Best Blow Dryer??????

I have a Sedu Revolution Pro Tourmaline Ionic TGR 4000i Hair Dryer. I don't use it much, but I really like it.

ok after my own research I am going to go with a yellow bird and hope for the best. I will start cheap and go expensive if need be. looks like I will have to order online but oh well, anyways, does anyone know if the yellow bird can blow dry the hair straight?

I don't know if the yellowbird gets hair really straight but I have a silverbird and it does really well. I've never tried to straighten my hair with it though.

ok after my own research I am going to go with a yellow bird and hope for the best. I will start cheap and go expensive if need be. looks like I will have to order online but oh well, anyways, does anyone know if the yellow bird can blow dry the hair straight?

If you want to use a blow dryer for straightening, you should use a ceramic blow dryer. From the reviews on the Sally's website, it looks like you would have to flat iron your hair after to get it straight.
Sally Beauty Conair Pro Yellow Bird 1875 Watt Hair Dryer Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

@Lovelylocs you Where are babybliss sold? I need a new blow dryer for Dominican blow outs but here is my worry,....It will be too good and too fast and dry my hair before I can get it straight...Can that happen? Did you have to buy the nozzle or did it come with it? If not how much was it separately? My main goal in a hair dryer is to get whichever one is lease likely to hurt my hair with repeated use..I am addicted to blow outs and while I seek help I need to protect my hair as much as possible....

@Lovelylocs you Where are babybliss sold? I need a new blow dryer for Dominican blow outs but here is my worry,....It will be too good and too fast and dry my hair before I can get it straight...Can that happen? Did you have to buy the nozzle or did it come with it? If not how much was it separately? My main goal in a hair dryer is to get whichever one is lease likely to hurt my hair with repeated use..I am addicted to blow outs and while I seek help I need to protect my hair as much as possible....

I got mine from folica.com about 2 years ago. I love it! It makes other blow dryers seem like child's play. It was $99. You could probably find it for less now.

With Dominican blow outs, your hair should be dry before you use the blow dryer. The length of my hair is usually straight and smooth from the roller set. I point my dryer from my roots to about an inch down the shaft, pulling the hair really taught with a round brush. It gets it straight with no problem.

When I use it to straighten my neice's hair or my sister's hair (both 4a naturals), I use it on wet hair. Again, it doesn't matter if it gets dry before it is bone straight. Just pull the dry hair taught and blow the taught section straight.

Does the blow drying dry hair concept make sense to you? Now that I think of it, I can understand how it would sound odd.

Yes, the nozzle comes with it. Be careful not to break the nozzle because I don't think Babyliss sells replacement parts.

I was on a budget and got the generic Chi blow dryer at Sally's. I like how LIGHT weight it is so my arms don't tire as fast. Combined with the good tutorials on Youtube by Salon Cabelo and Don't Speak Defeat, my 4b natural hair got so straight that I had to tell the ladies that were braiding me that my hair was natural. Granted I did flat iron after the blow dry. Now I'm relaxed again and when relaxed I don't blow dry coz I don't need to.

Also, the Babyliss dryer has to be the ceramic one. I've used the tourmaline one. I forget the exact name; it's my mother's. It doesn't work as well as the ceramic dryer.

My sister has a turbo, but not the ceramic one and it was good, but not as good as the ceramic.

Bottom Line: I think 4a/4b hair needs a ceramic dryer for the best straightening results.

I was on a budget and got the generic Chi blow dryer at Sally's. I like how LIGHT weight it is so my arms don't tire as fast. Combined with the good tutorials on Youtube by Salon Cabelo and Don't Speak Defeat, my 4b natural hair got so straight that I had to tell the ladies that were braiding me that my hair was natural. Granted I did flat iron after the blow dry. Now I'm relaxed again and when relaxed I don't blow dry coz I don't need to.

Yes, that's one of the benefits of a professional quality blow dryer. They are light weight because stylists have to hold them for long periods of time.

