Baggie Challenge ***Update Month 1***

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
We have been on the baggie challenge for one month. Boy, did that month fly by!!

How is everyone doing?

I think I am progressing alon quite nicely. The baggie is keep my ends supple and completely moisturized.

My ends are looking healthy and I have no splits.

Post your progress ladies!

Now I know that the holidays were here and a few of us probably wore our hair outside of the baggie but that fine, you are still in. :grin: ;)

Baggie challenge participants are as follows. I will put a mark by your name as you check in.

Alli77
Atlien
BabyCurls
BabyGurl
Ballet Bun
BellyDancer
BlackHair
Blkmaryland*
Boadicea
Brickhouse
CaramelDiva
CdFrank
Champagne Wishes*
Chicamorena*
Chichi
ChocoKitty
Cinnabuns
DelightfulFlame*
DigitalRain
Dolapo
Dontspeakdefeat*
EssentialGrowth
Faith*
Falon
Fletgee
FlowerHair
Getmoore*
Good2uuuu*
Hottopic
Ithomas1*
Jellynote*
Kombov Dymond
Laina7777*
LadyR
LadyZ
Leslie C
Lucia*
Luv04
Lovelymissyoli*
Melodee
MermaidHair
MizAvlon*
Mkstar826
Movennesha*
MrsLee
MzJones*
NappyNikki
NewYorkgirl*
Nyambura*
Nymphe*
Nyrican*
Paladin
Portia
PradaLover
PrettyBrownEyes
Puddles*
Rachel
Saddity1
Satrina
Sengschick*
Sharee*
Shawnee66
SherryLove*
Shinka
Simplycee*
SoutherGirl
Tai*
Tryn2growmyhair
UNLVgirl
Val1212*
Valerie*
WildChild453

For each month you check in you will have a star(*) by your name.

event.png

Last edited:
my ends are still looking good and moist as ever... i have added a small amount of aloe vera gel to my split ends treatment... i did a small dusting for appearance sake on 12/16 because there was no need for a major trim......

so far so good!!!!!!

I have to stop putting my hair in a puff due to breakage, but I have been loosely covering my shrunken fro ends with a cap and putting on a snood for bed and at home. Anymore than that and I would have a rainforest on my hands. I need to put this in my journal...oop.

So far, so good! I can't believe how simple and easy it is to protect your ends like this. I wish I had known about this years ago. I will definitely continue doing this long after the challenge ends.

I've been doing the baggie every night with s-curl or oils and my ends feel soft I won't see the results until I unbraid.

I baggie at night and so far my ends are looking great and are very soft and moist. I hope to be able to baggie all day as well soon. I need to figure out how to get my hair color so that it matches my phony pony....lol.

BTW Sherry, you have had amazing growth also. I love your hair!

My ends look great, no splits. I am *finally* beginning to see growth from the SHS's "trim". Vaseline, leave-in, baggie, bun, and phonytail.

I started the baggie method before I knew there was this challenge, but I would like to add that even though I’m not technically in this challenge the baggie method has been doing wonders for my ends. Before I started the baggie method I had just gotten my hair cut. After I washed my hair my ends looked so scraggly (but even) that I couldn’t do anything with my hair. I decided to get my hair cornrowed up into a ponytail and start the baggie method because I wanted to see if it could help out my terrible ends and believe me it did! My ends look really good…I mean really good!! :clap:

I don’t know if you ladies do this, but I leave my baggie on for days at a time and then take it down to moisturize my ends again. I mix different products such as African Pride Oil, Carrot Oil, Fantasia IC’s Leave-in Conditioner treatment, grease, etc to protect my ends. I plan to keep this up as long as I keep my hair braided.

I can't believe it's been a month already! I purchased some more bun covers so that doing this challenge during the day is an option for me. I can tell the diff in my ends too. I'm starting to see that it doesn't really matter what I put on my ends or in the baggie. As long as its moisturizing my ends sty moist.

I haven't been on the challenge long enough but I have noticed that my hair is much more moisturized. I might be keeping this up for a while.

I have been doing this method since September 22nd and it gets better and better. I figured out how to keep the hair moist UNTIL I wash again. I have been putting my mix into the baggie itself. I wasn't doing that before and my ends didn't feel moist (even a day later). But for 2-3 weeks now I've been adding oils and conditioners to m mix and you can tell the difference. I HAD TO texturize on the 1st and I gained about 1". I didn't have to trim anything at all....just a couple splits but NOT as much as I used to get.

Last edited:
Ladies, I have added a list of participants to the top of the thread. When you check in every month I will place a star (*) by your name. For each month you check in you will have a star. This is a reminder that you are still on the challenge.

