) I am also following Robin's method. Silke74 check out www.growafrohairlong.com for the C&G method. I have been wearing braids for years and could not figure out why my hair was in such bad condtion. This site lead me to Robins site and really opened my eyes :eek: I was not loving my hair like I should. I hope to nurse my hair back to health with C&G and of course the great ideas from this forum :cool:

I'm late but count me in. I just got my hair braided this pat Saturday. I am trying to growout my relaxer. I want to do it for 6-8 months then Big Chop and wear it natural. So braids are gonna be my style for the next six months. I currently have human afro kinky -like hair braided into my hair. My braids are short. Not sure how long they will last but I am gonna try to keep them at least to Thanksgiving hopefully December. I will be getting the perimeter redone.
Good Luck Ladies

Count me in ladies! I am getting yarn braids on Saturday and had a question:
-can I still do Robin's C&G method?

thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

I am wearing cornrows to grow out my texturizer. I plan on braiding my hair until around March.

Are you having good results with your braids?

I'm afraid that maybe I should let me hair rest in btwn. instead of unbraiding and then rebraiding the next day.

tishee said:

tishee

I've done yarn braids and C&G. :look:

I'm getting braids in about two weeks so I'll join as well!:D Right now I am rockin the sew-in and I plan to go back and forth between the sew-in and braids until next christmas. Prayerfully, then I'll have long enough new growth to do the BC.

Count me in! I had my Kinky Twist for a week and plan on removing then about the 2nd week of November (I hope it will last that long).

MonaRae

I'm with you ladies! Hair was braided in small individuals last week. Plan on keeping braids in for the next six months with rebraiding every two-three months. Daily braid spray, Infusion three x week, and weekly wash and conditioning with CON. This is the first time I've had braids in years!!! Can't wait to see the results!!:D

tishee said:

tishee

Hi Tishee,

I'm not sure, but please be careful about product build up. It may be harder to get the yarn clean.

Good luck! ;)

Alright, now here's a challenge I can definitely join! I've been keeping my hair braided throughout my transistion and plan to keep braiding until it's BSL. It has helped me grow out my hair and it even helped grow out my edges, believe it or not! My only thing is that I never let my hair rest in between braiding;I take them out the night before, wash and condition, and prepare it for the next day. So far it doesn't appear to have a negative effect on my hair, but I fear that it may later. But I'll definitely do the challenge!

StunningEssence said:
Alright, now here's a challenge I can definitely join! I've been keeping my hair braided throughout my transistion and plan to keep braiding until it's BSL. It has helped me grow out my hair and it even helped grow out my edges, believe it or not! My only thing is that I never let my hair rest in between braiding;I take them out the night before, wash and condition, and prepare it for the next day. So far it doesn't appear to have a negative effect on my hair, but I fear that it may later. But I'll definitely do the challenge!

I had planned the same braiding and re-braiding regimen for myself. I would also like to know what kind of damage, if any this will cause as well.

I'm wearing my own hair cornrolled and falls and wigs over them. I have had mine for a week and do no plan to take them out and have them redone unitl December. So I'll be a braid buddy. I'm also MTGing 4x a week and wash and deep conditioning once a week!

Back