With Dominican blow outs, your hair should be dry before you use the blow dryer. The length of my hair is usually straight and smooth from the roller set. I point my dryer from my roots to about an inch down the shaft, pulling the hair really taught with a round brush. It gets it straight with no problem.

When I use it to straighten my neice's hair or my sister's hair (both 4a naturals), I use it on wet hair. Again, it doesn't matter if it gets dry before it is bone straight. Just pull the dry hair taught and blow the taught section straight.

Does the blow drying dry hair concept make sense to you? Now that I think of it, I can understand how it would sound odd.

That is soooo awesome I will have to look for one! I hate buying stuff online because I have no patience!!! LOL I wonder if I can find it at UL:TA? My domican stylist always does it on wet hair and she is soooooo fast thats why I was worried but the dry thing makes sense. I have been going back threw with a smaller round brush on low after its dry for body so it can't be much different,,,,,, Do you remember the watts I can't seem to find that online anywhere..

:lachen:

But not the store. :-( You have to order it online.
Walmart.com: Search Results for "babyliss"

I checked Walmart for it a few years ago and didn't see it at my local Walmart. I didn't see any of the other good quality blow dryers that I had heard of either. I wasn't trying to knock Walmart. I was merely trying to say that I didn't think they carried good blow dryers there. Sheesh. :lol:

Last edited:
ok now what's the difference between ceramic and tourmaline dryers?

You don't have to choose :yep:

Ideally, you want your blow dryer to have both. And you want it to have a high wattage so that it has a powerful air flow. A hair dryer with a ceramic heater gives off stronger and more even heat to help straighten your hair while the tourmaline (negative ion emitting crystals) promotes smooth and shiny hair.

Ceramic
A ceramic heater provides even heat distribution to help prevent hot spots and hair damage when styling. It is self-regulating and turns itself down as it senses the surrounding temperature. Ceramic dryers also reduce bacteria formation, resulting in a healthier scalp. They also prepare hair to resist the effects of weather conditions, help create lustrous hair that feels freshly conditioned and produce a high-heat drying effect at a lower temperature than your conventional dryer.

Tourmaline

Tourmaline dryers use ground tourmaline in their heating mechanisms, which boosts the ionic power of the dryer and slashes drying time and static.

Last edited:
That is great info lovelylocs, I wish i knew this before so i could have avoided a lot of hit or misses. But then again, both blow driers I had did claim were ceramic and tourmaline.. but it may have been a play on words ... like maybe "ceramic" is different from "ceramic technology"

Is the yellow bird really sold at sally's? is it really 29.99 right now? I have heard of yellow bird, but i didn't know it was so cheap. Are there other yellow birds?

there are other birds lol! like i think they have them in blue and black. but i know that beautifulbrwnbabydol on YT uses it and she has a lot of hair, shes 4a i believe and she also says it works great and it doesnt take long to dry her hair.

the comb attachment is great too! i like it because i can hold it by the nozzle without burning my hand and it hasnt broke on me yet... most of hair dryers' attachments either break, or rip my hair out or never stay on the damn dryer.

i got mines for 35 so if you find it cheaper than that its a steal! and yes its at sallys as well as other bss.

That is great info lovelylocs, I wish i knew this before so i could have avoided a lot of hit or misses. But then again, both blow driers I had did claim were ceramic and tourmaline.. but it may have been a play on words ... like maybe "ceramic" is different from "ceramic technology"

A lot of people don't realize how important a good quality blow dryer is. They think a good blow out is all about skill, but that's not true. The most important thing is a good blow dryer. The rest is rather easy to learn. :yep:

I learned this because I became pretty cool with my hairdresser a few years ago and she agreed to teach me to roller set and blow dry the roots. I bought a hair mannequin and got pretty good, but couldn't duplicate blowing out the roots at home. The one difference was my blow dryer. I was using a Conair dryer that was supposed to be one of their bests . I had some other mediocre dryers at home too and they wouldn't work.