I know that it is hard to keep up with these challenges sometimes!! :grin:

I have been doing great on the baggie challenge. My ends still look great.

This week, I changed it up a bit. I haven't had my hair in a baggie. I've still been moisturizing my ends and have stolen...hmm, I mean borrowed :D Ayanapooh's curly bun technique. My ends are still protected since they're wrapped up and tucked away. I'll return to the baggie method next week. I'll only do the curly bun when I get bored with the phonytail look.

Well I kind of modified my baggie challenge. Instead of using oils or petroleum, I am using Vitamin E from Sam's Club. So far my ends are doing great. It looks like my hair is getting longer. I am trying to grow out this damage from overlapping the Affirm onto the New Era Gel Relaxer. My hair is breaking but I am not freaking out about it since it has slowed down compare to before. I might do a Keraphix treatment this weekend or Thurday. Wish me luck.

Well, I gotta be honest... I haven't figured the baggie thing out, so I abandoned the ship. :ohwell: I saw way too many broken hairs b/c I was obviously using the wrong things in the baggie. And since I manipulate my hair (low manip.) I wasn't getting all the added benefits (no heat, no manipulation, 24/7 coverage, etc). I could still do it at night I guess, but I was just disappointed by the breakage. Maybe I'll give it another go, at least at night.

Was doing it at night when I wore twists...but the itching got to be unbearable so I abandoned ship.

However, this week that I have been wearing a puff, I've been doing it. It's been working great! So it's a keeper for now.

Checking in: A month already? What date was day 1? I had braids in for the last 6 weeks so I usally do a baggy at night (cover my head with a plastic shopping bag :D ). I got a touch up on Monday, so I'll wear my hair out in a loose bun until this weekend when I'll wash and return to my usual 24/7 bun routine. My hair looks great.

I love my baggie method!!! I have been doing this since May 2004 and it has helped me make it below bra strap. I will continue to use this method until I reach waist length. It is great on my ends and for retaining length. I love this challenge!!!

DSD...I had to laugh when I saw the comment about wearing hair out over the holidays :) I did the baggie method for almost two months and when the holidays came...I was soooo happy to show my swinging growing hair that I not only stopped the baggie method but I also used my ceramic iron....Needless to say, I came running back to the baggie method and the baggie method welcomed me back home with open arms!!!!! :lachen: It feels good to be home!!!!!!

i have been putting shea butter on my hair and my hair is so moist then I wear the baggie on all day and night and i cowash every 3 days

sengschick said:
Well, I gotta be honest... I haven't figured the baggie thing out, so I abandoned the ship. :ohwell: I saw way too many broken hairs b/c I was obviously using the wrong things in the baggie. And since I manipulate my hair (low manip.) I wasn't getting all the added benefits (no heat, no manipulation, 24/7 coverage, etc). I could still do it at night I guess, but I was just disappointed by the breakage. Maybe I'll give it another go, at least at night.

Sorry it's not working for you Sengs! The baggie is not for everyone. You have to listen to your hair's needs first and then go from there.

I would have stopped too had my hair been breaking. Good Luck to you!

DelightfulFlame said:
Was doing it at night when I wore twists...but the itching got to be unbearable so I abandoned ship.

However, this week that I have been wearing a puff, I've been doing it. It's been working great! So it's a keeper for now.

Do what's best for your hair!!

mzjones said:
Checking in: A month already? What date was day 1? I had braids in for the last 6 weeks so I usally do a baggy at night (cover my head with a plastic shopping bag :D ). I got a touch up on Monday, so I'll wear my hair out in a loose bun until this weekend when I'll wash and return to my usual 24/7 bun routine. My hair looks great.

I posted this thread at the beginning of the month. I decided to bump it up for more responses. Day one was December 1,2004!!

I am glad your hair is doing well!!

blkmaryland said:
DSD...I had to laugh when I saw the comment about wearing hair out over the holidays :) I did the baggie method for almost two months and when the holidays came...I was soooo happy to show my swinging growing hair that I not only stopped the baggie method but I also used my ceramic iron....Needless to say, I came running back to the baggie method and the baggie method welcomed me back home with open arms!!!!! :lachen: It feels good to be home!!!!!!

Glad to have you back and focused back on the challenge. I know that when we do these type of things we can suffer from "burn out" That's why it is ok to take a small break every now and again just as long as you get back to usual.

We welcome you back with open arms!!;)

NYRICAN said:
i have been putting shea butter on my hair and my hair is so moist then I wear the baggie on all day and night and i cowash every 3 days
Shea butter sound like a great idea for the ends. I may have to give that one a try!!

Valerie, that's great to hear!!

Sharee, I am sorry that you experienced breakage. I am glad you did what is best for your hair!! HHG

Back