The beauty supply store for professionals in the mall had sample blow dryers that I could test out. I turned them on and blew them on my hand one by one. I could tell the difference. The ceramic one got hot faster and since it was a turbo it had incredible power. I fell in love! They stopped selling that one at the store so I ordered mine online.

It wasn't that expensive and it comes with a 3 year warranty. My whole family is jealous!

you can check out beautifulbrwnbabydol's hair after she blow dried her hair to get a better idea of how it works, mind you she never blow dries her hair to "oblivion" her words lol! so her hair is never bone straight when she does it so...

Hmmm, I don't have anything to add regarding the best blow dryer (I'm in the middle of looking myself). However, I think someone asked about comb attachments. I don't know about you all, but my hair is T-H-I-C-K!!! I'm talking about the kind of hair that will break most comb attachments in half!

I have an excellent attachment, that I love!! It's the Willie Morrow comb attachment. I only heard about this comb from our very own DSD (Dontspeakdefeat). She and many others use it as well. It can be purchased here at folica, but I purchased mine on ebay for a lot less. (sorry don't remember the seller as I purchased a while ago)

Happy hunting ladies!

this thread is so timely for me. im so uncoordinated when it comes to using a blow dryer and using a comb or brush in the other hand. and ive never been a fan of the weak comb attachments that some driers have. my question is, does a blow drier with a quality denman like/ brush like attachment exist?

you can check out beautifulbrwnbabydol's hair after she blow dried her hair to get a better idea of how it works, mind you she never blow dries her hair to "oblivion" her words lol! so her hair is never bone straight when she does it so...

def already checked her out doing my research, my mom said she would get me one so I am going to try it out. I was also reading alot of people's YB's stop working on them,but it's free to me so if I need to purchase a more quality blow dryer in the future I will but I am going to try this one out for now.

I got a yellowbird and it dries the hair so fast especially if u use it on high the airflow is really powerful. My hair is fine so it gets it really straight. I got mine from sallys. I occasionally use it on my daughters 4a/b hair before braiding and it gets really straight too. the comb attachment is very sturdy and not flimsy like others I had in the past which broke on my fine low density hair.

The dryer I was recently gifted and love is the Twin Turbo 3200 ceramic & ionic hair dryer. Like a previous poster stated, its very strong and very popular at the dominican salons. My blowout technique has been slowly improving and this dryer makes getting those silky results quicker and easier.

Another dryer I really like is the FHI Salon Pro 2000. I'm selling mine because I don't need two dryers, but it was fast, created silky results and powerful as well. :)

The dryer I was recently gifted and love is the Twin Turbo 3200 ceramic & ionic hair dryer. Like a previous poster stated, its very strong and very popular at the dominican salons. My blowout technique has been slowly improving and this dryer makes getting those silky results quicker and easier.

Another dryer I really like is the FHI Salon Pro 2000. I'm selling mine because I don't need two dryers, but it was fast, created silky results and powerful as well. :)

I like the Twin Turbo too. :yep: I would recommend this one. I think it is probably just like (or very similar to) my Babyliss. :yep:

Don't you love your ceramic dryer? Also, how would you compare it to your FHI?

I like the Twin Turbo too. :yep: I would recommend this one. I think it is probably just like (or very similar to) my Babyliss. :yep:

Don't you love your ceramic dryer? Also, how would you compare it to your FHI?

I love it soooo much. I used to run to the salon to get my hair blown out when the new growth started to become troublesome. But after the bf bought this dryer and I purchased a couple of good quality boar bristle brushes, I watched a ton of blowout videos and since first trying the dryer, I haven't even considered going to the salon since. My hair is silky, swings and gets nice and straight with little to no effort. I never had these results in the past.

Compared to my FHI, it's definitely louder and more powerful, lol. But my FHI was fabulous as well, I just had my eye on the Twin Turbo for TOO long. :)

Thanks for all of the responses ladies. I am still weighing all of the options:spinning:.

TT-O, what do you use your blow dryer for? Do you merely attach it to a hood dryer? Do you use it for blowouts?

I use it for blowouts for my relaxed hair and my daughter's natural hair.

Back